Ocular Rosacea, DES & subconjunctival hemorrhages

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ocular Rosacea, DES & subconjunctival hemorrhages

Hi--I've been reading this forum for about 6 months and using it and Rebecca's information (thanks!) as a primary resource for possible solutions. My eye problems started about 2 years ago with long episodes of episcleritis that would not respond well to steroid eye drops. Over a year ago I began having serious problems with dry eyes--the eye lid stuck to the eye ball, grittiness and pain. That's when my doctor diagnosed Ocular Rosacea and DES. About 8 months ago I began having recurrent subconjunctival hemorrhages. I was under a lot of stress at work and was having SH in both eyes at least once/week. I left that job several months into this hemorrhage pattern and had some improvement in the hemorrhages; however, the longest time I've had in between them has been 2 weeks (over the past 8 mos). A most recent pattern was a new hemorrhage every 5 days or so. The hemorrhages don't clear up in between bleeding again. While they don't hurt, contrary to popular opinion, the subconjuntival hemorrhage adds more discomfort to already painful eye situation. I do have a long history of autoimmune disease, but no high blood pressure or bleeding disorder. Anyone else have problems with the SH (in addition to the DES/Ocular Rosacea)? I currently use Lodemax, Oracea, antibiotic eye ointment (night), Oasis Tears Plus, NAC and fish oil supplements, Tranquil Eyes goggles (night) and am looking at moisture chamber glasses (day) at present time. I'm also 2 weeks into a gluten free diet and have coincidentally noticed an improvement in the hemorrhages during this period (my fingers are crossed).

Hi Kelly! I have ocular rosacea, but do not generally have a problem with subconjunctival hemorrhages. I am not a doctor, but do have ever-appearing petechiae, small red blood spots on the skin. I've read that sometimes bleeding problems can be due to low platelet counts. You might try some supplements, or adding some foods to your diet: http://www.pdsa.org/treatments/compl...pplements.html

Ask the doctor first though! I must be very careful about what I eat, or rosacea speaks with a booming voice. I am off most of the foods on the rosacea triggers list, as well as foods high in histamines. I use this list for triggers: http://www.rosacea.org/patients/materials/triggers.php, and this list for foods containing histamines: http://www.michiganallergy.com/food_and_histamine.shtml

Each of us is different, and hopefully you can eat a wider range of foods. I cannot eat sugar or the sugar substitutes either but just yesterday ordered some xylitol to see if I might tolerate that. Sometimes you've just got to have something sweet!!! You don't say which autoimmune disease you have. Could this be the cause of your hemorrhages? Best wishes to you.

Comment

Thanks, LaDiva, for your response--all good suggestions and links. I have Rosacea, too, but compared to the Ocular Rosacea, it's minimal for me. I'll follow the possible bleeding issue through to the end and hope for improvement with the hemorrhages in the meantime. The dry eyes, of course, are a bit of a different issue (though related). The rheumatologist says that Sjogren's is a possibility. I have a hx of Hashimoto's (as a young teen) and Premature Ovarian Failure (age 20), with a number of health related issues cropping up in middle age. I do appreciate the wealth of knowledge/experience in this forum and thought posting worth a try.

Comment

Best wishes, and welcome. Perhaps someone with knowledge of Hashimoto's will respond.

Comment

Working...
        X