Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie in Calgary

Hi,

I have not figured out why I all of a sudden developed blepharitis; could be the desert like climate I live in (Calgary, Alberta, Canada); could be medications I take for chronic pain; or it could be peri-menopause. Anyhow, I was advised by my eye doc to use the cleansing pads, take Omega 3's, do a warm compress every morning, add lube drops as often as every hour of the day, etc. I have been good about the drops and the cleansing pads, but not the compresses - what a pain in the arse!!!! I was thinking of ordering the night goggles; I do not think I have this condition as bad as others do, so is getting the night time goggles overkill???? I am sooooooo sick of having burning eyes! I guess I am lazy and think I could get into doing the night goggles more so than doing the warm compresses every morning....would the goggles be helpful if I am not doing the warm compresses? Would I be wasting my money on the goggles if I am not doing the warm compresses? Tx!

Hi, BP.

Nothing is overkill if you have eye discomfort...especially burning.

Definitely make the hot compresses a habit...twice a day. It really can be effective. The nighttime goggles may really help you out. A lot of people on the forum use them and like them.

A humidifier in your bedroom will also help matters. I feel a noticeable difference in the drier months when I use a humidifier.

Diana
    Never play leapfrog with a unicorn.

Comment

Hello Blackpanther, I would also definitely recommend the warm compresses. The rice baggies sold on this website are fantastic. Many of us put a cup of water in the microwave and warm up our rice baggies for 30 to 60 seconds depending on your microwave. You don't want to have this too hot so please be careful if you do this. I use mine once a day right when I first go to bed for five to ten minutes, then I'm done. I know it is a pain in the neck, but sure helps!! Good luck with all. Things will get better!! Hang in there!

Comment

I used to stand bent over at the bathroom sink, holding a folded washcloth soaked in hot water over my eyes. The position and the boredom meant that I only lasted about 2 minutes---not long enough to do any good, I think.

Lately, though, I found a washcloth method that works a lot better. I got a big, plush expensive cloth that really holds the heat, and I lie down and put that over my eyes just before I go to sleep (while listening to the radio). In fact, it is so relaxing, it puts me to sleep! I wait till it cools down (about 15 minutes), and I'm done.

In the morning, I set my alarm clock 15 minutes early and do the same warm compress method. The moisture helps loosen the gel residue (from overnight), and the heat gets my tears and oil glands flowing (I hope). Anyway--it's relaxing---just lie there and listen to the news, weather, and traffic reports.

Calli

Comment

Originally posted by blackpanther
          I guess I am lazy and think I could get into doing the night goggles more so than doing the warm compresses every morning....would the goggles be helpful if I am not doing the warm compresses? Would I be wasting my money on the goggles if I am not doing the warm compresses? Tx!
          I can relate - I like to do as little as i can get away with for my eyes.

The goggles aren't going to help your blepharitis. (Though, IF you're experiencing night or early morning dryness, they may be helpful for giving you more comfortable eyes during the day by keeping things from getting too dried out overnight.) It's great that you're doing the scrubs. So I can only repeat what the others have said... Find a compress method that's as comfortable and low-hassle as possible. My baggy goes in the microwave for 45 seconds at bedtime and I plop it on when I lie down and forget about it.
          Rebecca Petris
          The Dry Eye Foundation
          dryeyefoundation.org
          800-484-0244

Comment

Working...
          X