Concerned for my son

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Concerned for my son

Such a great forum here, with so many supportive members. I have been reading for months.

I could write a book with details here, but I will do my best to keep it short. I am here to gain support, ideas.... anything, for both myself, and my son. My son has had issues recently, and it is taking it's toll on my own health, but more importantly his. He is an otherwise healthy 8 year old boy.

Long story short, we had an issue with inflammation that then caused an infection. I don't believe it started as an infection, but I guess it could have. I did not see obvious signs of infection at first, just inflammation, but there was definitely an infection with the obvious signs later on. We did a couple rounds of generic Maxitrol drops per an Ophthalmologist. Again, I could go into more details why we did what we did, but it was about 7-8 day sessions of giving him the drops, twice. With a 10 day gap between them. That very first session, we were giving him the drops very frequently as per the doctor for the first few days. I think he was concerned about the state of the infection. After those first few days we tapered off to a normal 4 or so times a day. It was probably a grand total of 14-16 days of giving him the drops, with a week or so break in the middle. All of this was done with the Opth approval.

After another Opth appt, there was no infection, but he prescribed some OTC Alaway. I didn't go into detail before, but I had already tried Zaditor on him, but without much success with it, I didn't continue. Perhaps gave him those drops 3 or 4 times max. That was well before the infection and maxitrol drops though. I tried the Alaway a couple times, but stopped as it didn't seem to help, and perhaps even made things worse.

Above was a very brief description of what has transpired over the course of 3+ months. I have done much reading and research, and I am scared to death. I am a young'ish father who fears the worst.

My son is still suffering with something. We have since seen a new Ophthalmologist who now questions the Maxitrol and allergy drop usage prescribed by the other doctor. He has instructed us to stop all medications, including oral antihistamines and allergy drops. I had already started this, with the exception of the occasional oral antihistamine, as sometimes I thought it was helping. I already had PF Systane tears that I would give him occasionally. The doc said to only do the PF Systane for now. The doc did mention Bleph, but also backtracked a little on that. The doc wants me to try and document/photograph my boy when he is at his worst. When we had him in the office, it wad during the day when he usually looks his best.

Where we are today: My boy has all the signs of dry eye, and less the signs of allergy. He looks much better in the mornings, than he does in the evenings. No gunk, or crusty stuff ever, not even morning. However, in the evening time, he gets very inflamed, red eyes. Especially after taking a shower. It is worse in one eye. If he spends time outdoors, then much later that night it will be worse. If he is in really bad shape one night, you can still see signs of it the next day. If he has a good night, the next day he will look almost normal, only to start to look bad again later that night.

I snuggle and hug my boy so much. I am scared of what I have potentially caused, or what could be. I want my boy to be normal again. This has been the worst 3 months of my life.

You guys are so smart. Let me know if you have any advice.

Hi and welcome to the forum,I'm so sorry to hear of your boys eye problems it must be such a worry for you, I'm afraid I can't help other then to add my first thoughts are to keep a food diary and note everything that also happens when you see a flare up, for Instance when he goes outside and that triggers it, note where he's been, what plants was he near, what was the weather, anything you can think of, if it flares up overnight which pillows did he use, was the window open? (For me my eyes are better first thing if my window is on vent and it took a diary to learn that wide open or closed was bad). I would of thought a shower would sooth his eyes, if they are irritated by one I would wonder if it may be blaph? To much heat can really flare mine up but controlled amounts are helpful for many of us. Hope you find some answers here, you have our support and it sounds to me like your doing a great job Helping your little boy.
    People have recovered, so can we.
    www.twitter.com/EyeGirlfriend)

Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read my post waterbee. I have been making a mental diary for sure, but you are right, a written one could certainly help and potentially reveal some things.

Right now, he doesn't really have flare ups at random times. He just simply looks the best, first thing in the morning and progressively gets worse as the day goes on. It seems that if he happens to be outside for longer periods during one day, he will be worse that night. Not directly after being outside though. It doesn't flare up at night when in bed, but rather just before he goes to bed he will be at his worst. The shower is not the cause, this I know, but it does make him worse. Most of the time he will seem to go back to how he was before the shower after some time after though. The only soap he uses is johnsons baby shampoo nothing else. He is very careful not to get any in his eyes and same with just the water alone.

We live in a newly built house, but not brand new. In other words we lived here for a couple years prior with no major issues. We sometimes run a humidifier in his room but that doesn't seem to make much of a difference. We also have a nice hepa air purifier that we leave running in the house and often put in his room at night on low. Again, no significant changes. We got him a whole new bed and allergy avoiding pillow. We keep his sheets clean and the whole house for that matter.

We do live in a very hot and dry area of the states. The weather is just now starting to get cooler. I have been praying for rain. Because of the weather and his issues, we have been keeping indoors more than we normally would. Like I said above, that seems to help more than hurt.

Comment

I also have an 8 year old boy who suffers from dry eye, mgd, and chronic allergic conjunctivitis. I know people go through worse and I should be grateful he's otherwise healthy, but it's killing me. I suffer from it all too and so I know what a pain it is. Poor guy always has very red, itchy, burning eyes and nothing really seems to help. He has random flares for no discernable reason. He sees an optho in another state and he seems very qualified, but no matter what my son's eyes are never really clear looking or not bothersome to him. I'm really sorry you're dealing with this. I can sense from your message it's eating away at you. I completely relate. I am up at night worrying about our son because of his eyes. If I find any miracle I will surely let you know.

Comment

Thank you Tiff, and god bless you and your son. How long has he been suffering?

For what it's worth, I have seen some improvement in my son lately. He is still not his normal self, but it hasn't been quite as bad the last week or so. We have not been giving him anything, not even tear drops, mainly because nothing seemed to help anyway. I'm hoping the cooler weather is doing the trick. However, it's supposed to be back up to 100 today *yuk*.

I also had my water tested yesterday. I always knew we didn't have the best water here. I knew it was really hard, and sometimes smelled a bit off. As it turns out, not only is it hard, but it has lots of chlorine in it. Well more than average city water. My water guy said the city probably did that in attempt to get rid of the smell, which makes sense because we haven't noticed the bad smell quite as bad this year. I'm having a whole house water treatment system installed early next week. We have been wanting to do this for years. Hopefully this will help with my sons issues as well.

My son also doesn't complain very much. All the people around me keep reminding me of that when I am stressed about it, including his mom. My son also has very good vision, 20/20 without any correction. They remind me of this as well. I try to keep myself under control knowing those things, but I still stress about it.

I will also keep in touch with anything I find that may help. So far, I think the weather is helping more than anything. This summer has been the hottest/driest summer on record for the last 100 years in our area. I am in the eastern part of the Pacific Northwest. I have been praying for rain. Soon.

Comment

Originally posted by DsDad View Post
            Such a great forum here, with so many supportive members. I have been reading for months.

I could write a book with details here, but I will do my best to keep it short. I am here to gain support, ideas.... anything, for both myself, and my son. My son has had issues rYou guys are so smart. Let me know if you have any advice.

Hi Ds Dad

I can hear feel everything how horrible it is if our son suffers.

you may try my way of treatment. You may have to study a lot. Kids or below 14 years can be cured or controlled easily. But you need stubborn orthodox mind to follow my way and I feel its the only way. No medicines no eye drops no need of doctors. It is in the following thread and read all my posts

http://www.dryeyezone.com/talk/showt...pathy-Ayurveda
            Raw eating cures all deceases.
            whole body cure is eye cure
            FOOD (Natural, chemical free), Environment (air, water, noise), Relaxed Mind makes decease free

Comment

Working...
            X