Over 1 year post LASIK & so very sad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Over 1 year post LASIK & so very sad

I've been lurking on this site for a while and I feel I want to share my story which sadly is very similar to the lasik stories on here. I had lasik surgery in Jan 2015 at Moorfilelds by a top surgeon who deemed me a perfect case.

The dryness, irritation and unbelievable gritty feeling started straightaway as well as the sensitivity to light which continues to this day. I had migraines at the outset but thankfully they lasted just a few months.

The last year has been the worst year of my life and I have been in dark places and it's taken all my will to function for most of the days. I sometimes wonder if I'd be here without the support of family.

I have had eyes plugged, am on 50g doxycycline for 4 months, was on prednisolone for 4 months by the original lasik surgeon which a new consultant took me off as the pressure in my eyes increased. I've been on Acular for 3 months and opatanol. I also take the usually omega 3 tablets and drink lots of water.

The new consultant that I'm seeing says that I have inflammation of the eyelids which is the primary source of the dryness and that the meibomian glands are not expressing enough so I diligently do warm compresses twice a day and clean them thoroughly. I live in hope that this will pass. The lasik surgeon has admitted that he thought I would be prone to pro-longed aftercare after my assessment indicated low tear film - all this on email and not once did he say this at my assessment. I have thought about suing but I don't want the stress and in some ways I feel I should as its not about the money - I just want to save others from this miserable existence. My eyes are dry still and I take things day by day. I think they are better than 6 months ago. I have some really good days and think that the ordeal is over and then mostly I have some wretched ones where I'm utterly miserable and just want to lie down in the dark and sleep it away.

I'm thinking of taking anti depressants to control the anxiety and overwhelming sadness I'm feeling. Are there any I should stay clear from as I have read some can cause dry eye?

I have taken a lot of comfort from this website and it warms my soul the love, concern and kindness that is on here.

I really hope it passes for all of us. We've got to keep going.

Natalie

Hi Nataly,
    I know how you feel.It's miserable to live with painful eyes .
    But!
    ​ I think they are better than 6 months ago.
    And this is GOOD! That means it will be better.
    My eyes are dry still and I take things day by day.
    Me too. One day at a time. And sometimes like one of my friends noticed -one minute at a time. Sometimes I have good days , and sometimes I have bad days. But I'm sure it will be better. You just need to make steps forward. Little tiny steps.
    I'm utterly miserable and just want to lie down in the dark and sleep it away.
    I know that feeling too. But there are many things you didn't try yet. Major( in my opinion) are
    Restasis.
    Cornergel
    Solcoseril gel
    Vit-a- pos
    Diquafosol drops
    Any drops with name HYLO on them
    Serum drops of PRK drops
    Sclerals

Comment

Hi Natalie
      I'm in the same boat, have been for almost 10 months now. I'm absolutely miserable and regretting every day and wondering why on earth I didn't just wear my glasses. I feel ugly without my eye makeup and I'm constantly backing out of plans due to this stupid condition. They can put a man on the moon but can't figure this one out? Unbelievable!
      BUT Irina is right, there's so much left to try.
      Restasis may help you if inflammation is the cause.
      Serum drops may help if your nerves just haven't grown back yet.
      Also, keep bugging moorfields. Keep at them. You are not going to let this one go. Maybe you're not going to sue them, but you are going to annoy them to the point that they'll have to try everything.
      Also, read the cases here of jovver, Prattstar and hangus (and many others). It helped me a lot and gave me hope to read them. They went through hell and they're now not using any drops or even thinking about their eyes. Sometimes after surgery it just takes time. I'm hoping that as the months, years even, go by that I'll be getting better and better. There's still hope. It can take 2-5 years before you know how things are going to pan out.
      I have crappy days too, very crappy actually, but I refuse to believe this is it. We have to keep trying.

Comment

Irina, did restasis help you? I'm getting it next month. I'm both excited and nervous!

Comment

Yes, it did. But I didn't have very dry eye. My problem is neurotic pain.

Comment

Hi Irina and Nori2015

Thanks for your kind words. Yes I will keep bugging moorfields and I'm seeing my current consultant at the end of Feb. The LASIK consultant seems peed off that I'm seeing someone else and said I need to choose who manages me.

The thing that gives me the most anxiety is reading things on the internet that this could be permanent and that scares me. I know it's not healthy to endlessly Google this but at times it turns into an obsession. I guess what we're looking for is hope...

I too miss wearing make up and to think I chose this so not to wear glasses. I have red hair so having a 'bare' face is awful but I don't care any more as I just want to be better.

Thanks for the drop suggestions. I do wonder why allergy drops get prescribed when I don't have any allergies and never had eye issues before.

Have you been given allergy drops? I will raise the issue of restasis when I go back to moorfields as I see it mentioned a lot on this forum.

Comment

I was prescribed opatanol a few months ago for allergies, but they didn't help in the slightest. Possibly because I don't believe I have any allergies. I don't think I'd just suddenly have allergies after prk when I never had any allergies before. My issue is evaporative dry eye and possibly some sort of sensitivity as a result of the surgery. I have lots of questions for my appointment at moorfields next month. Keep in touch Natalie, let us know how you get on, and if I come across any miracles I'll let you know. We'll all get through this together!

Comment

Working...
              X