Mgd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mgd

Has anyone been prescribed dexamthazone? The strength is 0.01%. I have MGD and my last appt. with my eye doctor involved scraping keratin from my eyelids. Is that common? I want to stop the cycle of inflammation, and will stop using mineral oil or petroleum jelly at night to see if that makes a difference. I will try thera-tear gel at night because genteal gel seems to cause irritation.

Blessings, We're using dexamethosone 0.01% preservative free because we haven't got preservative-free Fluorometholone in the UK. http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/d...s/a682869.html We always make sure to gently close the tear drain in the eye corner next to the nose with the fingers to prevent it draining into the system. Also we wipe away any excess with warm water cotton wool.

Assuming you know it's a steroid to temporarily control inflammation. If you do a search here (search box top right) there's a few incidences of raised intraocular pressure so I'd be getting an IOP test within a week/10 days of starting, then regular intervals while you're on it.

Did Restasis not work for you to control inflammation? Are you in a blepharitis flare-up? Which part of your eyelids is he scraping keratin off - never heard of that one
    Paediatric ocular rosacea ~ primum non nocere

Comment

I am using restasis. I had lipiflow done on October 2nd. Most of my meibomian glands have closed off again, so the doctor scraped the inner eye lids on both eyes to scrape keratin off to allow the glands to secrete oil again. It has been over 2 months since the lipiflow, and the dexamethosone is another way to control inflammation and prevent the glands from blocking. Wondering if the soothe lubricant I am using at night contributes to gland blocking since this lubricant has mineral oil and petroleum jelly. Trying to keep the inner eyelids where the meibomian glands are located free of keratin. I do have blepharitits, but I do not know why it is causing MGD.

Comment

This is what worries me about going onto Restasis only. With on/off mgd, I think we might need to use a steroid as well for flareups. Is this pretty much what people think? Are you using an antibacterial like Azasite when the glands clog? And changing the lipids from the inside out by taking oral omega 3 oils? I'm getting the glands clear on a short course of azithromycin, then we're OK for a bit and can reduce the anti-inflammatories. I'm not seeing why the Soothe lubricant would block the mgs unless you're allergic/sensitive and getting a bit of inflammation - but you would probably see that as a red eyelid underneath or along the eyelid rim in the morning(?) We are keeping things good on daily warm compress and especially in a warm shower. But then we have flareups like you when the glands clog again.

http://www.dryeyezone.com/talk/showt...Workshop(DEWS) Here's a pretty useful thread on various protocols for degrees of blepharitis and sensitive eyes. I was just listening to the Marguerite MacDonald talk again for inspiration x
        Paediatric ocular rosacea ~ primum non nocere

Comment

Working...
        X