So, this is me.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So, this is me.

Well i Suppose i should introduce myself, i've been floating through these forums for a while and being comforted by the messages so.....yeh....me.

Prior to june 2013 i was fine, i was a monthly contact lens wearer whos eyes could handle the lenses for around 10-12 hours. Then i went to a rock festival in the UK, 5 day camping, usually great. This time i had a little dry eye, i thought nothing of it and used some eyedrops thinking it'd get better or it was just suncream irritation.....it didn't get better, i came back and went to A&E with a wildly red right eye and was told it was HSV 1 (Ocular Herpes) and i had dendretic marks across my eye. Anyway i recovered and was left with some lovely scarring across the cornea, just outside of my daytime vision, but when my pupil dilates i get some ghosting/streaks etc.

Went to daily contacts, was fine for ages. Ghosting i can deal with for now (without going to prosthetic to block some of the light from certain directions.......but i'm not at the end of my tether yet). I went to the ophthalmologist to check my scars to see if they're healing/doing anything and they dilated my pupil with the drops........It stung a bit at the time around my eyelid margin but was told that'd wear off. It lasted 2-3 weeks then from then on had intermittent flare-ups of inflammation (mostly on the bottom lid). My TBUT used to be fine, 8-12 secs now around 4 secs sometimes less.

Optician saw blepharitis symptoms on a sight test, with little dandruff type flakes on my eyelashes. So been doing hot compresses with the eyebag for a while with lid scrubs afterwards. Baby shampoo was irritiating my eyes so went to that ocusoft foaming stuff, which is alot easier. But alas my eyelids still sting a little during the day with the general feeling of dryness in the eyes so i have Hyloforte during the day.

1st GP was no use, after trying ciloxan eyedrops and chloramphenicol ointment (just before bed) i was confronted with "what do you want me to do about it?" as a response to my dry irritated eye. Suffice to say i changed GP, before i lamped him. Second one has been pro-active, seing if it's anything allergic (antihistamine drops- irritated my eyes) and fusidic acid (which was lovely to put on but left me irritated again 30-40 mins after). BUT he's been contacting the ophthalmic dept to see if they know of any other approaches to dry eye. So i see that as a plus, a pro-active GP....... a rare find.

​Anyway that's me.

Welcome Muninn! Do you think the warm compresses are helping and have you tried goggles? I don't know what I would do without moisture barriers. I hope that you will be feeling better soon. Sending good wishes.

Comment

I'm so sorry you've had to go through all of this. We've all suffer/ed because of our eyes in one way or another. I think the most difficult part is getting an actual diagnosis and a treatment plan. I am glad you've found a GP that's proactive, and I hope s/he will help you find some relief. I've recently been diagnosed with blepharitis myself and the ophthalmologist told me to use the hot compresses 5-10 minutes a day. He also showed me these small gel pads that have this small little thing in them that you press so they get hot and you can wrap a towel around it and put it on your eyes. He advised me to dilute the baby shampoo with some water to get minimal irritation in my eyes and to also slightly massage my eyelids. He said that blepharitis is not sight threatening so I shouldn't worry about such things. I also bought blephaclean today, I think they're quite popular because the first pharmacy I went to had run out of them, so you can try them out as well. I think in the beginning it's a matter of trial and error. You need to find out what works for you. It's costly and time consuming, but I guess in the end it's worth it. Do let us know how it goes.

Comment

LaDiva,

I think the warm compresses have helped helped a little bit, certainly frees up some oil in the eyes. Every little helps for a stable tear film i guess. So hopefully my tear film can recover someday. I've not tried goggles, my eyes (touch wood) have been behaving themselves for a few days so i'll see how it goes first. I think the intake of fish oil omega 3 has helped too, rattled through a couple of bottles of them, so got a large flaxseed omega 3 tub/jar from holland and barrett which gives me 1800mg per 2 caps. This coupled with ocusoft cleaning at night seems to be helping.

Slow progress, but progress none the less. That's all i'm looking for, which so far.......is what i'm getting. My eyes feel marginally more "normal" than they did before my introduction post.

Comment

I am so happy to hear that you are feeling better! Hopefully things are going to be much better for you during the coming weeks. Happy Holidays Muninn!

Comment

Working...
          X