Thyroid Eye Disease

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thyroid Eye Disease

I was diagnosed with Graves Disease in 2007 and have been on and off Carbimazole (coupled with Ramipril) ever since. I had no eye problems for the first seven plus years.

At the end of last year my consultant decided it was time to try Radio Iodine with which I was treated in March. That treatment has done nothing for my thyroid but it has given me serious eye problems.

This started in May with constant weeping coupled with slight double vision. Six months on my right eye now feels swollen and there is a tight and a gritty feeling in both eyes, especially at night, which was until recently causing me seriously disturbed nights. The double vision and sensitivity to bright light seems to be getting worse. The eyes don't look great either but that is the least of my worries at the moment.

I have had one appointment with the eye dept and they put me through a morning of tests. They gave me Carmize drops (which actually make living with this worse rather than better) and also Lacrilube. I go back in two weeks.

The Lacrilube was given me for nights only but I find if I don't use the drops and use the lube a couple of times a day as well as at night then I can get by and get some work done and get six hours continuous sleep. The gritty dry feeling is still there and the swelling (feels like it is full of liquid) under my lower right eye lid is really disconcerting but at least being able to sleep again has taken some of the edge off.

I wear varifocal glasses that react to sunlight and provide some protection but am wondering whether I need to invest in fully tinted glasses instead.

Reading around the subject it seems to be a lottery whether I will get better or not and too early to tell if I will be lucky or unlucky.

Anyone got any tips / experiences to share? Especially people who have had Radio Iodine twice.

Thanks in advance.
Working...
X