Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are most of people who suffers from dry eye complications were extremely nearsighted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are most of people who suffers from dry eye complications were extremely nearsighted

Hi all,

Are most of people who suffers from dry eye complications post refractive eye surgeries were extremely nearsighted (-7 or more) before undergoing the surgery? Or there is no relation between high prescription and dry eyes complication?

thanks

As far as I am aware people with higher prescriptions are more likely to suffer from dry eyes post refractive surgery. It stand to reason that the deeper the laser cuts, more and more nerves will be disrupted.

However I do not think that it is as simple as this as people react in different ways to the surgery. I was at -4.0 and -3.5 prior to surgery and I still ended up with dry eyes that are only very slowly improving. I also had Lasek which is supposedly less likely to cause dry eye as it does not involve cutting a flap in the cornea (I had less than 90 microns removed whereas I believe that the flap depth alone for Lasik is about 180 microns before you even start reshaping the cornea).

I discovered the hard and painful way that refractive surgery is just not worth the risk. And I am probably one of the "lucky- unlucky" people as my "only" problem is dry eye (and believe me I'm not belittling that, it's a horribly painful condition at times).

I have no issues with night vision, no halos or starburts and I have 20"10 vision in both eyes. Would I do it again? Absolutely not, the last 9 months have been a nightmare, and I figure it will be a long while before I recover fully (if indeed I ever do).

Comment

Thanks a lot Jovver for your reply ...you really sent me very useful information

Comment

Nearsightedness cause of lasik dry eye

I've heard that's the case. My eyes were both very near sighted. -8.50 and -8.75. I've heard the bigger damage is done by cutting a flap than the laser on the eye reshaping the cornea. I read a study online that a university did and the two most common problems were high nearsightendness and previous dry eye problems. I remember my lasik surgeon telling me the laser was approved at -11. My sister and brother both had it done and had no problems. They were around -4 to -6.

Originally posted by Ibrahim View Post
        Hi all,

Are most of people who suffers from dry eye complications post refractive eye surgeries were extremely nearsighted (-7 or more) before undergoing the surgery? Or there is no relation between high prescription and dry eyes complication?

thanks

Comment

Thanks theggman for your reply ... It seems logic ....high nearsightendness seems to be one of the main reasons for dry eye complication

Comment

Originally posted by Ibrahim View Post
            Thanks theggman for your reply ... It seems logic ....high nearsightendness seems to be one of the main reasons for dry eye complication
            For sure the risk is higher if one is extremely near-sighted. But, my eyes were -5 and -4.75, and I still ended up like this.

Comment

I was -4.25 and -4.5. I've also read that higher prescriptions correlate with more dry eye risk, but using that that as a gage of risk is misleading.

Also the term "Dry Eye" is also misleading. If you could see first hand the ridiculous goggles many of us wear (ALL day, EVERY day), and see first hand the pain and CONSTANT struggle of this disease, you would be happy to continue wearing glasses. I know many who wanted lasik prior to seeing my ordeal and now won't go near it - and for good reason. Good for you for asking the questions and doing the research all of us post-lasik dry-eye-zoners wish we did.

Comment

Thanks DryInDenver for your reply I really appreciate your advice Thanks again

Comment

Working...
                X