Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Allergy and dry eyes - my story

Hi!

I've been reading the DYZ for months now and finally registered. I'll share my story with you and try not to make it an excessively long one...

As a background information: I have had glasses since I was 10 years and wore contacts since I was 15 until I decided to have Lasik at 27. Contact were always very unconfortable and it was not a good combination with my active sport hobby, so I decided to go for the surgery. For five years I was very happy with it, my sight was excellent (still is) and besides some mild dry eyes during winter time (cold winters here in Finland..) I had no problems whatsoever.
    I have also had allergies since I was a child, cat, dog, trees, hays, the usual stuff at least around here. I have also managed my allergies very well. I have used some allergy eye drops during the worst periods, but this not even every year.

Since last spring (Spring 2014) I started to notice increased dryness in my eyes. I used drops that were not preservative free during the whole summer. They seemed to help most of the time. However, in September things got really bad very suddenly. I had an intensive period of work and study during that time. When I noticed that no amount of drops - wheter dry eye drops or allergy drops - relieved my symptoms I went to see an opthalmologist. She saw no signs of allergy and gave me some preservative free drops (Artelac, Oftagel) and some steroid drops to relieve the symptoms. My symptoms did not relieve but only got worse. I went to another opthalmologist and again the diagnosis was dry eye. She was wondering how my pain and symptoms were so severe when the slit lamp examination showed only mild symptoms. However, she prescribed some allergy drops (Lecrolyn) as a supplement to dry eye drops. My symptoms got a little better but the pain was still there and sometimes even worse.

At that time I started to feel very bad mentally and got into psychiatric care as well (luckily!). The fall time was just horrible both mentally and physically. I was really scared that this is what my life is going to be.

Anyways, finally in January my general healthcare doctor found an opthalmologist that is specialized in allergies and dry eyes (propably the only one in Finland...) and I went to see him a month ago. He did some lab tests (other three opth. did not!) and I was diagnosed with chronic allergic conjunctivitis (CAC) and a mild dry eye. I dropped out all dry eye drops and started using just the allergy drops. My eyes got better within days. I believe my eyes got over sensitive to some of the drops because I used them so much and at least some of the pain was related to that.

In additon to allergy drops I'm taking Lyrica for anxiety and possible neuralgic pain. I take only 25mg/day, so a small dosage.

My eyes are still not good, but they are A LOT better now. The pain has been excruciating and on a scale of 1-10 mostly 9 or 10. The pain has gotten worse on computer and when reading and I have been on sick leave for 5 weeks. I got back to work yesterday (only 40%) and I'm hoping so bad that I can do it... The pain at the moment is something between 1 and 4 depending on the day and my activities. The pain is currently only in my left eye, my right eye has actually been very good since the beginning of the year.

Even though I'm much better now I feel like there is still a missing piece from my puzzle. Something is causing the pain and irritation to my left eye and even though I have some very good days (pain 1) worse days always keep coming... I have used only allergy drops for about three weeks now, so I'm still hoping that with time they will work even better.

I will share more detailed stories in other sections about the pain, dryness, tests done, supplements etc. And of course feel free to ask me any questions!

The second opth. I visited did the Schirmer's test on my third visit to her: 2 and 4. So I have an apparent aquous deficiency. My symptoms have always been way worse than signs, and I have been told by several doctors that I'm over sensitive which I'm defenetly not... I never need any drugs when I'm at dentist for example or when they didi the lab tests for my eyes. It just seems that ophthalmologists can't believe anything unless they can observe it with their slit lamps. I'm sure many of you know just exactly what I'm talking about.

I would also like to add that this forum has pretty much saved me from going crazy during the past six months. It is so hard and frustrating trying to explain someone how painful dry eyes can be... I've cried so many hours and had so many sleepless nights. I'm glad that things have now taken a turn for the better and hope it keeps on getting better.

Comment

Hi stina,
      hanks for sharing your story. How are your eyes now? What tests did they run to find your allergies? My optometrist has told eye allergies can be observed so there is no chance I have one, but story's I read on here make me think otherwise.
      People have recovered, so can we.
      www.twitter.com/EyeGirlfriend)

Comment

Stina, Your background is very similar to mine. I am very sympathetic to your situation and hopeful for your that your issues will get better. Our individual dry eye symptoms are unique - however, for each of us to share our experiences helps us all. Hang in there.
        Eileen

Comment

Hi and thank you for commenting on my story.

I'm glad to tell you that I'm doing much better nowadays. I use drops only occasionally. I had a grat summer, my symptoms were very mild, I can even forget that I have DYS sometimes. I notice the winter and the air getting a bit drier, but it is really nothing compared to what it was a year ago. I still take Lyrica, I tried to drop it at one point but the pain returned. At the moment I do not have any eye pain, have not had for several months. So I'm really feeling very fortunate and hope that things will stay as good. If I use drops I usually use allergy drops.

Waterbee, I disagree with what your doctor says. I had no signs of allergy in my eyes, but do to my history with allergies he did this test (sorry, I do not know the correct english name for this test) where he scraped conjunctiva cells from my lower eye lid. The sample was anlyzed in laboratory and it showed signs of chronic allergic conjunctivitis. The chronic form of allergic conjunctivitis can not be necessarily observed, so my doctor told, and for this reason this test is used.

Why I think I feel much better now:

1. Less drops instead of more drops. This is very important, but I know just how hard it is to actually do that when your eyes just feel sooo dry. But eventually it made me feel better
          2. Allergy drops instead of dry eye drops. This seemed to work for me, I think my dry eye syndroms were made so much worse because of the chronic allergy.
          3. Omega3. I believe this has helped. It is impossible to say if it really has, but I believe so.
          4. I was on gluten free diet for 7 months and I think it helped me with allergies and inflammation
          5. I used warm compress for dry eye sensation and cold for pain. Both worked very well for me.

Comment

hi stina, did you have any luck finding out what your allergies where? funny enough i saw a new opthamologist by chance last week and the first thing she said was "you have allergies, not mgd" and told me there where bumps on my upper inner eye lids. my previous opthamologist never checked the upper. only the lower. now i need to try some allergy drops and go for some tests to try and find out whats causing this. its a never ending puzzle.
            People have recovered, so can we.
            www.twitter.com/EyeGirlfriend)

Comment

Working...
            X