Not so new member

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not so new member

I am a 32 yr old female. I will tell my full story in My Dry Eye Story, but I have been dealing with the discomfort since late July 2007. I like many, have been an observer of this site than an active participant. I have broken etiquette, and made a few posts. I guess I was hoping that the condition would just go away. I just wanted to say hello, and how much I have learned from this site.

I think it was mentioned before, that sometimes the individuals on this site are those who have been suffering for a while or stumbled upon it, and may not represent the many out there who found a successful treatment for their condition. That being the case, I think their is a lot of reason to have hope, even though sometimes it may be hard. I know how much this condition has affected my life, and just taken a lot of the joy away. Therefore, it definitely is my goal to not leave this site without letting you know that I am better. I have noticed how individuals flock to the posts about someone getting better. I want to give others a reason to have hope that they can get through this.

Thanks to this site, I was introduced to Dr. Latkany, and I did visit him. I told him that I was willing to come back, and he optimistically said that he would be surprised if I had to, and i just need to be patient. So I am optimistic.

Also, I think another reason why I finally gave in to introducing myself on this site is because when I first started feeling bad, I had alot of support from my family and friends. Now it seems like, I can no longer talk about how I am feeling. I look fine, so its like people just want me to get over it. But it is not that easy. I think alot of what I feel is fear, and I need this site to express that, and have hope that I can get through this until it gets better.

Thanks, and I look forward to meeting you all.

TD2007,

Welcome! I think we truly can support one another on this site so much more than we can receive support from our family and friends. They can try to understand, but I don't think anyone can really understand unless they experience the pain, discomfort, inconvenience, etc. I pretty much keep my mouth shut to my husband nowadays, but deep inside I know HE KNOWS that things are bad with my eyes. I just get sick and tired of complaining. If he has the ceiling fan on in the family room, when he leaves the room, sometimes I will tiptoe over and turn off the fan. I'm sure he notices it and may be uncomfortably warm, however, he usually ignores the fact that I've turned it off and life goes on. Now this would sound so trivial to people who don't understand, but the affect of ceiling fans on dry eyes can be incredibly painful!!!! On another note, it sounds like you are on the road to recovery and that is a wonderful thing!! God Bless!!

Comment

Judy,

Thanks for you kind words. I just want to feel "normal" again. This all happened so suddenly, that I still haven't quite adapted to how I feel. I am so used to being able fix my problems, that I am not used to having to deal with something of this nature, and just move on like nothing is wrong.

But I know I have to think positive, and try to live my life normally as possible until I get to a comfortable place with this condition. As part of my condition, Dr. Latkany told me that I have to get allergies under control. The interesting thing is that I never knew I had allergies. But I got tested, and he was right. So I started allergy shots (just today). I do not know the success that members have had with allergy shots, but I think I rather try this alternative than allergy medicine.

But I will keep everyone posted.

Comment

TD,

Well it sure seems you are on the right track, have a great doctor and have all the cyber-support you could possibly need. Your attitude is correct...you will one day find a comfortable place with this maddening condition.

It's interesting to me that you have allergies you didn't know you had. Perhaps you'll be feeling better in a lot of ways, not just your eyes. I know plenty of people who have been greatly helped by allergy shots.

Feel free to complain here any time you like. We totally understand that family and friends with the best intentions still do not understand DES.

Diana
        Never play leapfrog with a unicorn.

Comment

Working...
        X