Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hello

Hi everyone

I am in my mid 20s and have been wearing glasses/contacts for over 10 years now. Recently, I've been thinking of getting PRK laser surgery. PRK because I play alot of contact sports, and also because I heard that dry eyes are less likely with PRK than LASIK.

When I am wearing glasses, my eyes are perfectly fine. No dryness, no discomfort, but when I wear contacts, I always get dry eyes and it gets very uncomfortable. I was wondering if this is a sign that I would have dry eyes after getting PRK as well?

Thanks.

Yes, it is likely your eyes are dry, and that would make you a poor candidate for refractive surgery. Contact lens intolerance is a major Red Flag, so please don't ignore it. I too, am comfortable wearing glasses (but not contacts)---my eyes are very dry---little or no tear production.

If you read enough posts from various people here who have had the surgery, you will see that for those who had pre-existing dry eyes, the results were disastrous, leaving the person with a debilitating condition.

Please reconsider your options and try not to be swayed by a willing surgeon and your own dreams of A Life Without Glasses.

Calli

Comment

Ditto Calli. I know many people who have debilitating dry eye post-refractive surgery. Many of these didn't even have any prior signs of dry eye. Surgery isn't a safe route for anybody.
      Never play leapfrog with a unicorn.

Comment

Originally posted by mojojo888 View Post
        but when I wear contacts, I always get dry eyes and it gets very uncomfortable.
        I used to be that way as well, until in a very short period of time it all went down hill (didn't have surgery though). I would be thankful you aren't worse and don't do anything to endanger that freedom. I work out a lot and used to play basketball...things much easier done in contacts, now I would be elated to be able to do any of that comfortable in glasses.

my .02

Comment

I understand your situation as I was and I suppose am in exactly the same position...although my eyes are also dry even with glasses.

Some Drs told me that PRK or even Lasik was preferable to wearing contact lenses.

However after seeing about 6 different lasik consultants over about 3 years, I decided that my eyes were too dry to risk it. After all, I can cope now...but if they got any drier I would be in real problems.

Out of the 6 consultants who I saw...5 were happy to risk it with me. It was only the last one who told me what I was waiting to hear...that it was far too risky.

I am now glad that I didnt go ahead, even though I would of course love the benefit of a glasses/contact free life.

Everyone is different and it is unquestionable that a high percentage of people have enjoyed good results from lasik/PRK.. but the consequences are so much worse for the minority for whom it is a nightmare....and the refractive surgeons/companies just never make this clear to people.

Comment

Definitely no, no, no. The only people who should consider it are youngsters with a low uncomplicated prescription and 100% contact lenses tolerance - ie 16 hours a day with no dryness at all. You may never have 20/20 again (or a pain-free day) if you go on this route. Consider trying some of the new types of lenses for dry eyes - Proclear, Air Optix...lots of posts on these. The daily high water ones opticians recommend aren't always the best.

Comment

Thanks for the replies everyone. I went to see my optometrist recently for an eye exam. I had my eyes checked for dryness but the doctor did not find any problems at all (my tear production was good and my lipid layer had no problems).

She tells me that my dry eye problem when wearing contacts could be because of my brand of contact lens + the environment. If this is the case, does that still mean it would be a bad choice for me to do laser eye, given that there is actually nothing wrong with my eyes?

Comment

Thanks for the replies everyone. I went to see my optometrist recently for an eye exam. I had my eyes checked for dryness but the doctor did not find any problems at all (my tear production was good and my lipid layer had no problems).

She tells me that my dry eye problem when wearing contacts could be because of my brand of contact lens + the environment. If this is the case, does that still mean it would be a bad choice for me to do laser eye, given that there is actually nothing wrong with my eyes?
                Mojo, no one can guarantee whether you WILL or WILL NOT have dry eyes after surgery, including your doctor. As to whether it would be a bad choice to have refractive surgery, there are several on this thread (including me) that it's not worth the risk. "Bad choice" or not is yours to risk or not. We already made the choice and are advising you of our outcome. You, on the other hand, could have RS and do quite well, but apparently you are doing research and asking questions about it. This is a good thing. Back when some of us had the surgery, there wasn't any info available. That's not the case now.

The doctor (surgeon and optician if involved in referral) have a definite interest in you having refractive surgery. It's called money. Period. This is how they make their living. If they don't sell their service, their bank account gets a bit low. I paid my doc $4,400 cash upfront before surgery. He really didn't risk a thing. I sure did, and have been sorry ever since.
                Lucy
                Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Working...
                X