Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is ilasik a good option

Hi All ,

i am hesitating whether to go for Lasik surgery or not , i am 33 yrs old , and my glasses revealed is -6.75 both eyes ... i went to many doctors within my city (cairo/egypt) all of them considered me as a good candidate , if I am going to perform Lasik ,I will select a good doctor from USA OR GERMANY , I do not have any issues considering costs , what I am afraid from is the complications , I read a lot of good stories and some terrible stories , I do not know , what is the correct decision

i hope very much to have sharp vision , I hate glasses , but i am afraid from Lasik

Thanks

Hi,

You will find here only people who will say to do not go for Lasik.

There are a lot of people here who didiLasik with the best doctors.

The truth is that none doctor is able to know if your nerves will regenerate, neither how they will regenerate.

The cornea is the part of the body with more nerves. Do not destroy your life for a aesthethic reason.

Do not trust the doctors who perfom it. They want money, and they repeat the biases researches done to support lasik.

If I had read about the lasik problems on the web, and this board in particular, I would never have chosen to do it.
    Last edited by bakunin; 21-Dec-2012, 08:06.

Comment

I chose the most experienced dr. where I live, he was also the most expensive. This dr. trained other dr's here on how to do the procedure apparently. But none of this saved me from the way I am now.

The only thing sure to save you from a horror story outcome is not getting LASIK. If you get LASIK, just make sure you can live with it if you end up like me, or one of the many others here on this board - if you don't think you can handle that in the worst case scenario, then don't do it. I realize odds are you'll have a successful surgery, but there is also a chance you'll end up with problems - please do not underestimate the impact that those problems can have on your life, your ability to work, your ability to do the simplest things like keeping your eyes open without pain.

I assume Egypt has a fairly low humidity climate - that makes any dryness that much worse. Do you work on a computer regularly? If you end up with badly dry eyes from LASIK, you will likely have to change careers to one that does not require computer use.

Again, odds are none of that will happen... but what if it DOES? Can you handle it? It happens to some people, why not you? My LASIK surgeon claimed it wouldn't happen to me, or any of his patients - clearly he didn't know what he was talking about - all of his experience and training didn't prevent this.

Comment

Originally posted by Ibrahim View Post
        Hi All ,

i am hesitating whether to go for Lasik surgery or not , i am 33 yrs old , and my glasses revealed is -6.75 both eyes ... i went to many doctors within my city (cairo/egypt) all of them considered me as a good candidate , if I am going to perform Lasik ,I will select a good doctor from USA OR GERMANY , I do not have any issues considering costs , what I am afraid from is the complications , I read a lot of good stories and some terrible stories , I do not know , what is the correct decision

i hope very much to have sharp vision , I hate glasses , but i am afraid from Lasik

Thanks
        I would go for contacts instead if you can torelate them. Contacts are good these days.
        I got allergic to contacts in the 80s, had LASIK and the method before that, MKM, which was even more brutal, and I was minus 12. I was lucky then, no complications except the fact that my vision have relapsed over time. BUT today I have developed dry eyes which make my life a constant struggle, and doctors think my refractive surgery may well be a factor in this. In mycket eye clinic they do not do LASIK over thé limit minus 6. Above that they do Change the intraocular lense instead. I have done this as well in one eye, and I would have gone for that instead if I needed a surgery today.

Comment

Thanks a lot SAAG for sharing your experience , sure i can`t handle or withstand any complications , on the other hand it is difficult to accept that there is no cure for my eyes and I will always wear glasses , but it seems it is the right decision....
          May be Lasik surgery now is more secure , I think you did Lasik on 2005 , correct?
          Doctors telling that ilasik is much less painless than traditional Lasik

Thanks again

Comment

Thanks Bakunin , i will not go for Lasik ..
            Thanks for the advice

Comment

Hi sunshinelover,

Yes contacts is a good option , but i feel that it is not suitable for men , i feel it is for girls/women

i will not go for any operation , i feel i am fine , after i read others posts i feel that glasses is not bad

Comment

One other thing I'd add is this - you're close to my age, in your 30's - you'll probably live another 50 years... maybe 60. Our eyes tend to get drier as we age. Even if you end up with mild dry eye, what will it become when you are old? And if you're like me with very severe dry eyes, what will become of you then when you are old... especially in a dry climate. My eyelids stick to my eyeballs when I sleep so I cannot open my eyes without a lubricant that I ever-so-carefully allow to leak between my lids... it sometimes takes me what seems like 10 minutes to get my eyes open (of course since I cannot open my eyes to see the clock, I can't be sure of the time). Needless to say, it will be veeeeery interesting to see how I manage with those little eyedrop containers when I'm old and maybe have arthritis in my hands...

Obviously I'm totally biased against LASIK because of my unfortunate outcome... but just give it some good, hard thought. I promise you I am not exaggerating (even though your surgeon may claim I surely must be.. that's what mine said when I quizzed him about stories like this that I'd seen on the internet prior to my LASIK)

LASIK is expensive - why not use some of that money and spend it on the most outrageously awesome pair of eyeglasses that make you look totally amazing... then LASIK won't be as tempting when you see how great you can look in a good pair of glasses.

Comment

Hi SAAG,

you completely convinced me , thanks a lot , I feel very bad for you , I really wish you find a cure for your case , climate here is too hot , I can`t imagine how any one will withstand his/her dry eyes in Cairo climate.. sure it will be like hell ..

I pay a lot to compress my glasses lenses and get good frames , but I believe that any frame will look bad in my case , as my glasses revealed is -6.75
                  I feel that I am a small kid and I am complaining from my glasses… thanks god that no one knows me here

excuse me , I know that my English is bad

Comment

Ibrahim, your English is great. I think you are VERY SMART to be researching this so well and making a rational decision about it! Congratulations.

There are so many of us who just wish we could have our glasses back. Dry eye is not the only problem LASIK causes (though it's the most common one). There are lot of vision issues it can cause too. And really, it's not a permanent 'cure' for your vision anyway. In the best case, you may get some years without glasses. Not worth the risk and the permanent structural changes to your eyes.
                    Rebecca Petris
                    The Dry Eye Foundation
                    dryeyefoundation.org
                    800-484-0244

Comment

Thanks a lot Rebecca , thanks a lot to all of you , it was really veeeery kind of you to add me to this group , i appreciate all your replies and advices , I appreciate that each one here decided to share his experience to prevent others from falling in the same mistake , sure many decided not to go for Lasik because of your advices and words , I myself shared your comments with my friends and I believe that they will at least think again whether to do Lasik or not.
                      I decided to buy a nice new frame

God bless you all

Comment

Originally posted by Ibrahim View Post
                        Hi All ,

i am hesitating whether to go for Lasik surgery or not , i am 33 yrs old , what is the correct decision

i hope very much to have sharp vision , I hate glasses , but i am afraid from Lasi Thanks

I think this is good option for you

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bates_method

http://www.seeing.org/techniques/index.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4BDvF1K85w
                        Raw eating cures all deceases.
                        whole body cure is eye cure
                        FOOD (Natural, chemical free), Environment (air, water, noise), Relaxed Mind makes decease free

Comment

Thanks eye_allergy-kids!! , do you know anyone who tried this method?

Comment

Just seconding what everyone else has said don't go for LASIK. I would have loved to have discovered this forum before my LASIK but I like many others only had the need for the dryeyezone after LASIK. On the plus side this forum's pretty cool and if you behave yourself you get little blue tears!

Comment

robster , yes , it is really very cool , I will behave my eyes, I will not allow anyone to cut it , the most painful and sad sentence I read here is

"please do not underestimate the impact that those problems can have on your life, your ability to work, your ability to do the simplest things like keeping your eyes open without pain"

I believe something new will be discovered soon and it will be the answer for all of our complains : )

Comment

Working...
                              X