New scleral lenses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New scleral lenses

Hey y'all. My dry eyes started when I was a teenager, yet apparently they weren't dry enough to have Lasik(now they would be). I had Lasik in 1999, and I was good for a while, but then about 7 years later I started having dry eyes and changing vision again. Then, corneal abreasions, corneal sloughing, and scarring. Since then, I have had punctal plugs, punctal cautery(X2), tried Restasis, etc. I saw numerous ophthalmologists over several years, because of lots of moving. I know how it feels to be so excited about seeing a new doctor only to be let down because he's a jerk. I have had great experiences at the Wilmer Eye Institute with Dr. Akpek and anyone at the Virginia Eye Institute in Richmond, VA. Recently I went to the Emory Clinic and saw Dr. Shah. She was so nice! I went through all the things I had done and she really listened. We came up with a plan together(I had heard of scleral lenses before and had mentioned them, she said that she thought those were a great idea and was going to suggest them too). I was fitted for them at Emory by a wonderful optometrist, Dr. Ward, and picked them up last week. So far they've been good, my vision is good and they are comfortable. However, they get cloudy a bunch, and I have to take them out and wash them a few times a day. That's my only issue so far. Apparently I need to go find oil free undereye cream and oil free concealer, but I think once I figure all that out I will be really happy with these. I kind of wish that I had done this first before being run through the ringer with everything else. Also, I love to run/bike, does anyone wear the scleral lenses while running/biking? Good sunglasses to wear with them? Anyone swim with the lenses in with goggles?

BTW, I love the little rice baggy warm compress on this website. I am kind of at the point where I will try anything, so I love all the suggestions.

Hi chamby1,

I started having dry eyes 6 years after Lasik (and that was last year). What have the doctors told you about? Do they blame Lasik for your dry eyes?
    In my case they use to say that Lasik is ate least a factor.

I'm in bad days and i started warm compresses yesterday (not the rice baggy, but a mas with seeds that i suppose is similar to the rice baggy).
    I get a great relief after the warm compress. But, it doesn't last too long. I think you should try it.

Comment

Working...
    X