Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello from MyDryEyes

Hi All,

I have been browsing this blog for the last couple of weeks, but have yet to properly introduce myself. I am suffering from a pretty severe case of dry eyes due to PRK I had 6 months ago. I was fine at months 1 through 4, but always very dependent on the eye drops for comfort. About 1 month ago I started having real issues. I am terrified from what I have learned on this website that my condition is permanent.

My prescription in contacts was -10.00 in my right eye and -10.25 in my left eye. I was NEVER informed by my eye doctor or surgeon about the risk of dry eye, especially with my high prescription. I was convinced that I had the best surgeon and eye doctor (who supposedly is highly recommended for my area). Somehow, I completely missed DES in my research. I am trying really hard not to blame myself for what is happening.

Everything that I love to do has been greatly diminished. I am currently having a hard time getting through 8 hours at work (in front of a computer). I am sensitive to wind - it is hard to get outdoors and running and skiing for me have always been my greatest stress relief. Reading and watching TV are difficult as well. I am 32 and was really looking forward to having kids in a couple of years. Even that seems out of reach at this point.

Eye drops, eye drops, eye drops are my life. I have been on Systane since the surgery, but have grown intolerant of them. The eye doctor switched me to Thera Tears, but those don't feel right at all when I put them in. He also has me on another round of Lotemax and an anti-biotic ointment (he thinks I may have a bacterial infection that is increasing the dryness). I put so much gunk in my eyes, no wonder they never feel good!! I am also using Tranquileyes (a blessing!!) at night and I shopping around for Panoptx (I am having a hard time finding a pair that fit my face right). The onion goggles are getting me through for now.

Any words of encouragement you have for me would be helpful. Thanks!!

Hi MyDryEyes,

Welcome to dry eye talk, so sorry you have to be here though. First off you are right to try not to blame yourself. Right now, you just need to focus on treating your eyes, and having regret or blaming yourself for your PRK will only make matters worse. I know it is easier said then done, but you will learn to forgive yourself in time (I have - it's been two and a half years since my lasik). Please don't think that your condition is permanent just because of what you read on this site. It really is true that almost everyone with dry eye from refractive surgery goes on to feel MUCH MUCH better. Unfortunately not everyone comes back to post about it. Most of the people still posting on the websites are the ones that are still searching for answers. And even those of us whose eyes don't get alot better, find better ways to manage our eyes, and learn to enjoy life much more even with dry eye.

You are actually still very early in healing, especially for such high myopia, so there is plenty of time for your eyes to improve. You mentioned Panoptyx, and I have a feeling they will help you alot with your outdoor activites. If you can't find a pair that fit just right, there are other brands out there, Harley Davidson and Wiley-X are some that people have posted about in the past. I have a small face, and found a pair of Harley Davidson's that fit pretty well. Hopefully a good fitting pair of moisture chambers will allow you to get outdoors more and participate in the activities you enjoy. It really helps if you can find something to keep your mind off your eyes for a while. In the meantime, hang in there and take good care of yourself.

-Shells

Comment

Hi MyDryEyes

I can totally relate to what you are saying! I'm 26 and have had a really tough time handling my eyes during the last few years! Life seems so hard, and I'm scared of going ahead with my career or studies due to DES!

Life's a battle with DES, definitely, but I'm not going to give up! I'm on Restasis since 2006, but have finally reduced it, and I'm trying to get off of it! Have all my plugs closed, the upper ones are cauterized, the lower with the plugs! I'm doing much better than 2 years ago, but It's still not easy!
      planning to get on with Freshkote, rather than restasis, cos who knows what sideaffects restasis will cause, scared about eyecancer etc.!!

Let's pray and hope that something new will give us relief! Take care to all of ya

Sha

Comment

Don't give up the fight until you have exhausted every possible treatment option. Have you tried punctum plugs? For some, they actually solve the problem. If you haven't gone down that avenue yet then you are no where near what is possible for relief. If one doctor is not helping you, move to the next and the next until someone can help you get relief. We have several on this site who specialize in MS. Many travel to see these doct

Comment

I just had lasik done on 12/28/07 and have been suffering from dry eyes and extreme irritation since. I started with refresh tears, then moved to Bion tears, then systane. Plus, I ordered the drops from dry eye - Dakama and the B12 one. I was using each one throughout the day (every 30 mins) to get relief. Also started resystasis, but it irritated me. I had such inflammation and burning from all. I finally got a pair of the night moisture goggles last week. I also started taking 4 tablespoons daily of Barleens flaxseed oil. I decided to stop all drops except a homopathic one, similasian and use the night goggles. Don't know if it's too early to say, I'm cured,. But all my inflammation and irritation has stopped. I feel tired and a my eyes are slightly blurry, but I feel like I've turned a corner. I also found a website called 'DELETED that lists other homepathic eye drops - one especially for lasik. So I'm going to try those also.
          Last edited by Rebecca Petris; 20-Jan-2008, 07:59. Reason: COMMERCIAL LINK

Comment

Hi C. Little-

But all my inflammation and irritation has stopped. I feel tired and a my eyes are slightly blurry, but I feel like I've turned a corner. I also found a website called DELETED BY MODERATOR that lists other homepathic eye drops - one especially for lasik. So I'm going to try those also.
            I hope all your inflammation and irritation have stopped, but 3 weeks post-op is really fast for PRK. I think it would be wise to still keep your eyes moisturized (maybe 4 x day) for a bit to make sure you're really healed. Since you are so new post-op, please research drops you will be using in your newly lasered/bladed eyes. Good luck and a little caution can help. Lucy
            Last edited by Rebecca Petris; 20-Jan-2008, 07:59. Reason: Commercial link in quoted text
            Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Originally posted by MyDryEyes View Post
              Eye drops, eye drops, eye drops are my life. I have been on Systane since the surgery, but have grown intolerant of them. The eye doctor switched me to Thera Tears, but those don't feel right at all when I put them in.
              MyDryEyes: You didn't say whether you are using preservative-free, single-use vials or regular bottled drops. However, since you developed sensitivity to Systane, you may have similar reactions to other preserved drops from the drugstore.

If you want to stick with multi-use bottled drops, you might try one of Doc Holly's drops (NutraTear, Dakrina or Dwelle). I am very sensitive to preservatives, but these use a different chemical that is quite comfortable for me. Some people have reported success with drops that use a newer preservative marketed under the brand name "Purite." I think Optive uses this preservative and the Refresh line has been reformulated with it.

You can also rule out preservatives as a problem completely by purchasing single-use, preservative-free vials. Bion Tears, TheraTears, Tears Naturale and others come in this packaging. It's more expensive, but you can reduce the cost by opening a vial in the morning, storing it with the open end up in a shot glass in the refrigerator (or in the pouch sold in the DryEye Store for carrying chilled drops with you), then tossing the vial out at night before you go to bed.

Terri

Comment

Chicken Little:

Your two posts contained a link to a purely commercial adsense-type website with advertising for everything from lasik to acid reflux. I saw no information there whatsoever about homeopathic eyedrops. If that was accidental, you can email or private message me to explain and I will consider re-activating your membership.

Everybody else:

We're getting a lot more spammy posts lately and they are sometimes very subtle. Please be on the alert and use the "Report bad post" button if you see anything suspicious. Thanks.
                Rebecca Petris
                The Dry Eye Foundation
                dryeyefoundation.org
                800-484-0244

Comment

Working...
                X