Tried everything, now what?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tried everything, now what?

As suggested, I'm introducing myself with this post. While I've suffered from dry eye for a few years, it's only within the past year that it's reached a more critical level. Previously, it had been controlled by punctal plugs, rigorous eyelid cleansing to avoid blephoritis, restasis and on occasion, Alrex. Then, suddenly, I began to tear uncontrollably. This went on for months with the ironic result that my eye surface improved since there was constant moisture. But the discomfort was too great and the punctal plugs were removed. The tearing stopped but my eyes became red and inflamed and nothing seems to be able to change it. I've tried Alrex, Lotomax (both liquid and gel), oral doxycycline (two courses), one course of Aziate. I've tested negative for Sjogren's and except for a Vitamin D deficiency which I'm addressing, my blood work was all fine. I am currently using Estrodial drops 4 times a day, Restasis twice a day, and Retaine MGD 4 times a day, as well as taking Hydroeye vitamins and Omega 3 fish oils. None of it seems to make a difference. I'm not in constant pain, but I'm uncomfortable enough that I'm aware of my eyes at all times and needless to say, I hate the bright red eye look! I know I tested 0 on the Schirmer's test (without anaesthetic drops) at my last doctor's appointment and though I don't know the numbers (I'll ask next time) I was told that the quality of the little tears I had was so poor that the doctor did not want to consider replacing the punctal plugs. He's a well-respected eye surgeon who has treated me for years -- starting when I first went to him and he refused to give me Lasik surgery because my eyes were too dry. But now, even he has admitted that he's stymied. From this website I learned about Lipiflow and Lacrisert, but the reviews don't seem to indicate a huge amount of success. I've also read posts about custom scleral lenses, blood serum, lacosamide drops and oral azithromycin and will ask my doctor if any of these treatments might work for me. Meanwhile, any thoughts about where I go from here from either patients or professionals would be greatly appreciated.

The only thing that helped me take the eye redness away was a super strict diet. I am unsure why it works (taking down inflamation in the body?) but my eyes are still pretty dry. I am unsure if you have tried any diets? I used to have very red eyes to the point where it was super embarassing, they arent red now (my lids get red still though at times). I think the strict diet is what did it. It has also helped with the dryness, but not to the point of writing in the triumphs section. I still need Restasis and tears about once an hour or so.

Did your doctor say anything about rosacea? What do you use to clean your lids?

Comment

You might want to get tested for B12 deficiency. My problems started while I was B12 deficient. Also try Hylo drops. I never had the red eyes like you describe; my eyes just hurt all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Faith1989 View Post
        The only thing that helped me take the eye redness away was a super strict diet. I am unsure why it works (taking down inflamation in the body?) but my eyes are still pretty dry. I am unsure if you have tried any diets? I used to have very red eyes to the point where it was super embarassing, they arent red now (my lids get red still though at times). I think the strict diet is what did it. It has also helped with the dryness, but not to the point of writing in the triumphs section. I still need Restasis and tears about once an hour or so.

Did your doctor say anything about rosacea? What do you use to clean your lids?
        I use Ocusoft plus lid scrubs several times a day. My doctor said my lids look very clean but didn't mention rosacea. I can ask about it. I assume your super-strict diet is very detailed, but can you tell me what some of the basics are -- like have you had to eliminate whole categories of food?

Comment

Originally posted by Storm View Post
          You might want to get tested for B12 deficiency. My problems started while I was B12 deficient. Also try Hylo drops. I never had the red eyes like you describe; my eyes just hurt all the time.
          I've had recent blood work. The only deficiency I had was Vitamin D, which I'm addressing. I haven't heard of Hylo drops before, but I'll certainly try them. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
          X