Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Introduction from UK. Tired morning eyes...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Introduction from UK. Tired morning eyes...

Hello,

I am a 25 year old office worker from the UK.

I have suffered from dry eyes for many year but have managed to tame it somewhat over the last few years using drops, gel, and omega 3 supplements. I also found that sometimes at the computer I didn't blink for a good while, so I've tried to do something about that too. I've also increased time spent sleep which has helped.

However, I still have good days and bad days.

What's bothering me is that my eyes are already yellowish around the edges and with little red veins when I wake up in the morning. Surely if I was sleep with my eyes properly shut this wouldn't be the case? I have also noticed that if I drink alcohol at night (I only drink one night a week at most) then my eyes are much worse than usual in the morning. In fact, if I have a few beers on a Friday night my eyes are at their worst when I wake up and then get better through the day.

I intend to buy some micropore tape and stick them shut and then depending on the results of this I may invest in some Tranquil Eyes.

So my questions are:

1. When taping eyes is it just a case of closing the lid and taping it shut, easy as that?

2. Given the informatin I have supplied, any other advice people can give me would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Originally posted by elusiveMUSE View Post
    Hello,

I am a 25 year old office worker from the UK.

I have suffered from dry eyes for many year but have managed to tame it somewhat over the last few years using drops, gel, and omega 3 supplements. I also found that sometimes at the computer I didn't blink for a good while, so I've tried to do something about that too. I've also increased time spent sleep which has helped.

However, I still have good days and bad days.

What's bothering me is that my eyes are already yellowish around the edges and with little red veins when I wake up in the morning. Surely if I was sleep with my eyes properly shut this wouldn't be the case? I have also noticed that if I drink alcohol at night (I only drink one night a week at most) then my eyes are much worse than usual in the morning. In fact, if I have a few beers on a Friday night my eyes are at their worst when I wake up and then get better through the day.

I intend to buy some micropore tape and stick them shut and then depending on the results of this I may invest in some Tranquil Eyes.

So my questions are:

1. When taping eyes is it just a case of closing the lid and taping it shut, easy as that?

2. Given the informatin I have supplied, any other advice people can give me would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

i onestly don't think this is the problem....ask a good doctor if you have blepharitis that usually gives problems when waking...that discharge and dryness might be caused by that.....Ciao! ....tranquileyes or an airlane mask is always good
    alchol does make eyes more dry .....not permanently unless you drink every night !

Comment

Hello, I have problems overnight with drying, but I don't wake up with red eyes or anything, just really sore ones if I'm unlucky and it's a bad day and I think I have Bleph, that's about the only thing I do pretty much have nailed down right now... Does sound like you need to get a good doc and check it out though, I agree!

On taping etc, maybe try both, get the tranquileyes and some tape and try each separately for a week or so? I'm alternating between tranquileyes and a mask now, since last week, as I'm finding if I'm having a bad time right at the moment, so I tried tape as maybe the tranquileyes don't keep my eyes closed enough. Perhaps I move too much when I sleep. So then I think I need the mask and tape - I'm new to trying the tape but I sleep much longer when I use it. I just sort of put it on my lid and tape it just under on my cheek. I don't use much. Then when I wake up I squeeze in drops still in the sides. I wake up still 2-3 times a night, but more on a really bad day and with the tranquileyes - but they're nice too with the moisture....I'm probably going to try them with tape, though that sounds weird, but then I'll get the best of both worlds maybe.

sorry, sure this doesn't make much sense...
      just keep swimming...

Comment

Hi there and welcome. Sounds like you've taken a lot of very sensible practical steps for your eyes which is great.

Regarding drinking... yes it's a problem, some people even find that they don't see the impact till a day or two later. Have you tried drinking more water on the evenings when you drink - this can help mitigate the drying effect. Sounds like paying special attention to night-time coverage on those nights would be a good idea.

Originally posted by elusiveMUSE View Post
        The first time I tried taping i found it quite a challenge actually. I needed a fairly wide tape and I had to use two pieces in a sort of X across my lids. There are some good posts here by regular 'tapers' though with a description of other methods and may even be a picture or two. Check for posts by Prattstar (Ian, another member from the UK).
        Rebecca Petris
        The Dry Eye Foundation
        dryeyefoundation.org
        800-484-0244

Comment

Thanks for the replies everyone!

Originally posted by Rebecca Petris View Post
          Sounds like you've taken a lot of very sensible practical steps for your eyes which is great.
          Yes, thinking back to to when my eyes were at their worst I don't how I ever managed to do get through a day at work! That said, there's still a lot of room for improvement, my eyes are still often sore by the end of the day and I don't think I can even remember what it's like to have white eyeballs

Originally posted by Rebecca Petris View Post
          Regarding drinking... yes it's a problem, some people even find that they don't see the impact till a day or two later. Have you tried drinking more water on the evenings when you drink - this can help mitigate the drying effect.
          To be honest I don't think I could any more water than I already do. I only drink tea and water, and I reckon I must get through 10 or so pints in a day on average (water that is, tea is much more )

I had a go at taping last night and I can't say I noticed much difference this morning or today... Should I expect immediate effects or does it take time? I'm going for a few beers on Saturday so that should be a real test.

Comment

I cant say that I have noticed alcohol having a seriously adverse affect on dry eyes.... unless of course you are drinking heavily on a daily basis....then dehydration would surely be an issue (not sure if that relates directly to dry eyes though).

A few beers will not have any effect...and the relaxation and normality of this surely outweighs any benefit from total abstinence......as I know from

when I first got dry eyes ... I obviously tried everything ... including extremely restictive diets and no alcohol for years on end...and never noticed any improvement...

I drink red wine now a couple of nights a week and experience no increase in dry eyes because of this....if anything I find the relaxation seems to improve symptoms and sanity!

Comment

Right, taping my eyes shut made very little difference even with alcohol comsumption, so I guess I'm not sleeping with my eyes open and something else must be the problem.

Is it still worth me investing in Tranquil Eyes?

Comment

I think you have to put something on your eyes at night, just to stop more evaporation - anything - even just a sleep mask would be better than nothing, but you'll have to give it about 1-2 weeks before you'll see a difference, took me 2 weeks with tranquileyes as they had to heal before they felt a bit better.
                just keep swimming...

Comment

Right, I'll get myself an eye mask and see how that goes for a couple of weeks.

Should I get one of the ones that rests on the eye lids or try and get one with foam so it don't rest on the lids?

Comment

I agree with Stanza that you should add drops to your eyes before putting on the mask. I started seeing benefits from Tranquileyes almost immediately, but when I added a single drop of Dwelle before putting on the goggles, my eyes improved dramatically. I tried other drops and gels before that, but none worked the way Dwelle does.

Comment

Working...
                    X