Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New member-question about oil in meibomian glands

He Everyone,
    I have a question about the oils in out meibomian glands. After I do a hot compress I can see little droplets in my eyelash rim. If I touch it with my finger, they feel a little sticky. My doctors said they looked pretty good maybe a little thick from over a month ago when she said they looked like butter. But I'm just wondering what is "good" oil or "healthy" supposed to feel like?
    Thanks everyone!
    Ang
    Last edited by Ang0485; 08-Mar-2016, 13:08.

Hi Ang, I am sorry that no one has answered you. I am not sure that I can answer you either. I know that good oil is not white and thick, or white and milky or clouded or thick and yellow. Hope you are feeling better! I'd post a smile, but for some reason they show as a torn icon, so consider yourself smiled upon!

Comment

Thanks for replying! I don't know what to think now. One doctor said my glands are clogged. Another one said nice oil is coming out and aren't clogged. All I know is that my eyes are in constant pain 24 hours. I am trying the artificial tears but that only gives me a short relief. What the best artificial tear out there? Is retaine good do you know? Thanks!
      Ang

Comment

Last edited by savino; 02-Sep-2016, 03:45.

Comment

Thank you! I will check it with a magnifying glass. Do you use any artificial tears? And if so which kind to find the best?

Thanks
          Angela

Comment

HI Ang,
            You are very welcome. You just have to experiment with the drops. Different drops work for different people. I can only use Thera Tears single use vials, but regardless of which drop you choose, buy the ones without preservatives. Here is the lubricants forum link: http://www.dryeyezone.com/talk/forum...ointments?f=14

Here is the directory of eye lubricants: http://www.dryeyezone.com/encycloped...html#ListAlpha

Not much help, but it really is a case of trying drops and figuring out which works best for you. Some contain lipids, some contain polymer, etc...

Comment

I have a question about the TBUT test. Last week the doctor said my tears are at 10 seconds which is good. But I have dry patches on my eyes. And she said my oil is coming out good in my glands.
              If that is good, then why do I have the constant burning in my eyes? She said my eyes don't look red. It's just the constant burning in my eyes and they are so sensitive to everything. Even smells hurt them. So does that mean it's the nerves? I'm so confused. I want to get the schirmer test done. Will that show more information? Thanks for your help!
              Thanks
              Ang

Comment

I don't know the answer Ang. If your oil is good and your TBUT is 10, I am not sure why you have dry spots. Your eyes might be burning because of allergies. Hopefully someone will be able to share their similar experience and the outcome. Sometimes there can be problems with the mucous layer in your tear film, but again I don't have that problem so cannot be of much help. Hope you feel better soon!

Comment

Thank you so much! I'm going back to the doctor on Friday. I'm going back to the doctor who originally diagnosed me with blepharitis mgd. I'm going to ask her to do the schirmer test on me. And even though the doctor told me my eyes aren't red, I know they are. I know when my eyes are red or not. This is really frustrating. My eyes are always burning and so sensitive to smells and anything that's in the air. If I smell the next house has a fireplace going and I'm walking from my car, my eyes start to sting.
                  Wishing you are feeling better also! Praying for your healing and everyone on this forum.

Thanks
                  Ang

Comment

Normal, healthy meibomian oil gland secretion is yellowish and semi clear and is barely visible to the naked eye (practically invisible without a slit lamp). There should be no visible whitish secretion, and there should be no bump or cap at the orifice on the lid margin. MGD is nothing more than acne of the eyelid margin - there’s obstruction and inflammation of the oil glands which leads to dry eye symptoms. Get rid of the inflammation and the dry eye symptoms disappear. The paradox tearing in response to dry eye is the body’s attempt to dilute the inflammation on the eye.

Anyone with MGD should always have the lacrimal system evaluated since there’s a significant number of nonresponders to convention dry eye treatment who actually have a primary nasolacrimal obstruction that is causing the dry eye symptoms. But most dry eye evaluations do not include an assessment of the functional status of the lacrimal system. Please see my many prior posts for why the lacrimal system is so important.

Comment

Working...
                    X