Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hi I'm new to the site! Have a question about FML drops.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by thedude0001 View Post
    Hmmm good to know. I'm gonna still try doxy since I have rosacea and I think it might help with my particular problem, not getting my hopes up though.
    I have rosacea and have been on some sort of antibiotic (usually a tetracycline family e.g., doxy, mino) since around 1987. My derm wants me on them... My ophthal wants me on them...

Anyway, I'm just posting a reminder that the tetracyclines make a person sun sensitive i.e., you'll burn faster/easier. I mention this because you talked about being "baked". So be extra careful to protect your skin from the sun during summer!

Comment

Originally posted by MartyM1985 View Post
      I made A LOT of progress earlier this year with FML, 3X a day, as prescribed by my doc.

You can read more about my journey in the TRIUMPHS section.

What does FML stand for?

Comment

Thanks for the warning about sunburn on tetracycline, I love to be in the sun during summer! Haha what I actually meant by being baked is people think I've been smoking weed cause of the red eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by Max52 View Post
          What does FML stand for?
          Fluorometholone. They're a corticosteroid eye drop used for eye inflammation. I call them my F My Life drops haha.

Comment

I would say try doxy and see how you like it. My only warning is it may cause stomach problems, and ironically you can't take anti-acids within hours of taking it. Go figure. Yeah, I've read and tried so many things out of the triumph section to no avail so far. It only makes sense to "cure" something you need to go the source, since symptoms are just the side effects and treating them only leads to perpetual use of drops prescribed by doctors, keeping both of them (company & doctor) happy and us miserable. Just curious if anyone has had eye problems as a result from something different, i.e autoimmune problems, allergies, etc. Thedude, did the doc say rosacea may contribute to your eye issues? I'm not sure if I have rosacea, but i know my cheeks have a flushed like red appearance, especially when I exercise. Feel like i'm getting too dependent on Lotemax, and i know that's not a cure. It's 2014 already! How is there not something out there that can help us!? Hahaha.

Comment

Rocklobster, how long have you been using Lotemax? How many times per day? Have your pressures remain stable?

Comment

I've been prescribed Lotemax multiple times by different docs through out the years. Luckily my pressure has remained stable. Currently I use it once a day. I have been trying to avoid it completely, but it's hard in social situations to go out with my eyes looking red and producing mucus every couple hours. I feel like my eyes have been just getting worse over time, I developed even more veins in my left eye. I've been doing warm compresses and taking omega 3 everyday, but still no change. I always start with restasis, but end up quitting due to the irritation and exacerbation of redness in my eye. It's crazy how much this is consuming my life. Getting pretty anxious because I was hoping to find a regime that would get everything under control before I start my new job.

Comment

It took me a very long time to be able to use Restasis. For years I went on and off of it because of the same thing. I felt my eyes were more red when I was on it. I eventually got used to it and find my eyes more red without it. I now use it four times a day. One day I told myself I'll just stick it out for six months at least. I am so glad I did. I still need Alrex or Lotemax sometimes. It wasn't a cure for me or anything. I am on month 9 and I've heard you can improve with it for up to 2 years. But some people really can't tolerate it. For me though, it just took time.

Comment

I've been prescribed Lotemax multiple times by different docs through out the years. Luckily my pressure has remained stable. Currently I use it once a day. I have been trying to avoid it completely, but it's hard in social situations to go out with my eyes looking red and producing mucus every couple hours. I feel like my eyes have been just getting worse over time, I developed even more veins in my left eye. I've been doing warm compresses and taking omega 3 everyday, but still no change. I always start with restasis, but end up quitting due to the irritation and exacerbation of redness in my eye. It's crazy how much this is consuming my life. Getting pretty anxious because I was hoping to find a regime that would get everything under control before I start my new job.

Comment

Yeah, I don't know how you persevered for that long with Restasis but I'm glad it paid off! I keep telling myself to stick to it, but upon installation my eyes are extremely sore for a couple of hours and not to mention the extreme redness it causes. I had one doctor recommend taking one drop of Alrex everyday indefinitely. I've read a medical journal where supposedly as long as your pressure doesn't increase, Alrex can be safely used long-term. Do I believe it? Not really. At this point, I'm trying every method out there to find relief, I still (hopefully) have many many years to live and it would be nice not to spend every hour worrying about redness, pain, eye mucus, and floaters... Sorry for venting, it's just nice to know that there are others out there dealing with the same thing.

Comment

Thanks for the warning about sunburn on tetracycline, I love to be in the sun during summer! Haha what I actually meant by being baked is people think I've been smoking weed cause of the red eyes.
                        Oh, that's right! You're in BC

You should avoid the sun while on doxy/mino... it's not worth it to get skin cancer while trying to improve your eyes!!

Re: mucus. Here's a website that kinda explains the different types of eye mucus. Perhaps there's some help here: http://vision.about.com/od/sportsvis.../Eye_Mucus.htm

Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by spmcc View Post
                          Oh, that's right! You're in BC

You should avoid the sun while on doxy/mino... it's not worth it to get skin cancer while trying to improve your eyes!!

Re: mucus. Here's a website that kinda explains the different types of eye mucus. Perhaps there's some help here: http://vision.about.com/od/sportsvis.../Eye_Mucus.htm

Good luck.
                          Thanks spmcc! I haven't seen that article before (feels like I've gone through them all). I'm glad I read it as I'm seeing my ophthalmologist in a few days.

Hahaha yeah living in Vancouver that's the first thing people will think if you have red eyes.

Comment

Thanks spmcc! I haven't seen that article before (feels like I've gone through them all). I'm glad I read it as I'm seeing my ophthalmologist in a few days.
                            Hey dude,

We have a little group of 5-6 people in the Vancouver area who communicate about dry eye and treatments etc. I'm going to PM (personal message) you my email address. I really think that Tankie who is a young man in White Rock may be able to help you. He's been through the wringer and has improved (you can read his past posts). I know he's been very busy lately (and hasn't posted), but I can try to set up lines of communication. Anyway, feel free to email me when you get the PM.

TTYL

Comment

Let us know what the doctor says thedude!

And thanks for the article spmcc! From what my doc was saying, supposedly my eyes are not balanced with the 3 layers (water, oil, mucus). So my eye produces excess mucus to compensate for the lack of the other 2. I still get eye mucus no matter what I try: eye drops, warm compresses, omega 3, doxy etc... Theoretically if I get the inflammation under control, the mucus should subside. Unfortunately lotemax only helps temporarily, so i'm trying to find another, safer, long-term alternative treatment.

Comment

spmcc so glad to hear that Tankie's doing well!! Good stuff.
                                Rebecca Petris
                                The Dry Eye Foundation
                                dryeyefoundation.org
                                800-484-0244

Comment

Working...
                                X