New here...Hi.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New here...Hi.

I really hate having dry eyes. I started wearing glasses in 2nd grade and my prescription went further into the negatives as I got older. When I was 12, my parents got me contacts and it changed my life. I was free to do more and feel normal around my peers. In college, somewhat randomly, I had bloodshot eyes without an infection. After visiting several doctors, I was diagnosed with dry eye and told I may never wear contacts again. I took a break for a year, then gradually started wearing them again. I forgot I had dry eye because it seemed all my symptoms went away... Now here I am, 28 years old and my new diagnosis is chronic dry eye and incomplete blink. The specifics are a mystery. My eyes are always bloodshot (my profile pic is a distant memory when I had contacts and white eyes). My tear test is always a score between 20-30 in each eye. Glands aren't clogged. However, my eyes still feel dry and it is confirmed via dry spots in a slit lamp test.

What I despise the most about this condition, is wearing my -9 thick and heavy glasses, waking up with eyes that are stuck to my eyeballs, and freaking out if I realize I forgot to bring a bottle of tears with me. I used to love playing with makeup, and now I only wear blush and lip gloss. Currently, I drop every hour and use gel before I sleep. I've been taking Thera Tears nutrition for 4 years now, but I doubt it's doing anything. I've tried LacriLube, but my eyes become even more bloodshot than they already are. I walk around blind sometimes in my home so I can give my nose a break from my heavy glasses.

I love to workout so I have contacts that I put on for days I go to the gym (1.5 hours at most per day only a few days a week). My wish is to be able to wear contacts for a full day during my wedding later this year. I have an appointment scheduled with a new MD in March to discuss punctal plugs. I really hope this helps. I may ask for Restasis, but I tried this two years ago and felt no change.

People on this forum will be pleased to know that I went for a LASIK consultation and was denied. This is before I realized the consequences of LASIK and dry eye. The doctor who examined me said I had thick corneas and a refraction that could be fixed, but he could not accept me as a patient because of fear that my eyes would be too dry after the procedure. For this, I was thankful I found an honest LASIK doc. Hopefully, someday in the future I can look into ICL surgery, since it does not affect corneal nerves and dry eye.

Anyways, that was my rant. Just wanted to introduce myself and I look forward to commenting on posts in the future.

Hi Lisa,
    Intersting to hear that your eyes got stuck despite such good schrirmer score and no clogged glands. What is your tbut ? You must have the wrong composition of tears, have the docs been able to give you any diagnosis yet? Like seborroic dermatitis or the like, or allergies?
    My tbut is only 2 and my glands are not clogged either. Only thing that helps is steroids, but hope on Restasis.

Comment

Working...
    X