Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to forum

Hello,

I'm new to this forum and to dry eyes in general, so I wanted to introduce myself and see if anyone has any advice for me. To begin with, I'm female, age 51, who is perimenopausal and also a type 1.5 diabetic. I take various medications such as Lantus & Januvia for my diabetes, simvastatin for elevated cholesterol, baby aspirin, and zyrtec & patanol for seasonal allergies. My first episode of dry eyes happen last fall, approx one month after having dealt with a shingles outbreak on the forehead, scalp line, and right eyelid (actual eye not affected). As shingles outbreaks go, mine was relatively minor although painful. Now I have dry eyes and this after 25 yrs of successfully wearing contacts with no dry eye issues! Not sure if the dry eyes now are related to impending menopause, the shingles episode, or the medications I'm on, but not being able to wear contacts is a real pain! I tried the temporary punctal plugs and they worked great, but the effect only lasted for 1 month. I'm considering permanent plugs on the lower lids. My eye Dr. has given me Restasis, which I just started two days ago. Doesn't burn like most people said it would but I am feeling constriction in my throat like my tonsils are swollen. Will this side effect lessen with time?

Thanks for any advice given!

~Krista
Working...
X