Dry left eye-MISERABLE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dry left eye-MISERABLE

I am 61 years old. I have a chronic watering left eye. I was first diagnosed with "dry eyes" in 2004 and I have been to 4 or 5 opthalmologist, was given a script for Restasis, which I religiously used for many years, but this regimen did nothing to help my eyes. My left eye has gotten worse over time and is like a leaky water faucet. I have had procedures done on my left eye after I was told by the oculoplastic surgeon that my lower punctum was "severly damaged". He went in to try to repair it and I had a stent in there for 3 months. After that procedure he went in again with the goal of inserting a Jones tube, but he discovered a way to repair the lacrimal canal that goes into the noes. Again a stent was placed in there for another 3 months to facilitate healing of the repaired lacrimal duct. The stent was removed on May 19 and my left eye is still tearing every single GD day! I have tried everything from using eye drops to ointments--and nothing has helped to alleviate my runny left eye--not even this last surgery. The surgeon tested my repaired duct and said that the duct was "wide open" so it is supposedly functional as a tear drain. I am at my wit's end. I made an appointment to see an allergist this month. Also a few years ago, my doctor's office called me at work to inform me that I have the S S R? factor in my blood that is supposed to go with the onset of Sjogren's syndrome, which is an autoimmune disorder affecting moisture glands. I link this factor to my dry eye, but I have a chronic watery left eye and it is totally interfering with my daily life. I am going to see my oculoplastic surgeon on the 27th of July. Does anyone out there have this problem with a very wet eye, watery eye and what have you found that helps??? I am desperately searching for answers. I wish modern science would come up with a way to combat autoimmune disorders as this seems to be part of my problem. again I only have the problem in my left eye. My right eye is perfectly fine and does not run or get watery, not even slightly! I wish my left eye would stop watering!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You have really been through a great deal and I am sorry that nothing has helped. I cannot even begin to say how irritating this must be to live with and unfortunately I don't have anything to add that might be of any help given all the medical treatment you have already had. Long shot.....I am glad that you will see an allergist. The GPC that I wrote about happened only in one eye.....you would think that wearing the same contact lenses in both eyes would have resulted in an issue with both, but the left eye remained completely unaffected. I know that they always tell you that an allergy hits equally, but I have to wonder. Have you gotten enough info about Sjogren's to see if that might be playing a part?

Comment

Hi Brigida, I'm so sorry you are going through all of this! I get teary eyes after a few hours of being awake. It's embarrassing, because I work with other people and it looks like I'm crying. I do a little technique that my son's pediatrician taught me - his tear ducts were closed and his eye moisture streamed down like tears. The doctor said the put pressure on the corner of the eye where that pink thing is (don't know what it's called). I put pressure on both of those points. While my tissue and fingers are pushing, I jiggle my finger back and forth, which kind of rubs an underlying irritation/itch. I think maybe it helps open up the little hole that lies in it, where the tears are supposed to drain. I'm not like you, where it happens all day. Mine stops after I do the above procedure or after 30 minutes at the latest. I hope this helps.

Comment

Working...
      X