Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dental and sinus problems following dry eye.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dental and sinus problems following dry eye.

I've noticed a recurring theme on several of the threads that I've been reading and that is dental or sinus problems arising after having dry eyes. I wanted to establish a thread where we could put all of that information into one place. Please post here if you've had any of these problems ... even if you've recently posted on another thread. If you could briefly describe your problems and then, if you're comfortable with doing so, tell what caused your dry eyes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    As for myself, I had to see an ENT yesterday for an ear problem and I'm having a crown done on a tooth on Monday. I've had a problem with this tooth for a long time but they could never find the cause. Recently I bit down on some granola and *crack* went the filling, hence the crown on Monday. I also have pain behind my front tooth but they can't find the reason behind that one either.

I've had dry eye since before 2000, when I had LASIK, and I've recently been put on medication that causes dry mouth and eye so I imagine that's adding to the mix.

I have posted on another thread so forgive me if I repeat myself. I seem to have had a "light bulb" moment yesterday connecting the dry eye issue and dental problems. There may or may not be a connection here but I am interest to see how others respond.

Just prior to my dry eye problems I was having problems with a wisdom tooth and another tooth on my upper right side. Had the wisdom tooth removed and a long involved root canal and crown. (Two crowns on same tooth within short period of time *#@# dentist screwed up) I've also had a root canal and crown on Left upper.

I've always had greater problems with dryness and pain in right eye and to this day the right upper crowned tooth is bothersome.

Here on in I am going to see if my dryness flares up when tooth is bothering me.

As far as sinus issues, I've had them my whole life, due to alergies, so as least for me the sinus-dry eye is probably not connected as my dry eye problems only started in 2004 when the dental things started.

Comment

dry eye connection to ear and teeth

I have sjogrens and the lack of saliva creates an increase in calcium loss in the teeth. I recently had the four lower front replaced due to the enamel shearing off. It also contributes to a decrease in natural moisture in the ear canals and sinues. My eustacian tubes are chronically blocked and my doctor kept trying to get me to take more decongestants that add to the dry eye.

I'm on allergy shots to decrease the need for decongestants and had a tube placed in the bad ear to reduce the pressure. I use the mouthwash for dry mouth and carry the mini spray for emergency dry mouth. Everything in combination helps me function so I keep it up. I teach and need to talk all day so dry mouth is a real problem.

I just started wearing my Onion goggles in class to increase my vision comfort and the kids are OK with them. I may have to upgrade to something less conspicuous, but these work great.
      LianaT

Comment

Hi Liana
        I have trouble with blocked ears and dry mouth/burning tongue but Drs don't think it is Sjogrens. I am also having dental problems too. All these problems started after having Lasik in 2004.
        I find that the Biotene chewing gum is great for the dry mouth and they also have a good mouth wash and gel. I guess you can get that range in USA. If we can get it in NZ then it must be obtainable elsewhere as we seem to be the last to get health products.
        Chewing the gum seems to help my eyes a bit too. Only trouble is that I have to be a bit discreet about the chewing gum when I am at school. I am a volunteer teacher aide and piano teacher. Always keep a bottle of water beside me!
        When the going gets tough - the tough get going!

Comment

Help for dry mouth in NZ

Hi Dotanne
          I also live in NZ and find it hard getting all the products mentioned on these forums, and sometimes do mail order from Australia. However there is one great product here for dry mouth, and that is Nutra Sip from NutraNZ (www.nutranz.co.nz). They are a NZ company and you can only buy this mail order but it's great - a powder you mix with water and can sip all day (and night) to moisten a dry mouth. You can read more about it on the website. It was recommended to me by another Sjogren's forumite here in NZ.

Comment

Thanks Bluebrit for the NZ website. I will try it.
            I have mail ordered from Australia too and they are very quick. It is great to see a NZ co produce something for dry mouth. I have found that NZ eventually get most of the products mentioned. We apparently can get Genteal Gel now and Theratears products are available at some places and my local chemist will order in something if it is available in NZ. When I first tried to get Theratears in 2005 my Lasik people didn't want to know about it so I emailed the Theratears people in USA and had a very helpful reply and they informed me of an optician who stocked the products in a nearby town about an hour's drive away. Great service.
            I didn't have any joy with the NZ version of cyclosporin - but there is a chemist in Auckland who makes it up.
            When the going gets tough - the tough get going!

Comment

Hi,

I have had sinus problems in the past, long before I ever had dry eyes.
              I've also had blocked ears (they ended up getting syringed out).
              I'm also allergic to a lots of things.

Ian.

Comment

I have saliva which according to the dental hygienist is "too thick", and it eats at the enamel. Funny how that works. They prescribed a strong-fluoride toothpaste to deal with it somehow, and recommended Biotene gum.

I've had teeth problems all my life, but a few weeks ago I've closed a major chapter with all the crowns and repairs (for the near future at least), and my eyes have _not_ magically sprung back to oily health...

Even though there was clearly a link.

1) I had an eye pain related to a sinus problem which occurred through the one tooth that is connected to the sinuses. That tooth was then root-canaled and done with a year ago.

2) Doing other crowns, during a numbing injection of carbocaine into the right lower part of my mouth, apparently the dentist was close to some sort of nerve. The more carbocaine went into the soft tissue, the worse it felt. I felt like there was a bubble of pain that grew and then it suddenly shot to the outside of my cheek and all the way into my right eye, which then literally felt like it exploded.

The dentist said that it happens sometimes and I might have blurry vision for a few minutes. Gee, thanks man.

Comment

I've had dry eyes for years to a very light degree, it's only since the summer it's become severe. For two years I've had sinus problems, scan was clear, no allergies etc, and having two upper wisdom teeth out did help with the sinus pain but I still have puffy sinuses and blocked ears and dry eyes.

I think there must be a connection but I don't feel that medical science is any the wiser, certainly not in Europe right now where my eye doctor is about the rudest person I've met but I don't have a big choice. Hopefully when I move next year to another country I'll have better luck!

Interesting reading others experiences on here.
                  just keep swimming...

Comment

Root Canal causing dry eye (bacteria)

Originally posted by shoemama View Post
                    I have posted on another thread so forgive me if I repeat myself. I seem to have had a "light bulb" moment yesterday connecting the dry eye issue and dental problems. There may or may not be a connection here but I am interest to see how others respond.

Just prior to my dry eye problems I was having problems with a wisdom tooth and another tooth on my upper right side. Had the wisdom tooth removed and a long involved root canal and crown. (Two crowns on same tooth within short period of time *#@# dentist screwed up) I've also had a root canal and crown on Left upper.

I've always had greater problems with dryness and pain in right eye and to this day the right upper crowned tooth is bothersome.

Here on in I am going to see if my dryness flares up when tooth is bothering me.

As far as sinus issues, I've had them my whole life, due to alergies, so as least for me the sinus-dry eye is probably not connected as my dry eye problems only started in 2004 when the dental things started.
                    Hi Shoemama,
                    I also have problems with a root canal. They had to go back in through the crown and re-try a root canal b/c I had pain for almost 2 years in it. Do you ever think about having the tooth removed to see if that would help the eye pain? I do but I want more reassurance.
                    ~Marya

Comment

My dry mouth problem started right after a root canal. It was one where the dentist went so deep into the gum to shoot me with the numbing meds. For days afterwards i could barely open my mouth and i was in much pain. That side of my face hasnt been the same since as well as the dry mouth. This all was in 07. TO this day I still think something happened. My dentist says it couldnt have caused these problems.
                      I have been on Evoxac ever since to help with the dry mouth.

Comment

Working...
                      X