X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Introduction

Hi everybody,

I'm a retired accountant living in sunny Spain. I have had problems with chronic, posterior blepharitis for many years now. I also have chronic keratitis, and more recently dry eye, which sometimes makes it painful to open my eyes in the morning despite using gel drops during the night. What bothers me most is that I frequently have red eyes, a manifestation of superficial hyperemia, which only seems controllable with a constant supply of steroid eye drops.

I think this forum is excellent and very useful for exchanging information about dry eye and related conditions. As far as I can tell, the participants in the discussions seem to be very well informed, and I am glad to have discovered this valuable resource.

Well welcome to the forum, Hannsho! Many people have learned about most of the treatment options from this forum, not from their doctors.

A career as an accountant may have contributed to your eye problems, staring at reports and spreadsheets and not blinking enough. The good news is you're retired now, so should be less stress on your eyes in the long run.

Have you tried wearing a night mask like EyeSeals 4.0 or bubble bandages to help keep the air out while sleeping? This may help especially if you might be sleeping with your eyelids not completely closed, which is common.

https://dryeyeshop.com/collections/nights

Comment

Thank you for your kind words and advice, Hokucat.

After having used Restasis for 7 months, the problem with my eyelids being painfully stuck to the surface of my eyes when I wake up in the morning has now become somewhat manageable with gels. I will however investigate the specific recommendations you made.

Comment

Originally posted by hannsho View Post
        Thank you for your kind words and advice, Hokucat.

After having used Restasis for 7 months, the problem with my eyelids being painfully stuck to the surface of my eyes when I wake up in the morning has now become somewhat manageable with gels. I will however investigate the specific recommendations you made.
        Hi there Hannsho and welcome!

I'm thinking about your eyelids sticking down. Are you experiencing mild recurrent erosions by chance? (When the lids literally rip some cells off the epithelium.) Sounds like you're getting things under good control, which is great. As Hokucat indicated, physically sealing the eyes in can be very helpful as sometimes lubricants just aren't enough.
        Rebecca Petris
        The Dry Eye Foundation
        dryeyefoundation.org
        800-484-0244

Comment

Hi Rebecca Petris

Thanks for welcoming me and for taking the trouble to comment on the problem I experienced with my eyelids seemingly being stuck to my eye on waking up in the morning. No doubt, my eyelids ripping off some cells from my epithelium was a part for the discomfort band pain I experience, the other was light sensitivity. At the moment I have largely overcome this problem, but it is certainly good to know that there is more than just gels to manage this situation in case that should happen again.

Comment

Wonderful,

Best of luck helping get support

Comment

Working...
            X