new dryeye

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new dryeye

I just wanted to say thank you first. I'm an uninsured actor on tour who's been completely frustrated about what could be wrong with my eyes for almost two monthes. I thought I had pink eye at first, and then paid 350 bucks in Boston to be diagnosed with corneal irritation, even though looking at the possible causes and symptoms, it seems obvious to me that I have dry eye. All of which I told the doctor! So thank you, thank you, thank you for this page. I think I would have lost my mind by now if not for the info on this page. I will be insured in April, and I fully intend on going to a doctor then, but I had some questions for now if someone might be able to answer them, or point me to the right forum I'd really appreciate it.
    First of all, I've been a contact lens wearer for 14 years, not now! Also, I've been living in hotels since September, (I now own a humidifier: ) I've also been in dry windy climates since the problem started, Chicago, Boston, Minneapolis, etc.
    With all that said, if these are the combined causes of my dry eye, does it ever get better? Is there a possibility it will go away when the temp warms up, and I'm not on the road anymore. I'm a little scared that it's irreversible.
    My second question is, I will finally have enough money to get lasik surgery, which I've always wanted. If it does get better, will Lasik definitely make it come back, or if I still have it will it make it worse?

Also I'm practicaly blind and glasses are a huge hindrance to my job, to even getting a job! if Lasik is no longer an option, which contacts are the best for dry eye, RGP?

Thanks so much, I know it's alot of info and questions, I appreciate any help, and this page. I've been really depressed and frustrated, and scared, this page has made me feel better, physically, and emotionally.

Welcome Wanderer, come in and make yourself at home.

Check out the forum Q&A with Dr. Greg Gemoules--some good tips on types of contact lenses that might work for dry eyes. Soft lenses, low water content/high water content or RGP--you will have to find a really good optometrist and try different lenses to find which will work best.

I haven't had Lasik, but wouldn't recommend it (many threads on this forum by people who now have debilitating, permanent dry eye as a result of Lasik).

I am a high myope, a dry eye sufferer, and I wear contact lenses. I currently wear an Extreme H2O in my left eye and a Biomedics XC in my right eye, and seem to do OK unless it's pollen season.

There are always improvements in contact lens design/materials, and I usually try whatever is new; I have never given up on contacts, although sometimes I have to wear my glasses.

C66

Comment

I'm a little scared that it's irreversible.
      It may be very well irreversible. It may be something you need to research and work with possibly the rest of your life. Many of us here have had dry eyes for years.

My second question is, I will finally have enough money to get lasik surgery, which I've always wanted. If it does get better, will Lasik definitely make it come back, or if I still have it will it make it worse?
      Lasik may not definitely make it come back. Many of us are here with dry eyes post-lasik. Lasik certainly will not cure dry eyes. I believe they now list dry eyes as a possible complication. Early on, this was not mentioned as a possible side effect. They learned this because so many of us kept complaining of sore, dry eyes after lasik.

Being "practically blind" with glasses may be a hinderance. I was -9.5 prior to lasik and that would qualify as "basically blind." I never wore contact lens before lasik, but about the only thing I never did that I wanted to do was learn to water ski. Five years after lasik, I had to quit my job due to problems with my eyes. Lasik certainly was a hindrance to me.

Another website that gives you more info about problems with lasik is www.lasermyeye.org............You'll have to do your own research and decide on the information you obtain whether lasik would be suitable for you. I think you need to see one or more doctors about your dry eye problems as soon as you are insured.

You may want to post a question to Dr. G in the forum about contact lens on this board about proper lens for dry eyes.
      Lucy
      Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Hi there and welcome

Originally posted by dryeyewanderer
        With all that said, if these are the combined causes of my dry eye, does it ever get better? Is there a possibility it will go away when the temp warms up, and I'm not on the road anymore.
        For many people it can and does get better depending on the specific causes. If yours is mostly environmental and lens wear, for example, that's different (better prognosis) than if you really have an underlying condition like meibomian gland dysfunction and the environmental stuff has simply been a trigger that pushed it over the edge.

Oh dear. I always worry about people getting LASIK when there's a career factor involved. So much at stake! You can win big or lose big. If you have good alternatives please do not consider LASIK until/unless you are free of dry eye symptoms for a good long time, if at all. - Hopefully there will be some contacts you can wear especially when you max out dry eye treatments. If at some point you are determined to get surgery, please research lens implants as a possible alternative to laser surgery - all surgeries have their complications risks but lens implants do not involve the loss of corneal nerves that laser surgery does.

Check with DrG on contact lens suggestions.
        Rebecca Petris
        The Dry Eye Foundation
        dryeyefoundation.org
        800-484-0244

Comment

Thanks!

Thanks everybody for you responses! They are all so helpful, and the support means alot!

Comment

Working...
          X