Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Problems with chemical exposure in flat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems with chemical exposure in flat?

I had a problem with my eyes 15 years ago after taking Roaccutane.

Since undergoing cauterisation of my left eyes tear drainage in 2001
    the problem was completely fixed until earlier this year. I moved flat
    and within a week both eyes were burning and sore. I couldn't wear
    soft contact lenses. I suspect some chemical in the new apartment.

Most likely it had something to do with a cheap carpet cleaning solvent.
    I moved on the Thursday with no problems whatsover and by
    Monday could no longer wear lenses or look at computers or sleep without ointment.

Any other users have a problem like this.

So far I have tried doxycycline which didn't seem to do anything. Am taking Theratears nutrition.
    My Opthalmologist is trying to get me Restasis but it isn't on prescription in New Zealand and
    I have an appointment for serum drops. This whole thing feels incredible.
    I had no eye problems whatsoever on January 21 2015 but
    by January 25 I was barely able to look at a computer screen or ride in a bus with air conditioning.

Comment

Never heard that carpet cleaning solvent could do such damage. Isn't there another reason? Air conditioning in the flat or different weather conditions in your current location (air is more dry?)?

Comment

The flat was very difficult to ventialte due to locks on windows and the carpet cleaner used was super budget and nasty judging by the packet I found weeks later.

On the tThursday I moved in I had an eye pain in my left eye. On the Friday I started having difficulty using air conditioning in my car. On the Saturday my right eye became sore. On the Sunday I could no longer watch TV for any length of time and wear contacts and on the Monday when I returned to work I could barely look at a computer screen and couldn't wear contact lenses any more. A week beforehand I had no difficulty wearing bausch and Lomb soft lenses for 14 hours.

The carpet itself was cheap and new and was possibly off-gassing formaldehyde. Untilo I moved to this flat I had never lived anywhere with carpet. Instead live in wooden villas with wood floorboards. The reason I suspect carpet is that the tenant in the bottom flat started having problems with her eyes 18 months ago and now has severe uveitis and can't work. She is a patient of my opthalmologist too.

Comment

I'd be interested to hear if anyone else has had painful eye problems from solvents? Initially I thought my problems may have been caused by a sleeping pill but all the medical professionals consider taking two halcion/triazolam tablets to be an unlikely cause of whatever happened to me. It also seems unlikely that my symptons would get worse days after taking the halsion/triazolam given it's mostly out of your body in a few hours.

Comment

My disaster had nothing to do with carpet cleaner. Was caused by exposure to meth. The guy who lived below me must have Klee people Cook meth. God knows what chemical I was exposed to. Have total burning body and eyes. Life is now hell .

Comment

Working...
            X