misery after EPI-LASIK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• misery after EPI-LASIK

Hello everyone, my name is Joanna, I am 32, I come from Poland but currently I live in France.

Two years ago I was still a happy person wearing glasses. In July 2010 I did my life mistake - EPI-LASIK surgery.

I hesitated a lot as they told me that my cornea was thin, but after a lot of thinking I decided to go for it, as they said they would reduce to -0.75 from -6,75 (right) and to -0.5 from -5.5 and -2 astigmatism (left).
    Unfortunately in the left eye there is still some astigmatism that was not reduced so I have to were glasses most of a time anyway

My eyes have became dry and extremely sensitive to the sunlight. I can’t go out without sunglasses even when there is not much sun. I have special gasses, darker than normal, for summer + I have to wear a hat.

I had a slightly dry eye before, which made me uncomfortable with lenses, but otherwise I didn't even have to use any drops.
    I obviously mentioned to the doctor I couldn't were lenses, but to her it was a good reason to do the surgery. She didn't worn me it can get so dry

First year after the surgery I was quiet optimistic. I was trying to get used to the drops and air humidifier and I was waiting it gets better.

In August, a year after the surgery I had my first big cornea erosion in my left eye. I spent couple of days in dark bedroom with my pain and dark thoughts.
    This spring I had 3 erosions in a few weeks distance. They always come when I wake up.

The last one completely broke me down.

I get up every 2-3 hours to put more vit A ointment, I am so stressed I can have the erosion again.

My job contract was not extended, they say it’s for economical reason, but I think my sickness leave could have had an influence.

I can’t stop thinking why? Why?
    Why did I want this surgery? I am getting mad thinking of it all the time even, when I am not in a pain.

I would love to hear about a person who did EPI-LASIK and got better after some time.

Will I ever be able to go out without the sunglasses? Will I be able to go out for a weekend without air humidifier? Will I sleep more than 4 hours?

Joanna,

I had LASIK, not EPI-LASIK, so I'm not sure how meaningful my story will be to you. But LASIK is supposed to be worse than EPI-LASIK when it comes to dry eye so maybe you can glean some comfort in that - at least you had the least-damaging surgery that is out there right now.

I too tried to be optimistic after LASIK, probably for a little over a year, then major stress hit and the dry eye kicked in really bad. It's taken me a long time to figure out what is wrong with me, but once you find out what your problem is (other than the EPI-LASIK), you will be on the road to recovery. If I were you, I would ask myself, why couldn't I wear contacts before LASIK? I think that once you find out what your core problem is, you should be able to start on a regimen that will fix things. You couldn't tolerate contacts - why not? What is the underlying issue?

Do you have a basement membrane dystrophy or, what is causing the erosions? Have you tried Muro ointment? A lot of people who suffer from erosions on this site use it with great results.

I found out that I have Meibomian Gland Dysfunction or "MGD" as it is sometimes called. It can also be referred to as "blepharitis." Either way it's when the oil glands in the eye don't work right. I have gotten this problem largely under control and while I still have bad days here and there, I live in comfort the majority of the time.

Feel free to send me a private message or ask any questions you might have.

Rose

Comment

Thank you for your answer Rose. I'll check if Muro Ointment is available here.
      It seems that you have more options in the US.
      Here in France they don't have enough eye doctors, delays are frustrating. In the beggining of May I booked an appointment in eye clinic in Paris - they gave me date for November.

Comment

Hi Joanna.I am also Polish,from Warsaw

Where did you get you surgery?
        And what is corneal erosion?

Comment

Hello Mariposa

I had the surgery in Oko Laser ul. Grzybowska).

Corneal erosion po polsku to ubytki nablonka rogowki, very very painful...

Comment

Hi Joanna, I had PRK surgery 6 months ago and have severe dry eyes immediately right after that. Before the surgery I haven't experience any eye dryness. How are your eyes now? do still need drops often?
            I use gel and artificial tears many times during the day. My shirmer test and TBUT are very bad. How about yours?

Comment

Hi HNautumn,
              After a very painful summer I am better, thanks.
              I have 4 puncta plugs and I only use drops during the night. I am searching for other solution though, because 4 plugs is not exactly what I want, there are moments I am ok and others when I cry badly, I have to wipe my cheeks all the time and I don't see well through the tears.
              I don't know my TBUT, nobody checked it. On schirmer test without anastesia I had so much tearing from irritation that it had to be stopped before 5 minutes.
              Have you tried plugs? Do you have erosions?

Comment

Hi Joanna, Im gald to hear that you are getting better. I dont have erosions and I haven't tried plugs yet but i think i should try it soon because i have very low tears on schirmer test. I just start using Restasis for few days and use drops many time during the day, at night i have to wake up 2 time to drops.

Comment

Hi Joanna, You should check the threads on acupuncture. A few people seemed to have big improvements after some sessions; it does take about 2 months for it to kick in but apparently it's worked for people when Western medicine has failed. The hard part is finding a good acupuncturist; you should probably go to a Chinese one who is traditionally trained with a good reputation cause the ones with certificates from taking a class won't be very effective.

Comment

Working...
                  X