Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lady Willpower Dry Eye Blog

LADY WILLPOWER DRY EYE BLOG NUMBER ONE May 2014
    I am a dry eye patient and a frequent visitor to Bascom Palmer.
    Objectives:
    1. Prevention of excruciating pins and needles pain and cornea abrasions when my eyes dry out while I sleep
    2. Help new dry eye patients looking for information

Good news: My doctors say my cornea dry spots are gone, and my corneas have substantially improved with my regimen.
    Bad news: I am still having night dry episodes at least once a month in at least one eye, although the pain is nowhere as bad as it used to be.

Tools:
    Systane Ultra High Performance Drops Preservative- Free in vials. Recommended by ophthalmologist.
    Muro 128 Drops. Recommended by ophthalmologist.
    Refresh PM ointment. Recommended by ophthalmologist. I tried but did not like Genteal (too thin) and Systane (too thick) ointments.
    Restasis Prescription. Unfortunately this takes several weeks or months to kick in, and the change is very subtle.
    Plugs in lower eyelids-inserted by opthalmologist. I have had success with brands Parasol and Eaglevision
    Thera Tears Sterilid eyelid cleanser. Recommended by ophthalmologist.
    Thermoeyes instant by Eye Eco blue eye heat pads and white pads that come with them. Keep extras on hand.
    Tranquileyes goggles and black foam inserts that come with them by Eye Eco. This is supposed to help maintain moisture retention. Keep extras on hand.
    Humidifier. I bought the Crane Penguin which had good ratings by Consumer Reports. This needs to be cleaned once a week with white vinegar using manufacturer instructions.
    OmegaPure 780 EC by Arctic Oils. Opthalmologist suggested more Omega 3 and I chose these because they were on Dr. Fuhrman’s website and I trust Dr. Fuhrman.
    Genteal liquid gel drops. Suggested by ophthalmologist because I wanted something easy to use on my night stand for middle of the night emergencies. Not preservative- free but next best thing.
    Washcloth with hot water.
    Bed elevated at head end, extra pillows. Mayo Clinic website suggests I do this to reduce eye pressure and fluid retention because I also have Graves ophthalmology.
    Thermoeyes beads by Eye Eco for travel. They are lumpy and less comfortable than the instant so I only use them for travel.
    Willpower and positive attitude. You have to instruct your subconscious to wake you up when your eyes start to dry out. You have to tell yourself that the goggles are your new best friend.

Before bedtime regimen:
    a. Wash eyelids and eyelashes with Sterilid. This helps to control blepharitis, which interferes with glands and tear flow.
    b. Apply washcloth with hot water over eyes to clean and soak.
    c. One drop of Restasis in each eye, follow prescription instructions to make sure dosage sticks. Do not use any other drops or washcloth within 15 minutes before or within 15 minutes after to prevent interference with the Restasis. Opthalmologist recommended to save money, put cap back on, put same vial of Restasis in small cup in refrigerator and use no later than next morning. BIG MISTAKE-I tried using Restasis only once a day and after four days I had a bad dry eye episode at night in both eyes.
    d. Boil water, pour into a coffee mug, put 2 black foam Tranquileyes inserts into mug and soak.
    e. Use Thermoeyes instant in goggles for at least 10 minutes. I prefer the white pads in first with the blue pads on top, so the heat is directly on my eyes. This actually feels really good and relaxes you for sleep.
    f. Remove Thermoeyes instant and white pads from goggles. Insert into goggles 2 black foam Tranquileyes inserts which have been soaking.
    g. Set up humidifier and turn on. Close doors so vapor is limited to a small area. I place the humidifier very close to my bed. Put Genteal within reach at bedside. Keep lots of drinking water near bed. Turn off any ceiling fans.
    h. One drop of Systane in each eye. Then apply strip of Refresh PM in each eye. Not just the recommended ½ inch. I go the full length of my lower eyes. Then more Systane because the Refresh PM alone is not comfortable.
    i. Go to bed and sleep with goggles on. You learn to sleep more on your back. I usually take the goggles off about one hour before I have to wake up, that is as long as I can stand it.
    j. I have to wake up during the night to add more Systane and Refresh PM. I do what my body tells me- the wake intervals may be 2, 3, 4 or 5 hours. I have taught myself to go back to sleep right away. I also drink water before bed, during the night and when I wake up.

Morning regimen:
    a. Systane in eyes and drink water.
    b. Rinse black foam inserts from last night in hot water. Dry on flat towel. Hang goggles to dry, towel- dry any moisture on inner plastic. Keep outer foam on goggles dry, do not wash. If the outer foam gets wet, their adhesive stops working and the outer foam falls off.
    c. Wash eyelids and eyelashes with Sterilid.
    d. Apply washcloth with hot water over eyes.
    e. One drop of Muro 128 in each eye. This is not for dry eyes. It is a saline solution that draws excess fluid out of the cornea. I find that in the morning and at night my eyes feel heavy and the Muro 128 relieves the heaviness and inflammation. It also makes my vision more clear. However, it is drying so several minutes after I have to use more Systane.
    f. Circle ice cube around eyes to reduce puffiness.
    g. Take Thermoeyes instant from night before and boil in small pot on stove for 5 minutes.
    h. Before go to work, apply Restasis from refrigerator and then discard.

Throughout the day:
    I drink water and use Systane drops all day long. I try to consume walnuts and flax seed as much as possible for the Omega 3. (I keep whole flax seed in my freezer and grind them in smoothies as needed). I am on a vegan diet except for the Omega 3 supplements. I also take Vitamin C and Dr. Fuhrman Gentle Care supplements.

Treatments not pursued:
    I was tested and told I am not a candidate for Lipiflow, because I make enough tears, they just happen to evaporate quickly. I was told I am a candidate for PROSE (super big contact lenses which hold fluid), but they cost $13,000 for each lens and were not covered by my insurance plan.

Travel:
    I take everything except I use the Thermoeyes beads instead of the instant blue pads when I travel because they require a microwave oven which is easier to find. Travelling to a drier climate is challenging and may require extra work.

Thank you for sharing, I strayed a bit from regime the last few days and I'm paying for it today!
    27, pinguecula, dry eye, Wirral, UK

Comment

Hi Lady....Don't understand your comment about not being a lipiflow candidate because you make enough tears. It's not only the quantity of tears that lipiflow can effect, but also the quality. If your glands were blocked it would still be possible to have lots of tears and lipiflow might help unblock them and your tears would not evaporate as quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by Max52 View Post
        Hi Lady....Don't understand your comment about not being a lipiflow candidate because you make enough tears. It's not only the quantity of tears that lipiflow can effect, but also the quality. If your glands were blocked it would still be possible to have lots of tears and lipiflow might help unblock them and your tears would not evaporate as quickly.
        I was evaluated and tested at Bascom Palmer by lipiflow expert Dr Perez and that was his conclusion.

Comment

Working...
        X