moisture chamber glasses and Amitryptiline

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• moisture chamber glasses and Amitryptiline

Moisture chamber glasses literally saved my life. . .I must wear them all the time, but the ones I have are quite lovely and chic. . .They can be made, using regular glasses, through customization/fitting, at Ohio State Optometry Clinic's optical center (Master Optician: Dave Rogers); by optical genius and artisan Scott Kornfeld (Hicksville, Long Island), and by Bascom Palmer Eye Institute Optometrist and Optician extraordinaire Angel Perez (Miami). If you have evaporative dry eye, you may be AMAZED at how these glasses can restore you to normal sensation. I treat my eye pain through other means, but air sensitivity is greatly reducible with moisture chambers. Do you have "menthol sensation" that makes it hard for you to keep your eyes open? Then moisture chambers may be an excellen solution. . .As back-up, I keep prescription RecSpecs on hand. . .kind of a superior version of PanOptyx. . .very customized, in prescription. . and with an excellent, tight, foam fit. . .My other interesting experience has been with the drug Amitryptiline, which can be a superb way to control the burning pain of evaporative dry eye. . .I learned that the burning pain is neurogenic, through deduction, when my doc and I decided to experiment with Amitryptiline, which is well known for neurogenic pain treatment efficacy, and my pain stopped nearly instantly, and stayed away. . .If you consider a pain med like this, please don't be scared off by the grossly exaggerated claims about drugs drying the eyes. . .Not all of us get drier, at all, through these drugs. . .When I was on Amitryptiline, my Schirmers never worsened. . .but boy did I feel great. . .
    <Doggedly Determined>

question about post

Rojzen,
    I cannot find any info on RecSpecs with the foam. Anyone got a link?

Thanks,
    Billye

Comment

Try the Rec-Specs Torque 1 and 2 models.

Click Me, then scroll down to Torque 1 and 2 models.

Hope that helps,

Neil

Comment

Originally posted by Rojzen
        My other interesting experience has been with the drug Amitryptiline, which can be a superb way to control the burning pain of evaporative dry eye. . .I learned that the burning pain is neurogenic, through deduction, when my doc and I decided to experiment with Amitryptiline, which is well known for neurogenic pain treatment efficacy, and my pain stopped nearly instantly, and stayed away. . .If you consider a pain med like this, please don't be scared off by the grossly exaggerated claims about drugs drying the eyes. . .Not all of us get drier, at all, through these drugs. . .When I was on Amitryptiline, my Schirmers never worsened. . .but boy did I feel great. . .
        I can say from personal experience that Amitriptyline has only increased my burning and other DES symptoms. I stay on it because the pain it treats is much more debilitating. I am sure that everyone responds differently.
        Every day with DES is like a box of chocolates...You never know what you're going to get.

Comment

Great!

Thanks Neil,
          How do you measure your eyesize?

Billye

Comment

I'd look here:

http://www.eyeglasses.com/right_size_glasses.page

Then ... you either want an optician's help ... or ... perhaps just take measurements from an existing pair of glasses that fit you well.

I'm sort of guessing here. This is a bit out of my depth (what else is new?).

Comment

Well..

I need to read this site after I've had my morning coffee!! I've got brain fuzz right now. But wanted to thank you Neil for the link.

Billye

Comment

I can say from personal experience that Amitriptyline has only increased my burning and other DES symptoms. I stay on it because the pain it treats is much more debilitating. I am sure that everyone responds differently.
                I was curious about "Amitriptyline" and looked it up. I was surprised to find it was an older anti-depressant known as Elavil. You just never know.

I don't know about "Amitriptyline" specifically, but I know people are often afraid to take meds for their pain because of the anticipated drying effect. Unless you give it a chance, you'll never know the benefits might outweigh the side affects.

Lucy
                Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Originally posted by Rojzen
                  Moisture chamber glasses literally saved my life. . .I must wear them all the time, but the ones I have are quite lovely and chic. . .They can be made, using regular glasses, through customization/fitting, at Ohio State Optometry Clinic's optical center (Master Optician: Dave Rogers); by optical genius and artisan Scott Kornfeld (Hicksville, Long Island), and by Bascom Palmer Eye Institute Optometrist and Optician extraordinaire Angel Perez (Miami). If you have evaporative dry eye, you may be AMAZED at how these glasses can restore you to normal sensation.
                  Rojzen - I know appearance comes second to comfort in the case of dry eye management, but I am thinking about visiting some family in Long Island in the next few months and I see that you reference a LI person above (Scott Kornfeld). Do you know if he can make moisture chamber goggles that are functional and don't completely look "odd" in public?

I would want to try the mc goggles at work and while vanity certainly takes a back seat, I would prefer that for the most part, people focus on me and my work and not my glasses/goggles.

I know that I can contact Scott directly, but since you are wearing custom fit moisture chamber goggles, I was hoping you could share your thoughts on whether they make a major, new "fashion" statement.

Perhaps we should all get a pair and start a new fashion trend? Actually, every time I see Bono from U2, he seems to be wearing wraparound glasses that hug his face. If it's good enough for Bono, it should be good enough for me. Having said this, I'm not a rock star and my dress "style" tends to be more low profile, so your thoughts on the aesthetic look of moisture chamber goggles (and others thoughts as well), is appreciated.

Again, I know the goggles will be "different". I guess the part I don't know, is "how different". I see that the process of making mc goggles begins with a regular glass frame so the difference is in the goggle covering.

Can someone like Scott make this goggle covering look decent in style? Also, since I seem to be having fogging issues with some of my "standard" goggles, do you know if this is less of a problem with "custom" goggles? Thanks.

Comment

MC glasses are not goggles at all

Just want to clarify that moisture chamber glasses, as made by the aesthetic genius Scott Kornfeld at Woodbury Optical on Long Island, are not goggles. They bear no resemblance to wrap-arounds, either. They are simply regular glasses into the frames of which are fitted Eagle Vision soft/clear plastic cylinders that are nearly invisible to the observer. Scott advises the selection of very small, oval-shaped lenses, and in order to be able to wear affixed sunglasses, one must buy a frame that comes with magnetic, rather than clip-on, sun lenses. . .There are some web sites that show photos of the old-fashioned moisture chamber glasses, but these capture the concept. . .

My RecSpecs ARE sportglasses, of a wrap-around nature, like Pantoptyx glasses. . .While they contain my progressive lens RX, the lense distort quite a lot. . .and so they are for occasional use only. . .

True moisture chambers, which Scott and three other folks make, essentially look exactly like regular glasses. . .Scott fits the patient in such a way that the plastic cylinders should not be visible from a head-on view. . .

I will try to get a photo of these to link to, somehow. . .but there are photos available at some of the conventional dry eye sites. .

Hope that clarifies. . .
                    <Doggedly Determined>

Comment

Some practice..

My optical man here ordered the Eagle Vision rectangle plastic cylinders and attempted to fit them on my favorite glasses. The glasses broke and could not be replaced. (I did get a new pair of glasses) But be aware that it takes some skill and practice to fit these. And having had this experience I was pleasing surprised when Mayo told me and showed me, a pair that they are able to make. The cylinder is more substantial but still clear and flexible.

Billye

Comment

Thanks Rojzen and Billye! Great info. and it gives me more hope.

Today is the first day that I have used the combination of Panoptyx and Wiley-X goggles all day and it has been my best day since prior to my severe dry eyes set in about 7 months ago. My aching pain around my eyes/head even feels better since I last posted earlier today. I know it's still early and I'm not saying I am back to where I want to be, but I am encouraged. I will definitely call Scott and may even move my visit to NY up a month. It's great to know that the "look" is glasses with a "twist" .

I am still wondering about fogging issues since I seem to get a fair amount in certain situations depending on the type of lens being worn. I am sure Scott can help me with this, but of course user insight is much appreciated.

It sounds like the mc glasses are an excellent option to further investigate. Thanks again!

Comment

Working...
                        X