New to the site but not to dry eye--a post for lasik dry eye sufferers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to the site but not to dry eye--a post for lasik dry eye sufferers

It's my turn to share my story. Dig in, cause this will take me a while. It's interesting and you may learn something that can help.
    I owe it to this site after everything I have garnered here of great value. I hope my post may unlock some suffering from anyone.
    Got waveform custom lasik in Salt Lake City in February of 2009 by one of the best outfits in the nation. Prior to getting lasik I was confined to glasses. I had contacts as a youth and loved them. A doctor I had perscribed new contacts and was hesitating about telling me something. I asked him what it was. He said these soft lenses are approved for 24 hour wear. I didn't hesistate and wore them to scout camp all week. lGave it a break and then went to family camp the next week never taking them off. I went to the hospital from our vacation site and I had developed GPC and growth of blood vessels into the cornea. I started to wear glasses and the symptoms went away. I tried contacts a couple times after that I they never felt comfortable again. I wonder what happened and I wonder if it had something to do with my lasik nightmare.
    Anyway back to lasik. I waited patiently until custom lasik was available and all lasik because of fewer complications. I was very near sighted 8.50 and 9.25 and I wonder if that was what contributed to my dry eye.
    The doctors at the clinic were sure I was a great candidate. I asked a lot of questions and went for it. I followed the aftercare advice (which was decent compared to some I've read here) to perfection. After three weeks my 20/20 vision in my most dry eye dropped to .50 and eventually now to 1.25. My left eye does better but has dropped to 1.00. Disappointing but I got over it.
    The place I got my lasik from offered unlimited appointments for free for one year. However their knowledge of chronic dry eye from lasik was inadequate. They just kept saying to "hang in there. One month, no you wont see it until three months, no no just give it six months. At one year you'll notice a difference."
    I waited patiently for a year and at my last visit the head Dr who the clinic is named after said "well your right eye qualifies for a free enhancement. Let us know if you want to do it." Had he not looked at my chart or seen anything as he looked in my eyes. I had severe dry eye (Two to three vials of systane a day, burning pain, suicidal thoughts, life restrictions and dealing with the biggest disappointment in life) and he was recommending an enhancement. I politely said I would think about it and never returned.
    There is so much heartache that accompanies this problem because of the loss of things I used to be able to do. Add that to the pain and thoughts of a ruined life and the rest of your days in this state and it gets hard to manage. That's been my toughest challenge. I've had a hard time accepting my predicament as you'll see below.

At the year mark March 2010 I was desparate so I ordered a bottle of Hydro Eye and a bottle of Theralife Eye. Theralife came first and I started to use it. I work on a computer pretty much all day so it is murder for dry eyes. I was using systane PF drops every half hour or more as needed. On the weekend I might go two hours (if distracted) before my eyes would need drops being indoors and no breeze. Well, after one week on Theralife I was down to one drop on my first weekend. I praised God and couldn't believe how blessed I was. Computer work seemed difficult but my drops went way down. I would still need help with drops on the computer but I was getting my old life back.

Thinking it couldn't hurt, I added the Hydro Eye to my regimen. It didn't seem to help as much and at one point I asked for a refund. After I went off it though I noticed that it had helped extend some relief when I used it together with the Theralife so I continued using it. I felt awesome during the day. I stil had to use Genteal Gel at night (something about the damage the laser did) but during the day was great. I could use the computer longer, I had fewer problems, I had less pain. I just had to be careful I didn't over do it. Things were so much more manageable. I even went back to school to finish my MBA. I think after about two months of use on Theralife I was getting its maximum value.

Now things couldn't end there or it wouldn't be a great life story. In June, July and September of 2010 I started to feel anxious when non dry eye challenges would surface (work, family, etc) Now I have a history of anxiety even before lasik but I didn't have any full-time anxiety due to the lasik. I was dealing more with depression and suicidal thoughts.

All of the sudden in September while I was giving a karaoke party my anxiety hit. Now let me explain. There is anxiety that comes and goes and anxiety that is persistent. What hit now was the persistent anxiety that can ruin your life if you don't know how to deal with it. Because of my previous expereince with it and overcoming it, I was somewhat ready for it.

I kept up my eye supplements and even noticed a greater relief with my dry eye than ever before. My focus was my anxiety though. I tried on my own to beat it for about a month and had to go on meds.

I still had anxiety but the meds made it barely managable. I also developed the urge to go to the bathroom all the time. Even after I would go, I still felt the urge. For six months I battled everything while going to work full time, working on my MBA and serving in my Church.

At six months I refilled my Prozac and got a different brand. Within a week things calmed way down. My dry eye came back fierce one day and it scared me. At this point I began to wonder if my eye vitamins were causing my anxiety. Only one way to find out, I had to go off the Prozac.

I started slowly going off the Prozac taking one every other day. I hated the day I had to take it because my eyes got drier. Eventually it was every three days and then after three weeks cold turkey.

May 2011--Scared to death to stop taking my eye vitamins, I contued and had peace for about two months. In july at a family party there was a problem and my anxiety flared. I calmed down and knew I needed to test the vitamins. I was so scared thinking my life would have to return to the hell I once knew. Even though the constant anxety pain was horrible I think the dry eyes were worse. I started with the Hydro Eye and noticed that it caused tingling in my groin and some anxiety. I thought I had it pegged and quick it immediately.

August 2011--For a month I used just Theralife and using it n a different regimen (One in morning, one at noon, one at evening time) Before I used to take two in morning and two at night as recommmended but always ended up feeling a little dry by afternoon. This regimen fixed. My eyes improved until I was hit one night with extreme anxiety.

Sept. 2011--At this point I went off of all my vitamins. And if you haven't thought this story is unusual so far you will now. My dry eye was very manageable. Does constant anxiety csuse increased tear production? I used only one or two drops a day taking nothing. Some days I used no drops even working on a computer. I even started playing the Wii with my daughter for hours at a time with no to little discomfort.

Late December 2011--I thought maybe my eyes were healing. I would have bouts of anxiety here in there but nothing like what i had almost two years ago. Then it hit. Over a calming holiday week my persistent anxiety switched off and my dry eye came back with its fury. I was so scared! I was reliving all of the pain over again. For two weeks I started taking Theralife again and it started to increase my anxiety and bathroom urge but relieve my dry eye. Then my anxiety kicked back on and the relief started to come.

Present day--I'm home sick with the flu today. My anxiety is very manageable and my dry eye is starting to come back. I'm trying to prepare myself in every way to deal with it when my anxiety stops.

Lessons learned so far:
    Tried Restasis for two weeks. Could feel it help a little but expense and burning made me stop.
    Flax seed oil caused me anxiety
    Fish oil caused me anxiety
    Hydro Eye caused me anxiety (has fish oil in it)
    Theralife worked so good but caused me anxiety (No fish oil in it. does anyone else experience this. I talked to the Theralife Dr and she said it does not cause anxiety)
    Persistent anxety helps dry eye a lot.

I wish all of you well in your journies. Thanks for reading.

Interesting read, not sure about the anxiety helping dry eye for other people. I have found that when I'm anxious my dry eye seems much worse. Glad to hear things have improved for you though.

Comment

Working...
    X