Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back to the Eye Desert..

Hello people,

many years ago I wrote a post in the „Dry eye triumphs“ section. At that time, I actually thought that someday my dry eye will be history. (A very naive mindset at that time) There were Days where I never used any eyedrops at all, and that went on for a couple of years. I have no autoimmune disease, no post lasik Dry eye, or any other chronic diseases (As far as I can say after all the testing I’ve had). I have been diagnosed with Cptsd due to childhood abuse and multiple adverse childhood experiences, which also included being locked in a basement, and violence etc. I think this amount of stress must’ve also lead to my dry eyes. Unfortunately due to depression and OCD I began once again eating pretty badly, huge amounts of sugar, what and Diary. My dryness returned 3 years ago, at the beginning it was manageable, but then again I felt I needed the drops more often and the typical dry eye symptoms returned. I’m on Ikervis since 6 months, and I’ve got punctum plugs since 2 weeks. I’ve again cut off sugar/ wheat and Diary since 9 weeks, which is helping a bit, but the eyes are still bothering me.
    Im taking cumin daily, Glutamin for my intestinal wall, maqui berry tablets, Omega oil, flaxseed, Zinc and other vitamins.

Just a bit frustrated..

Thanks for reading.

I had depression and OCD before my dry eye, and I think the depression/OCD contributed to me spending too long looking at screens compulsively, without blinking, and contributed to causing the dry eye. Of course... after I got dry eye, my depression got much worse.

Maybe you already know the book The Body Keeps the Score? It helped me, but it is also triggering for people with trauma, so make sure only to read it when you're feeling relatively okay.

Hang in there. Cutting out sugar and dairy is definitely the right thing to do. It's worth taking the chance that things will get better. Best wishes for continued healing from your trauma.

Comment

Hello Shahara and welcome!

I am so sorry to hear your dry eye is in a worse place right now. I think that the intersection of ocular surface pain (the hardest part of dry eye) plus any mental health conditions is so especially hard. I talk to people with OCD, depression, ptsd, bipolar and other things pretty regularly and trying to balance out all the needs is so challenging.

Couple of thoughts -

Hang on to the fact that you WERE better and think about the positive side of what that means. Ups and downs are a common feature of dry eye. Think of this as a flare-up, not as a change to your overall trajectory. It may require adjustments and you may have to invest more into your eyes but it doesn't mean you are necessarily stuck in 'worse'.

Consider joining one of our Zoom groups. Here's a little more info (we have one on Friday).

Celebrate the small triumphs. I find it inspiring that you are continuing to invest in such major dietary change! That's great.

What are your symptoms like now. Are they under good control? Do you have moisture chamber glasses? Often those are helpful in feeling more control over things and not being at the mercy of how quickly a new treatment will start to bring any benefit.
      Rebecca Petris
      The Dry Eye Foundation
      dryeyefoundation.org
      800-484-0244

Comment

Thanks Anteloper, how Do you feel these Days? And how have your eyes been? Yes, I’ve read the book The Body keeps the Score“.. it’s one of those books you always come across when it comes to Trauma.

Comment

Originally posted by Rebecca Petris View Post
          Hello Shahara and welcome!

I am so sorry to hear your dry eye is in a worse place right now. I think that the intersection of ocular surface pain (the hardest part of dry eye) plus any mental health conditions is so especially hard. I talk to people with OCD, depression, ptsd, bipolar and other things pretty regularly and trying to balance out all the needs is so challenging.

Couple of thoughts -

Hang on to the fact that you WERE better and think about the positive side of what that means. Ups and downs are a common feature of dry eye. Think of this as a flare-up, not as a change to your overall trajectory. It may require adjustments and you may have to invest more into your eyes but it doesn't mean you are necessarily stuck in 'worse'.

Consider joining one of our Zoom groups. Here's a little pmore info (we have one on Friday).

Celebrate the small triumphs. I find it inspiring that you are continuing to invest in such major dietary change! That's great.

What are your symptoms like now. Are they under good control? Do you have moisture chamber glasses? Often those are helpful in feeling more control over things and not being at the mercy of how quickly a new treatment will start to bring any benefit.

Thank you Rebecca, how have you been? Haven’t been here for a while. Good to know about the Zoom Groups, I’ll check em out! Do you follow any diet? I’m still on very very less sugars, No wheat and Diary.. which is quite tough but I’m having more energy but I’m not always sure about the benefit on eyes. Must remember that, 10-15 years of bad diet is not that quickly reversible. In general I’m in good health, except the Dry eyes. I’m using Coconut oil once in a while and they help lot.

Moisture chamber Glasses? I’ll look em up. Thanks

Best wishes Rebecca!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Shahara View Post
            Thanks Anteloper, how Do you feel these Days? And how have your eyes been? Yes, I’ve read the book The Body keeps the Score“.. it’s one of those books you always come across when it comes to Trauma.
            I'm doing relatively okay, thank you! Still doing IPL every 1-2 months and I expect that to continue.

Comment

Working...
            X