X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Post PRK/Lasek Dry Eye

Hi everyone,
    Long time lurker first time poster!
    I first found this site last year when i began researching whether I should have my previously LASIK'd eyes topped up with lasek. I found a lot of what I read alarming but thought the pros would outweigh the cons and that the liklihood of it happening to me were so slim anyway considering I had zero issues after LASIK seven years ago.

So anyway, seven years ago I had lasik and it worked beautifully. No issues until last year when I noticed my vision regressing. I thought long and hard about whether I should get an enhancement and in the end I decided to go for it. The main deciding factor was the fact that the clinic were offering it to me free of charge as part of their lifetime guarantee package. I felt I'd be silly not to do it.

So here I am, 3 months later and suffering badly with dry eye. I have red veins in my eyes constantly which are getting me down more so than the discomfort of the dry eye. I went for my checkup the other day and I was told my eyes were only slightly on the dry side...? I'm wondering if it's only slightly why do they feel and look awful? Did they just examine me at a point in the day where my eyes weren't quite so dry?

I have tried it all!! Omega 3, flax seed, water, antihistamines, compresses, preservative free eye drops etc etc.
    I know it may still be early days, but I'd love to talk to someone who had this problem after PRK and now have amazingly white eyes again. After 3 months am I panicking too early? I just want my sparkly eyes back.
    On the plus side my vision is excellent.

Welcome Nori,
    I had PRK in 2007. It took almost a full year for my eyes to heal, so the good part is that you still have some healing time left. I am not clear whether you had PRK or Lasek surgery. The not so good news is that about two years after the surgery I developed severe dry eye, ocular rosacea and MGD. I hope that you are still healing, and that time will take care of your dry eye problem. There are tests to determine whether or not you have nerve damage, but I am not sure it has been long enough since your surgery. Sending you best wishes and good thoughts.
    Last edited by LaDiva; 08-Jul-2015, 09:41.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. It was PRK. When should I start to panic?! Should I just keep doing what I'm doing until my 6 month check up?

Comment

Hi Nori and Welcome,
        I think you shouldn't start to panic. Try to stay calm as much as possible. I know that is hard, and I personaly am panicking a lot. But I try to stay calm with different methods-meditation, homeophaty, accupuncture... Also, you should ask the doctor about Restasis for example.It helps to some people with the dryness. I had LASIK 1 year ago , and still suffering from pain in my right eye.But many people on this forum were fine after 6,9 or 12 months and even longer. So, you have plenty of time to heal!
        Last edited by Irina; 09-Jul-2015, 07:04.

Comment

Hi Irina
          Thank you for your encouragement, I think I'm in need of a pep talk! The redness is just driving me crazy!
          I haven't been told about restasis yet by anyone I've seen about my dry eyes, although I've seen it mentioned on this site a lot. I was told they might try plugs if things don't settle down, but I'm hoping it doesn't come to that. Did your dry eye improve at all within the past year?

Comment

Plugs can help.You should ask you lasik doctor about temporary ones. They usually provide them for free.Those plugs last up to 3 months, but somethimes they disappear faster. Anyway they worth to try.As for my eye ...I have bad days and good days, but I feel some discomfort in the eye every day still.

Comment

Hi Nori,
              I agree with Irina. Please do not panic! I think plugs might help. PRK has a lengthy healing time, although I was not plagued with dry eye until my eyes had healed. Did your doctor tell you that your oil glands are plugged, or is it tear deficiency? (Or both?)

Comment

The last time he looked he said my eyes were only very slightly on the dry side. He said I was producing enough tears, but that maybe they weren't staying in my eye long enough. I want to try and beat it without plugs in the coming months first if I can. He said once I get plugs I will be reliant on them for life. He also told me to cut down on the artificial tears, so my eyes get used to producing their own tears more often as they could get used to me putting in drops too often. I just have so many special occasions coming up in the coming months and the thought of going to them with my junkie like eyes.....I think I'd rather just stay at home

Comment

Nori, if you don't have pain in your eyes then you are good. Honestly, I'd rather have red eye than painful one.

Comment

I know I'm luckier than most on this site. I don't have constant pain but I do experience pain on average maybe 4 times a day, not excruciating, but like a dull headache feeling behind the eyes. This tends to happen when I've been watching TV, reading, when I'm tired or if I've not out the drops in for a while.

Comment

i am new at this posting as well but i should think antihistamines would dry your eyes out even more. the most relief i have gotten when i accidentally try to open a stuck eye (or two) after sleeping is a very warm shower running the water over my closed eyelids. or a wet hot soft cloth. i usually remember not to open my eyes if they are stuck and use drops to moisten them first. i have never had LASIK so perhaps things are different for you. a more delicate condition. i wish you the best. i had an appointment for blepharoplasty but have been reading up on the 'net and find that is a very bad idea and have a call in to cancel the surgery. insurance will pay but i am not into doing anything unless it is something necessary - certainly not for looks alone.

Comment

7 months post PRK and still no improvement. I've tried every single drop out there. I woke up today with my eyelid stuck to my eyeball and all because I didn't re lubricate my eye after getting up to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night. I've been told by a colleague today that my eye looks terrible. I cant look anyone in the eye anymore, i'm so self conscious of my own eyes and so eaten up with jealousy over theirs. I'm at work with a banging head ache all because of dry eye that nobody can sort out.

I've been told I'm fully healed, and I am producing enough tears but they don't stay on my eye long enough. Is there anything that can be done? Realistically? is there actually any way that I am going to get my eyes back to being in any way comfortable? I am so grateful that this is only in one eye, if it were in both eyes I don't think I would function. I've been referred to st George's in London. My own surgery clinic has asked me back again in December. I'll be getting plugs fitted. I hope these have a positive effect.

I would love to know, who has healed after this situation? is there actually anyone who can say they have healed? even if its just 50% better than how my eyes are now? If you did heal, when did you notice it?

My eyes are at their worst in bright lights (supermarkets, offices), at computers and in air con. I'm surprisingly ok when I'm outside for the day.

Comment

I am sorry to hear this Nori. I'd find a new eye doctor. If you can find a good teaching college with an ophthalmology school, try it out. It sounds like you need plugs and goggles. The bright light situation, for me, meant that the cornea was damaged. That being said, the eye heals itself quickly, so this is not irreversible. I am not a doctor, just speaking from personal experience. You might ask to be checked for Ocular Rosacea and Demodex mites. It sounds like you have an oil issue. Sending good wishes.
                          Last edited by LaDiva; 13-Nov-2015, 13:47.

Comment

Thanks ladiva. I really don't know how people persevere looking for treatments for years with this. I'm only 7 months in and I am losing my mind. Over the last two days I have also been getting severe headaches, I'm unsure if this is related. God I hope not.

Comment

Try to take some painkillers like Advil or Alive. If they help, than you headaches less likely related with eyes.

Comment

Working...
                              X