Slk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slk

Hi all, I am from Cincinnati. My Story- about 4 years ago I could not even open my eyes, I did not know what the heck was going on. I went to doc after doc-I was freaking out. Finallly I found a doc that diagnosed me with SLK. He gave me contacts to put in eyes and I can finally keep them opened. My eyes still bother me a lot. I cant be around any type of air vents. It sucks when it is 100 degrees. I have not tried goggles yet. I was just hoping one day I will wake up and it would be gone as fast as it came. I can feel my eyes swelling inside, does anyone else have this problem? I read that they are other things they can do for this but my doc says that I am not bad enough yet. Anyone else diagnosed with SLK?

Hi, Daphane. I have SLK although after starting to wear contacts in March, I think it's finally gone into remission. There are 5 or 6 other people with SLK who frequent this site.

Prior to wear ing contacts, I found Systane Ultra, cold compresses and Refresh PM provided some relief. Plugs in my upper tear ducts helped the most, but didn't stay in all that well.

Any air movement caused inflammation in my eyes, which burned and caused the dryness to be even worse than it already was. Goggles do help. I wore them in the car all the time.

Comment

what is slk? ihave sjogrens..just curious.thanks.)
      Jenny

Comment

Originally posted by jenny2008 View Post
        what is slk? ihave sjogrens..just curious.thanks.)
        I found this in a quick google search:

Superior limbic keratoconjunctivitis is characterized as an inflammation of the superior bulbar conjunctiva with predominant involvement of the superior limbus, an adjacent epithelial keratitis, and a papillary hypertrophy of the upper tarsal conjunctiva.

more at: http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1194578-overview

Comment

OMG I cant take the air at all anywhere. I drive by myself or my husband and I are always turning air on then off and so on. I am a nurse and I have trouble working in hospitals because of the air so I work in nursing homes and I am prn at 3 places because its so hard for me. I dont think the contacts are as good as they were a year ago. The other day I had 45 minutes where I felt great and my eyes where like they were before this, then it came right back. How long did this go on for you. I am hoping mine will go away soon. I am so happy for you that you are in remission

Comment

Where did you get your goggles (from dry eye store) or did you just buy regular pair

Comment

So your eyes dont bother you at all anymore

Comment

Superior Limbic Keratoconjuntivitis. In other words inflammation of the top part of your eye. The pressure OMG

Comment

Riding in the car is the worst. I went to Gander Mountain and bought over the glasses goggles. Also went to WalMart where they customized some prescription glasses for me. do you wear glasses? At work, where the air is air-conditioned, dry and is forced through the building, I carried a cooler of ice and kept an eye mask in it to use. Cold compresses helped. just a cold, wet paper towel helped a bit when I got desperate. my eyes get better every day.

Comment

Working...
                  X