Old and New

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old and New

Hi all, my first post here. Like all of you, I wish I did not need to be here, but I am happy this site is here for us.
    I found you by just looking up stuff on dry eye.
    I am an older man, a "boots on the ground" as they say today, veteran of the Vietnam war.
    My dry eye started in June this year, I was put on Restasis the first part of July.
    About two months ago I had the gland probing procedure done to no avail, although the Doc was not satisfied either as it was really uncomfortable for me and I couldn't hold my head still enough for him to do as much as he needed to do. So, I may try it again.
    As anyone here had this procedure with good results?
    I think the Restasis works well for the tear part of this, but MGD really is tough.
    So anyway, that is my story to date.
    I'll re post after I try the probing again, which will probably be next month.

Also I'm flying to L A in a few days to spend the holiday with family.
    Any suggestions for the flying part of this trip ( I hear airplanes are really a dry place to be) would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you all, and happy and safe holidays to you.
    Veteran69

You are very welcome, Veteran69, this is a wonderful website, a very mutually supportive international bunch. My teenager did an overland airconditioned coach trip and survived by sleeping as much as possible, using sleep masks and wraparounds, and frequent lubricant eyedrops. The worst part was the not-dozing because of the circumstances, everyone talking, unfamiliar environment, lights, so I would say make yourself a cocoon of comfort, esp with the wraparound sunglasses which are very stylish now, and prioritising on your eyes without trying to fit in with other people too much. She also knew she had to keep as hydrated as possible but sipped water throughout rather than glugged it down so as not to need the bathroom so much, lol. With the MGD, it's very important not to skip the warm compress and cleaning while travelling. As long as you can boil a kettle or access hot water, you can use a steamy flannel, and we prioritise on a good shower for eye treatment. Her second coach trip gave her an eye flareup, and we seriously think it was the low-budget junk food clogging her meibomian glands (this was a European tour with her orchestra). It's not always easy to eat healthy when travelling but if you are staying with family, it'll be much nicer x
    Last edited by littlemermaid; 18-Dec-2012, 04:33.
    Paediatric ocular rosacea ~ primum non nocere

Comment

Thank you for the advice littlemermaid, I feel really bad that such a young person has to deal with this condition.
      The best of luck and good fortune to her. She is lucky though to have such a good mom.
      Thanks again,
      The old Vet

Comment

Thanks Veteran, Blepharitis is very common in children, just like adults - it normally gets fixed quite easily but I guess a tough one comes along sometimes, just like adults. Medical science is so fascinating with new fixes and techniques all the time. We are very lucky to have fine paediatric eye docs and very thankful to be able to access them. Wish you the most wonderful holiday in LA with the family, and hope you get some replies here on the meibomian gland probing. Are you happy with your eye regime?
        Paediatric ocular rosacea ~ primum non nocere

Comment

Working...
        X