No tears, post-lasik, very scared

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No tears, post-lasik, very scared

I'm 8 weeks post-lasik and am having a severe bout of dry eye. Really, really bad. I was okay for a while, and then got it got bad again after going back on pred-forte. Doc. perscribed it for some headache and vision fluctuations.

I really scared right now b/c I literally don't think I'm making any tears at all. I can hear each blink, pulling noses hairs doesn't even get a response, and getting water from the shower in my eyes is painful!

I called with concerns and they put me on a heavier ointment at night. But this is really scary. I don't think I could conjure up a tear if I tried. Any thoughts for me?? I'm going to call again first thing in the morning -- i feel like this way beyond normal. They haven't done any dry eye testing since surgery.

Thanks for your feedback -- soon hopefully!

lboggie

Call your surgeon and get in immediately. I have been in your shoes and it is no fun.

They need to check your eyes and perhaps insert punctal plugs to conserve whatever tears you are producing.

Insist that they check that your Meibomian Glands are functioning so that your tears are not evaporating too quickly. You can read alot about "MGD" on this sight. To test them, my MD used something that looked like a thin chopstick, rolled up my eyelids and pressed, HARD, to see if these glands were clogged. There are several methods for treating this.

If necessary, you might need to start on restasis. You should also know that steroids are very drying.

Insist they get you in right away.

I am so sorry for what you are going through. It is scary but you can come through it. And keep using non-preserved tears. A lot!!

Natalie

Comment

I went in and he said I had dry spotting near the bottom of my eyes...so I really need to use the ointment at night b/c my eyes probably aren't closing. So I've been doing that.

I slept with the tranquileyes last night, and didn't wake up with "refreshed" looking eyes.......if anything I looked more puffy and tired. Am I doing something wrong?

I've also switched to thera tears liquid gel (preservative free) to give me some longer lasting comfort. Doc thinks once per hour on the drops is all I should be doing. He didn't want to give me puntcal plugs just yet.

It also feels sometimes like the dryness is going all the way around the back of my eyeballs.......crazy. I've been consumed with depression and fear and embarassment over my reaction to lasik. Do I still have hope that in another 4-6 months that I will feel better?

Comment

Keep going with the tranquileyes, it takes some time for these treatments to work, and they're not cures, they just help. There's damage to heal and it doesn't happen over-night. Sadly. Keep going and keep reading on here.
        just keep swimming...

Comment

There is plenty of hope, lboggie. You are very, very early yet. There's a lot of healing to be done. Get a nice humidifier in your room, and keep up with the Tranquileyes. Take good care of yourself and try to relax. Things will get better for you.
          Never play leapfrog with a unicorn.

Comment

Working...
          X