Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Introduction - Dry eyes at night

Hello everyone,

I'm so glad I found this website, I wish I had found it sooner, it would have saved me a lot of time, effort and money. Anyway, here's my story:

I'm 25 years old, and grew up living in Missouri. I started wearing contacts around age 18, and didn't have any dry eye problems until I joined the Army at 23. My troubles started when I was sent to El Paso,Texas (Fort Bliss), which can be described as hell-on-earth for you eyeballs. El Paso is the worst of all worlds: high altitude, dry, desert, windy, hot climate. A few months after I got there (my problems started in winter), I noticed my eyes were getting very dry at night, but were still ok during the day. My situation degraded to the point that I had to stop wearing contacts. I went to an optometrist to figure out what was happening, and he demonstrated how to do an eyelid massage and said that my tear glands were clogged. I really didn't put too much stock in what he said (If I only knew then what I know now) and didn't do the eyelid massages. Soon spring arrived and I turned on the evaporative cooler in my house, and the relative humidity in my house at night time got much, much higher and my dry eye condition improved.

This winter (my second winter with night time dry eye issue), I was sent to South Korea which is very moist, but still very cold in the winter. My night time dry eye condition had returned by this point, and I resolved to become very pro-active about my situation. I ordered some occusoft lid scrub, and a set of tranquileyes goggles. I half heartedly started doing lid scrubs in the shower and tried wearing the goggles once in a while at night. My condition started to improve, but I went to the optometrist in Korea who prescribed me an eye ointment (like vaseline for the eyes) to use at night. He didn't seem nearly as knowledgeable, nor concerned about my dry eye problems as my optometrist back in el paso. After I started using this 'gel', my condition got worse again.

I was desperate at this point, and I started my search for information that ultimately led me to this website. I am now beginning to do compresses/massages/lid scrubs 4 times a day and I am going to try not using the eye gel at night and see what happens. I have an eye spa mask and some specialized vitamin supplements on the way to help with my new treatment strategy. I have already noticed a significant improvement in my moisture levels in the past few days. I believe that my glands got all screwed up in the desert, and as soon as I get them cleaned up and straightened out my problems will disappear. This website is fantastic and I wish I had found it sooner, I will keep everyone updated on my condition.

Chevy Nick: Welcome! It sounds like you are already on the right track with your approach. I couldn't tell if you discontinued the vaseline-like ointment that the S. Korean doc recommended but, if not, I would recommend you not use it. I used similar ointments at night (Lacrilube and Refresh PM) for many months, and they made my eyes worse, not better.

You might see if you can get a sample of Dwelle from the Dry Eye Store. I've had spectacular results from using one drop of Dwelle at night before I put on my Tranquileyes. I also live in a desert, and using Dwelle at night has minimized my need for additional drops or other countermeasures (like humidifiers) during the day. I still wear protective goggles when I'm in windy conditions or exercising outdoors but, other than that, I'm good to go.

Terri

Comment

Hi Chevy Nick:
      First, a big thanks for serving our country! Second, we're glad you joined this forum.

Terri gave you good advice about Dwelle. I couldn't tell if you're still in the service or not by reading your post. It's very late and my eyes are junk.

The only thing I can add at this time is 4 x day scrub sounds a bit much. If you're still doing that, you might lower it to morning and night. Please keep us advised. Lucy
      Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

updates can be found at this thread: http://www.dryeyezone.com/talk/showthread.php?p=27258

Comment

Thanks for the link, Nick.
          Lucy
          Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Working...
          X