Long Time Reader, First Time Poster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Long Time Reader, First Time Poster

Well, I had some trouble getting the account working, but now here I am. I plan on being an active participant and when I finally get my eyes back to comfortable (and I will) I am going to make sure I put up my remedy. I am a 33 year old male, I enjoy long walk. . . oh sorry wrong site . I had lasik about 3 years ago, although it seems like yesterday since I am reminded of it, everyday of my life (especially recently).

Right after I had it I knew things weren't right, but the doctors said "blah, blah, blah" and of course I wanted to believe them, so I waited and I waited, and I waited. Finally, I gave up on them and took matters into my own hands. First I got glasses (which the lasik doctors tried to talk me out of). because I just couldn't see great out of my right eye (that is the one that has the most dryness problems). That took me from being miserable from bad vision and dryness, too just dryness.

Tangent: One of the pseudo-lasik doctors told me that my dryness might get better if I got a touch up. It sounds crazy to me and I don't ever plan on letting them touch my eyes again. Has anyone heard of a touch-up making things better?

So now I wear glasses (just like before) and I have pretty much tried most of the things you have probably all tried.

Drops: I try to use them as little as possible, for me using them a lot seems to make things worse and while I can put almost anything in my left eye without pain, everything seems to irritate my right eye (any ideas why this is?). I resisted non-preservative drops for years because of the expense, but now I use refresh (classic) which contains (I think) povidone and p. alchohol. I am also trying Restasis for the 2nd time, but after 5 weeks I am ready to give up again. My doctor says stick with it and I like her, but I am pretty sure I know more about dry eye than she does just because I have spent hours and hours reading about the subject. You know what I am talking about Restasis along with every other drop seems to make it worse. Steroid drops help when used in great moderation.

Nutrition: On the bright side, this problem has probably made me as healthy as I have ever been. Now, I drink nothing, but water (which means I use the restroom a lot). I still smoke some, but less than 2 packs a week and trying to quit. I exercise more. I do take some eye vitamins. I have tried Fish Oil, Bilberry, and Spirulina. I think the Fish Oil supplements probably do help a bit. The other stuff I don't know, but I do seem to have more energy now. I also try to eat a lot more vegtables than I used to.

Routines: I do lid scrubs with baby shampoo. For warm compresses I use a gel mask (unheated) and I put a slightly damp wash cloth over that and top it all off with a hot/warm rice baggy (or in my case a corn baggy, same thing as rice because this corn doesn't pop, but the smell of popcorn gets annoying, so I am probably going to switch). This method does seem to help and is very relaxing as the cool gel mask slowly gets warm. If anyone would like to refine this and start selling the method to the millions of current and future dry eye sufferers, let me know (Gotta laugh to keep from crying, right?)

I also just got the Dry Eye Remedy book and I like it. Overall, days are good and days are bad, but I am always aware of the problem. I do have hope because actually last year at this time things were much better, but over the summer it started to get bad again. I think it is more work on the computer, which I believe makes things much, much worse (yes, I use the blinkers and I like them, but you start to become oblivious of them, and they lose some usefulness). I enjoy the computer, TV, and video games. This has caused me to move away from much of that stuff. Once again, probably a good thing, but I do hate this problem.

I just read the olive oil post and I love how we have all become human guinea pigs. Some days I would put almost anything in my eye because I often want to poke it out anyway, just to make the pain go. But, then I just remind myself that some people have problems that are much, much worse. But, it is a life changing problem and unfortunately most people around you will never understand what you are going through. I try to bring it up as little as possible around my family, but for the most part they are kind about it, but I know they do not fathom the uncomfort it can cause.

And that is why I come here, because you all get it. (gotta go buy some olive oil now).

Another thing I almost forgot and something I have not read about before. It sounds weird, but I started noticing that while I was eating meals my eyes didn't hurt as much. So I have started eating a hot of sour and hot candy. I am trying to find some good sugar free kinds now. Is there some connection between my saliva and tears that I don't know about or is the taste just taking my mind off my eyes?
    Last edited by Filazafer; 19-Dec-2007, 08:27. Reason: Corrections

Hi Fila,

Glad to have you here---dryeyezone has helped me greatly. I haven't had Lasik, but many here have, and many of the dry eye discussions apply to everybody. We're all learning more each day.

My dry eyes are caused by an auto-immune condition (just found out this year), but they're SO much better now than when this all started for me (2003). Like you, I'll try just about anything in the way of drops, treatments, supplements, prescriptions....and of course, "self experiments" (not very successful). Restasis doesn't work for me. I still have 2 unopened boxes, which, because of the cost, are always tempting me to "try again." I think I'm finally done with that, though.

A warm welcome,

Calli

Comment

Welcome!

I responded in another forum to your eating/saliva tear production. I know there's a connection.

Glad you found us. It's nice to hang with people who get it. I've explained my situation to some people over an over, and there just really isn't any getting through. Can't tell you how many times I've had to explain why I have to blot my cauterized, weepy, burning eyes, and yet I claim to be have dry eyes. Admittedly, it doesn't make a lot of sense to me either.

Anyway, great to have you on board.

Diana
      Never play leapfrog with a unicorn.

Comment

Hello

Welcome.
        I am amused with your tale of how you are probably healthier now than ever! I too take a load of these supplements and now I can't remember the last time I had a serious cold.
        I too have been using Restasis, probably incorrectly - I seem to be getting the burning issue which click in a while after installation.
        Best of luck - I think the hard part is coping with re-occurences during treatment, its crushing to still be in pain when you are doing everything to help.
        Regards.
        Occupation - Optimistologist

Comment

So sorry

I had lasik in 2002 and have been in serious pain ever since. Mostly just in my right eye. It's amazing to me that lasik surgery is still allowed. I wish with all my heart that I had never had it but as my mother used to say, "If wishes were horses, beggars would ride." Let's all stick together. At least it sounds like you have the right attitude.

Jody

Comment

Working...
          X