Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phil in Washington, DC

Hi

My name is Phil and i have a dry right eye.

This came about because in 1987 i opted to undergo elective surgery to get interocular lens implants (IOL) in both eyes. I elected to do so because i felt people would view me differently if i did not wear very thick glasses. The right eye cornea was sufficiently misshapen to require replacement so i could get a new IOL.

A few years later the new cornea failed but i opted to ignore it because the recovery from the 1987 operation had been long and painful and because i had never used my right eye very much.

Fast forward two decades to about two years ago and i began experiencing pain in my right eye. A couple of surgeons offered to operate but they were not optimistic. My new employer would not allow me to take a couple of months off, even at my own cost. Nor was i much inclined to go for surgery.

During the past two years i have visited a couple of very kind and helpful optometrists at the Wilmer Eye Clinic at John Hopkins. We tried a lot. The best feeling solution was soft contacts. Unfortunately i am too blind and too ambliopic to put one into my eye.

These days i am feeling less of anything on the surface of my right eye. This is probably not a good sign. Still the pain is enough to keep me aware and to effect my lifestyle. I am lucky enough to still work and to still enjoy my work. When i get home in the evening i go straight to bed.

I use acetyl-cysteine to prevent mucous from forming on my eye surface. I also us Muro 128 ointment a few times each day, during the day, and once at bedtime to keep the eye moist. That is about it.

I just ordered a desk humidifier for work. I plan to keep it close and pointed at my right eye.

Hi Phil,

Welcome. Wow, quite a story.

What's your vision like in that eye?
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

Comment

Whilst well below normal before this problem started, it's near nil now. I can see shapes, colors and light but i cannot count fingers.

Comment

Working...
      X