Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Here - My eyes aren't producing enough tears

Hello,

I've been suffering from dry eyes for a few years and mostly I managed it by just keeping my computer use to very brief periods. My eyes were ok so long as I did that. But now it's a bit worse and they get irritated regardless of my computer use. Also, I need to be able to use the computer more now for my job. So I need to do something about this.

Last time I had my eyes checked by an optometrist, I had a meibography done and he said my glands were working very well and I had no blepharitis, but I had a score of 2 on the schirmer test. So my eyes aren't producing enough tears, but the oil is fine.

I'm using optimel manuka drops and they are the only ones I've tried that actually provide relief. But it's only a small amount of relief. I'm trying different things with diet and taking fish oil and all that...

The only thing I know to try next is a punctal occlusion. I've tried plugs but they keep falling out and I just don't want to deal with them anymore. So I'd like to do cautery, but I can't find anyone that will do this for me because I'm still young. I have heard of a reversible punctal cautery procedure, but I can't find anyone in Australia that can do this.

So I was wondering if someone could help me find a doctor that can do this (I came across a thread where someone said instructions on how to do it could be given over the phone) and/or provide other possible solutions to my problem.

Thanks for reading.

In case anyone is interested, I received this explanation for reversible cautery:

"Think of it like this – as a stepwise approach to dry eyes – if your symptoms are improved with punctal plugs then punctal cautery is a more permanent solution without the problems associated with plugs. The cautery causes a scar, and its this scar that closes the punctal opening. What happens is that if a small scar in created, then the chance of it popping open is higher (which is no benefit to your dry eyes). If a larger scar is created, then the chance of scarring closed is higher (so your dry eyes will be better). If you desire a reversible procedure, your trade off is that occasionally the first, or second (or third) may not be successful (multiple procedures). Most people just want it fixed, closed, and a permanent solution to their dry eye. A small scar if stuck closed, is reversible, because theres only a small scar to remove."

Comment

aboveonly sky - just checking your not on any medication? a pure aqueous deficiency can some times be a side effect of certain medications particularly if long term use.
      People have recovered, so can we.
      www.twitter.com/EyeGirlfriend)

Comment

I don't take any regular medication, but thanks for the suggestion.

Comment

Working...
        X