Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question please.

Hello!

I have been lurking around this website for well over a year and finally have the inclination to post!!

Like many of you, I have severe dry eyes and have run the gamut of treatments including punctal plugs, autologolous serum, restasis, lacriserts, omega threes etc... (I am sure I have left something out)!! Right now, I have a new condition -conjuntiv. chalasis - whichI am treating with lotemax. Needless to say, nothing has worked. I am heading to Boston to be fitted for the scleral lens and am very hopeful that this will be the answer to my prayers. I have read all the posts regarding the success/non-success rate but does anyone have any tips to ensure success?? I am sooooooo worried that this too will fail-- My dry eyes wax and wane-- I felt great over the summer but have nosedived over the last 6 weeks. I am a 55 year old woman and have positive blood work for sjorgens and lupus but so far, I only have the dry eye component.

Thank you very much for any insight (no pun intended)

Originally posted by Amyfloor View Post
    Hello!

I have been lurking around this website for well over a year and finally have the inclination to post!!

Like many of you, I have severe dry eyes and have run the gamut of treatments including punctal plugs, autologolous serum, restasis, lacriserts, omega threes etc... (I am sure I have left something out)!! Right now, I have a new condition -conjuntiv. chalasis - whichI am treating with lotemax. Needless to say, nothing has worked. I am heading to Boston to be fitted for the scleral lens and am very hopeful that this will be the answer to my prayers. I have read all the posts regarding the success/non-success rate but does anyone have any tips to ensure success?? I am sooooooo worried that this too will fail-- My dry eyes wax and wane-- I felt great over the summer but have nosedived over the last 6 weeks. I am a 55 year old woman and have positive blood work for sjorgens and lupus but so far, I only have the dry eye component.

Thank you very much for any insight (no pun intended)
    What does one do if your body doesn't produce tears? Are there any remedies to reverse this? Thank you!

Comment

What does one do if your body doesn't produce tears? are there any remedies to reverse that??

Comment

Originally posted by Amyfloor View Post
        I have read all the posts regarding the success/non-success rate but does anyone have any tips to ensure success?? I am sooooooo worried that this too will fail--
        My advice would be, (1) Go prepared. Expect it to be an emotionally tumultous time - it usually is. But you'll enjoy meeting other people there too. (2) Focus on the idea of incremental improvement as opposed to fix/cure. (3) If you have any trouble with insertion/removal, try not to sweat it. It virtually always works out over time.

My dry eyes wax and wane-- I felt great over the summer but have nosedived over the last 6 weeks.
        Right on schedule. Fall comes, we turn on the heat, and kerplunk down we all go. (Not that that's necessarily your case, just saying ). I've had a harder time the last few weeks too. Somehow I never quite get ahead of the game or expect it to hit as early as it does.
        Rebecca Petris
        The Dry Eye Foundation
        dryeyefoundation.org
        800-484-0244

Comment

Amy you could look into diet. theres quite a bit of anecdotal evidence on the internet of people healing some of their autoimmune conditions on a GAPS/SCD/Paleo diet. The GAPS book is great to just get an understanding of how diet can create antibodies against benign particles from digested food. The gut is one of the key players in regulating your immune system so this makes sense. Just do a google search for autoimmune diet and that should get you on your way if you're interested in learning more.

Comment

Thank you very much for the information. I will definitely check out the various diets. I do follow a low carb, low calorie diet but apparently it is not enough.

Comment

Thanks Rebecca, I have followed your BFS success from start to finish. Are you still doing well? You are right, small steps is the way to go.
              Will keep you posted.

Comment

I'm doing great overall. Never 'perfect', just functional. This time of year things get a little harder, always does once the heat comes on. Plus I'm doing a lot of work out on our property, clearing, building etc so I'm always getting crud in my eyes and haven't been able to wear the lenses as much as I need to . But with careful management things are usually pretty well under control.
                Rebecca Petris
                The Dry Eye Foundation
                dryeyefoundation.org
                800-484-0244

Comment

Working...
                X