Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Damaged my eye surface by napping in contact lens? Severe dry eye, grateful for info.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Damaged my eye surface by napping in contact lens? Severe dry eye, grateful for info.

Hi everyone!

I was wondering if anyone had any guesses or advice as to what might be the cause of my severe dry eye? I had untreated and undisguised blepharitis for 2 years, my only symptom being that my eyes stuck together in the morning, and slight contact lens intolerance 1.5 years after getting blepharitis. In January this year I fell asleep on a train for 2-3 hours with daily acuvue moist lens in and mascara/eyeliner on. My eyes were bloodshot when I woke up and that night I kept waking up with a burning stinging pain in my eyes. Since then I have had all the symptoms of severe dry eye - I literally could not believe the damage that I did to my eyes on that train journey. My dry eye completely changed overnight. I have constant redness, burning, stinging, pain, wake up during the night with pain, struggle to read and use computer, really suffer in the heat, general horrible soreness that never goes away.

Now I have been to see lots of ophthalmologists, optometrists and doctors since then and they told me that napping in my lens definitely would not have caused long term damage and they seem confused by my eyes inability to recover, one even told me I would be healed In a month (that was February!) I am struggling so much because of how my symptoms changed dramatically after that incident. Does anyone have any idea at all what I might have done to my eyes/eye surface by sleeping in my lens? I have low tear film breakup (3-4 seconds) and my schirmer test results were 2mm in one and 3mm in the other eye.

Thank you! Any information at all would be amazing!

Ps so far I have tried numerous drops, lipiflow, hot and cold compresses, omega eye supplements, and currently on FML steroids to reduce inflammation. Haven't felt any improvement from any of these treatments as my spts are steadily worsening. I really thought FML would do the trick because my optometrist told it gets great almost immediate results in most people and I've had no improvement, I can't stop crying and feel like this has taken over my whole life
Working...
X