Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Young male with dry eyes

Hi everyone!

My name is Blake and I'm 22 years old and currently go to school in Austin, Texas. I enjoy working out and playing video games in my spare time as well as hanging out with friends like anyone else my age.

Two years ago I began to have dry eyes, at first it wasn't that bad and I simply switched from my bi-weekly contacts to dailies and didn't think any more of it. But over the past two years its gotten progressivly worse till the point where I started to seek serious medical help. After about a year I had been to 3 optometrists and 2 ophthalmologists who all failed to identify my symptoms at an early point. After about 1.5 years with my dry eyes I was unable to wear daily contacts at all anymore and was resigned to wearing my glasses at all times. Now currently I'm at my lowest I've ever felt with dry eyes, my eyes have been abraded some and now bright objects have a haze around them as well as all bright lights looking strange in general.

About a week ago I had LipiFlow done and after about a week haven't had that much of an improvement. Prior to this doctors had put me on a regiment of supplements and warm compresses but these have not helped improve my condition either. If anyone has any suggestions for treatments to try or doctors to go to I'm willing to travel anywhere in the US and would love to hear your suggestions.

I'm sure many of you in the community have had the same struggles that I'm going through and I'd love to hear your advice as well as to be there and help anyone else through their hard times if they need it.

I've had eye problems for 4 years now, I suffer from ocular rosacea. I've been where you are and there are more treatments to try. For now, I'd use non preservative artificial tears, a good lid cleaning scrub (like ocusoft plus ) and add a good omega 3. Also, many have found some relief by changing their diet to an anti inflammatory low sugar diet. Keep searching the forum for ideas, many people have gotten better. I'm still looking for my "cure" but have gotten much better over the last 4 years.

Comment

Hi Blake,

My dry eye problem also started in my early 20s and it got to the point where I had to reduce my contact lens wearing time, then I couldn't even tolerate them at all, and then it got to the point where my eyes had a burning sensation all day nearly every day. I tried a lot of treatments including LipiFlow (which didn't help me either... although they say it may take a few weeks before it works). Here's what did help somewhat: low dose doxycycline and manual expression by optometrist about once every 2-3 months. The doxycycline took a few months before I noticed any improvement and the I still have a lipid layer deficiency but my eyes no longer have the constant burning sensation. Also, make sure you aren't overdoing the warm compresses – too much heat for too long can actually cause more inflammation and keep the glands clogged.

I really hope you find some relief.

Comment

I hope you get some relief. I had dry eye pain and now its moved to managing my burning.

At one point my eyelids would not open up when I woke up every morning. It would take alot to open them. I found magnesium helped me immensely.. I was reluctant at first when I saw my GP because Ive been taking multi vitamins my whole life. But he made a really good point - all supplements are not made equal and its important to get as pure and as quality effective as possible.

I don't know whats available where you live but heres a list of brands that are good for supplements:
        http://www.healthsupplementsnutritio...i-vitamin.html

You should do a blood test. I found out I'm very low in iron and some doctors told me that also impacts the dry sensation you get in your eyes.

It takes 30 days of taking the supplements religiously to see a improvement. Please follow the intake a medical doctor decides for you. A blood test would be good! Our blood tells us alot of things. I waited a whole year before I took a full detailed blood test and I even had to convince the doctor at that time that we have not looked at my blood. Sometimes you have to be your biggest advocate and risk looking seriously over-eager or that you are self diagnosing.

It will get better!

Hope you get relief.

Comment

Working...
        X