Yet another dry patient!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yet another dry patient!

Hello everyone! I've been lurking around on these forums for awhile now and thought it would be nice if I actually joined and introduced myself.

I've been a dye eye sufferer for the past 3 years exactly (anniversary was two days ago). It all started when I had to undergo my first jaw surgery at 23 years old, I suffered from a bone tumor that grew around my tmj and locked my jaw shut (couldn't open more than 4mm). The surgery didn't go as well as I'd hoped, even though for my safety I had to get it done. I woke up with extensive nerve damage to that side of my face (right side), I was unable to move anything on that side including my blinking mechanism. I had no idea what this would entail, my life went from worrying about my jaw and taking care of that to 24/7 care of my eye. Right away they brought me to the ophthalmology department (this was at OHSU in Portland Oregon, great hospital), I was given Genteal to use every 1/2 hour and instructed on how to use ointment and tape my eye at night since it would not close at all and I was at risk for infection and corneal damage. It was a pain, I had no idea really what I was doing so I would just put this gel into my eye anytime it was sore and ended up having a horrible reaction to it that made my eye swell up and break out in bumps. They put me on Refresh liquigel instead and it cleared up, I remained on that drop until just a few days ago. I still ended up with so many problems from not being able to blink so around 6 months later they put a gold weight in my eyelid that really saved my eye, I was finally able to close it fully at night and blink way more than I was (still not perfect, but BIG improvement). So pretty much fast forward and I'm here. My eye seems to be stable as long as I use drops 3-4 times a day, I also use my tranquil eyes quite a bit and I went from using ointment at night to dabbing a bit of olive oil around my lower lids (a little irritating but better than the ointment). I've also started taking flax oil and a few other supplements. Hoping to someday be able to ween off of drops now that I'm able to blink better and close at night. Oh and a few days ago I stopped using Refresh Liguigel and switched to their brand new Optive Advanced, I know its only been a few days but I love it! It's very refreshing and seems to last longer, hopefully that feeling stays. I am also hoping they make a preservative free kind soon since I really want to start using a PF drop.

Well anyways, I don't really have any questions yet but I'm sure I will soon, I just wanted to introduce myself and give so much thanks for this forum, it has honestly helped me even more than my doctors have since they are 3 hours away and I can't just ask them anything at anytime. This forum is great!!

-Tricia

Welcome Roxy: Sounds like quite a nightmare what with the jaw thing and all Sounds like you are making some good improvements and hopefully it will soon be a thing of the past. There are some very knowledgeable people on this forum if you do have questions though, it has been a Godsend for me...cheers...F/G

Comment

Working...
    X