new member-conflicting diagnoses & questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new member-conflicting diagnoses & questions

Hi there, Very little experience posting like this, so I hope I get it right. I've been visiting the site a lot. My dry eyes started about 2 years ago, almost overnight. My eyes are painfully dry every morning, like sandpaper, and red and irritated. The margins of my upper eyelids are slightly swollen and red. This lingers through the day, esp depending on their state in the morning. I pay close attention to air flows, indoor humidity, computer/TV time, hydration, etc. It started in winter, so I chalked it up to heating/dry air/not drinking enough water. However, it never went away.
    Ophthalmologist #1 said blepharitis. After months of antibiotic gel I had little change. I was uncomfortable using the antibiotic long-term, esp with only marginal improvement. Dr said his only other option was plugs, which I declined. I coped with eyelid care, compresses, lubricant drops.
    Ophthalmologist #2 diagnosed dry eye syndrome using some kind of torturous paper in my eye. This doc told me Restasis was the best thing he had to offer me; no need for plugs. He "couldn't see" any eyelid swelling. I know it's not severe, but it's definitely there. The Restasis has helped a little, but the relief isn't what I was hoping.
    So I don't know exactly why I have this problem, but some days I feel really down about it all and fear that it might get worse as time goes on.
    Thankfully I found this site and Tranquileyes goggles, which are the only thing that make it tolerable. Even with the goggles, heat therapy, restasis, genteal gel, drops, fish and flaxseed oil, and eyelid care, my eyes some mornings are terrible; unbearable if I'm tired enough to fall asleep without putting my tranquileyes on! Most nights I wake up at least once needing eyedrops. I wonder if anything will ever offer real relief.
    I suppose I'm looking for any advice or other's experiences with this kind of dry eye. I'd love to find a doctor in the Philadelphia or Chester County PA area who specializes in dry eye, but so far no luck. I'd also love to hear any updates on people's experience with gluten-free diets and dry eyes. I went wheat-free almost 3 years ago because of severe endometriosis and the difference in my quality of life is amazing. I was able to go off prescription NSAIDS for pain. Now I wonder if all this is connected. I was recently tested for Sjogren's, which was negative.
    Many thanks for reading this far. Any advice and recommendations are very welcome.
    one_small_starr
Working...
X