New Poster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Poster

I have read many of the posts and I decided that I should introduce myself. I am a 22 year old college student with dry eye. I have worn contacts for 8 years and then one day it just started. I have been symptomatic for six months now, and have been out of contacts for 4 months. Far sighted +2.25 and +3.75, astigmatism, no lasik or eye surgeries, a few floaters.

I have been keeping all of my bottles of eye drops in hopes that one day when I beat this thing, I can put them in a shadow box frame on my wall such that I see it every time that I leave my room. I think that this dry eye has changed me, you learn to appreciate the good days, and if the bad days ever become a thing of the past, I never want to take my eyes feeling good for granted. No one who ever looks at my wall and sees this frame full of eye drops will understand, but that really doesn't matter.

I appreciate everyone who posts. I have found a lot of great information, and when attending the doctor, I think they are amazed at my research into this topic thanks to all the information on this site.

Welcome, TC.

I have a special place in my heart for young people with dry eye. How do you manage with the reading load of college? What treatments have you tried.

We need more info...and yes, we sure want you to beat this thing, too.

Diana
    Never play leapfrog with a unicorn.

Comment

Hi TC,

Welcome to Dry Eye Talk. I'm sorry to hear of your problems though. It is good that you are researching things so you can be prepared in doctors appts. Many of the things I have tried over the years have been things that I have suggested to my doctor. Hopefully you will find something soon that helps improve your symptoms.

You mentioned eye drop bottles. Just curious if you are using drops with preservatives in them? If you use eye drops several times a day, it might be worth trying a preservative free drop. Just a thought since some people improve when they cut out the preservatives.

-Shells

Comment

I have yet to attend college with my dry eye. I have been doing an internship and I start my first day of college tomorrow since my dry eye symptoms have started. I am learning to manage my dry eye pretty well. I have been using the genteal product line for treating them. The greatest thing thus far has been the genteal PM ointment(I put this in the eye and rub some around the eyelids). That has improved my eyes greatly. I would wake up in the morning with burning eyes and since I have started putting the ointment in my eyes at night, my mornings and they rest of the day go much better. The prescriptions that I have been on are Zylet, Pataday, Tobradex, and Pred Forte. I think my condition is more of an eyelid problem. My eyes are not red and I don't have any discharge in the mornings which kind of baffles me. I describe the pain to others as a dull slightly burning pain in the lower eyelids. For others to relate, I compare it to a headache. Some days it is like having a small headache all day, other days it is like a bad head ache, that you just really don't want to do much. I will look in the mirror and see crystal white eyes, but the pain is still there. When I see the doctors, they tell me that I have swollen eyelids and mild MGD. The doctors have told me that is chronic allergic conjunctivitis and another said they thought it was just dry eyes. I went to an ophthalmologist last week who really didn't give me any good answers. The doctors (three of them thus far) say that the surface of my eyes looks good. The schrimer scores were 15 mm right and 7 mm left under anesthesia. I would like to go on tetracycline, which I was on a few years ago for cystic acne. I have done almost all of the treatments out there that are over the counter, lid scrubs with baby shampoo, tranquileyes, humidifiers, lid massages, and rice baggies. I have had two good days in a row, I'm hoping it might turn into a streak ! Also I try to eat fish once a week for the omega fatty acids, eat baby carrots for snacks to get the vitamin A, and drinking plenty of water. Thanks for all of your concerns, I really appreciate all the time that people put into posting on here.

Comment

you learn to appreciate the good days, and if the bad days ever become a thing of the past, I never want to take my eyes feeling good for granted. No one who ever looks at my wall and sees this frame full of eye drops will understand, but that really doesn't matter.
          wow very true, exactly what I keep thinking.

welcome to the site, hope it gives you some more ideas.
          just keep swimming...

Comment

Working...
          X