X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Meibomian gland dysfunction

Hello
    Great site, found out lots of tips.
    I was diagnosed by an eye consultant yesterday with maebomitis. I have had symptoms for over 10 years; I used to get an attack a couple of times a year. Recently the attacks have become weekly so was refereed to a consultant.
    My symptoms were that my eyes were extremely light sensitive. My eyes felt hot and sentive I felt very tried I’m sure that was because the pain is so bad it makes you feel anxious. My left eye becomes very blurred and I don’t get full sight for several days after.
    I asked about makeup and was told that shouldn’t make a difference. This is good because I am rather vain!!!?
    Computers do make the eyes feel strained but its my job and have to put up with it. Any tips on this would be very welcome.
    Can anyone share how they manage this condition?

Chrisie

welcome, this is a wonderful forum with so many great ideas.
    Last edited by Rory; 06-Feb-2008, 03:31.

Comment

Hi Chrisie and welcome!

I'm glad (well, not quite the right word...) to hear you finally got the meibomitis diagnosis - treating things properly starts with finding out what the real problem is after all and this one often goes overlooked for long periods. And symptoms do vary a lot with dry eye.

I would not be quick to discount makeup as a contributor to eye problems though!!! Many here will tell you just the opposite from long experience. As a minimum you may want to look into the most eye-friendly makeup types.

For general tips... well, keep on scouring the forums, there's lots here. On computers etc, we have a forum on Workplace. Good lubrication, blinking frequently, humidifier if possible, protective eyewear if possible, regular breaks; all these can help.

p.s. Rory... if you can't find something nice to say, there's no point volunteering for the welcoming committee
      Rebecca Petris
      The Dry Eye Foundation
      dryeyefoundation.org
      800-484-0244

Comment

make-up REMOVER counts, too

This is an ideal context in which to throw in that make-up removers, as well as make-ups, may potentially affect meibomian function.

When I could still wear mascara, I always wore the long-lasting kind that could only be removed with oil-based cleansers. . .And so for decades, I removed the make-up nightly with heavy cold cream or vaseline. . .Now, I will always wonder whether the thick petrolatum-based cleansers ultimately got stuffed down my meibomian glands, damaging and inflaming them. . .

I have never seen any real science addressing the question of whether petrolatum-based cleansers can block/damage/inflame meibomians. . .but one doctor I really respect once told me that when he was studying lipid replacement therapies for meibomian gland dysfunction (MGD), he conducted an experiment that convinced him that some oils that might be useful on the ocular surface might, unfortunately, damage the eyelid/meibomian glands. . .Just a second-hand report. . .but one I've heeded. . .

And so it may be a good idea to be selective not only with the make-up, but also with the REMOVER. . .

Hope that helps. . .
        <Doggedly Determined>

Comment

Originally posted by Rory View Post
          Take everything that your Dr says with a pinch of salt.....

that is all i can advise after 15 years of rubbish from very well regarded opthalmologists.

I often wish i had asked my postmen what to do instead of my eye Drs..

Rory
          Try treating it with diet.
          Which is it? Is it what you know or who you know? Or is it how well you convey what you know to who you know it to?

-Tim

Comment

Hiya Roj!
            Very interesting point about the makeup remover. I've used the oil-free stuff for years (various kinds). I don't know if they have contributed in any way to my dry eye problems. In your vast research archives, , have you come up with any info about the oil-free varieties and which ones are OK (if any)?
            I haven't been wearing any makeup this week at all, since I've just been home in bed coughing, but my eyes look terrible.
            Interestingly, though, I've been good about keeping up with the Doxycylline for a whole week now and I actually have seen an improvement. Although my eyes LOOK horrible from being sick, I've actually noticed that I've been using much less drops this week. It's particularly noticable when I wake up...normally I can't open my eyes without putting some drops in, but I actually didn't have to do that this morning (they were still dry but I could open them). It's only been a week, but the Doxy looks promising.

Comment

Thank you

Thank you for all your replies.

Great advice on the remover. Although I do normally wear non water proof one and just use cleansing cloths to take makeup off. Ill better check they are ok, although they don’t seem to aggravate.
              Does anyone else suffer from light sensitivity? That’s my biggest problem. I have my sunglasses with me in my bag all the time just in case the eyes go, I don’t ever drive without them.
              I’m sure now I know what i have It will be easy to mange at least there isn’t anything wrong with my eyes, that would be worse I’m sure.
              Chrisie

Comment

Yes. Big-time light sensitivity here. And it's common with Dry Eye.

Comment

Interesting point about the light sensitivity.

I am upset and frustrated with my opticians who don't seem to understand that it is a real condition and very bothersome. One told me that well, if I have to squint my eyes, than so be it. What kind of an answer is that?????

So, I have sunglasses, but they don't really help. I'd prefer something darker, but keep hearing that this is not possible......but funnily enough, what I see as being sold over the counter is much darker than what I have gotten.....so I don't understand completely what the problem is here.

I also would really like to know how everyone else is dealing with the light sensitivity, as it is bothering me more and more, especially during "bright" days.

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by toguchi View Post
                    One told me that well, if I have to squint my eyes, than so be it. What kind of an answer is that?????
                    About on a par with the some of our UK members who have been told by their doctors "Well, you just don't make tears any more and that's all there is to it. Learn to live with it." Irresponsible, medically unjustifiable advice.

So, I have sunglasses, but they don't really help. I'd prefer something darker, but keep hearing that this is not possible......but funnily enough, what I see as being sold over the counter is much darker than what I have gotten.....so I don't understand completely what the problem is here.
                    This is where wraparound eyewear like Panoptx or Wiley-X has a major edge because it is not only a pair of sunglasses but also has the eyecup filling the space between the frame and face - so you block peripheral light as well, which for some people with severe photophobia can make all the difference.

Regarding darker lenses: The higher end lenses often aren't nearly as dark as the cheaper ones. You'll notice this with Panoptx too - the cheapest type of lens they offer is their darkest, while the polarized does not filter out as much light. So for example, a lot of Panoptx users I know will use the light-adjusting lenses for indoors or dark days/evenings and the baseline lenses for outdoor use on bright days.

However, UV protection is another matter... best to find a good optician and talk to them about the differences to be clear.
                    Rebecca Petris
                    The Dry Eye Foundation
                    dryeyefoundation.org
                    800-484-0244

Comment

Good sunglasses for light sensitivity?

You might try polarized lenses - they do seem to help with glare. I have trouble with light coming in from the top and the sides of most sunglasses. "Wrap arounds" are better for that but all the ones I've tried are not optically correct (even when they say they are). Some sort of attachment to block light entry on the sides and top would be good but I have not found anything like that. Anyone have any good suggestions?

Comment

Originally posted by Rebecca Petris View Post
                        About on a par with the some of our UK members who have been told by their doctors "Well, you just don't make tears any more and that's all there is to it. Learn to live with it." Irresponsible, medically unjustifiable advice.

This is where wraparound eyewear like Panoptx or Wiley-X has a major edge because it is not only a pair of sunglasses but also has the eyecup filling the space between the frame and face - so you block peripheral light as well, which for some people with severe photophobia can make all the difference.

Regarding darker lenses: The higher end lenses often aren't nearly as dark as the cheaper ones. You'll notice this with Panoptx too - the cheapest type of lens they offer is their darkest, while the polarized does not filter out as much light. So for example, a lot of Panoptx users I know will use the light-adjusting lenses for indoors or dark days/evenings and the baseline lenses for outdoor use on bright days.

However, UV protection is another matter... best to find a good optician and talk to them about the differences to be clear.

The opticians and doctors seem to be at a loss. I have high end astigmatism and my prescription strength seem to be to high, so unfortunately wrap-around are not possible.

I have talked to several opticians and they have no clue. Most of them have never heard about photophobia and asked me what that word meant. I have found one optician that has tried to help me as much as she could, but she is at wits end herself. She said if she could she would try to get my lenses darkened more, but by law they are only allowed to darken it to 80% supposedely and that is not blocking enough light.

I guess I will have to live with it somehow........Right now I am back to my polarized/mirrored lenses, which bother me from time to time also, but I have to wear something outside unfortunately. This is a situation that makes me feel very helpless and of course people that don't suffer from it really have no clue:-(.

Comment

Originally posted by NYer View Post
                          You might try polarized lenses - they do seem to help with glare. I have trouble with light coming in from the top and the sides of most sunglasses. "Wrap arounds" are better for that but all the ones I've tried are not optically correct (even when they say they are). Some sort of attachment to block light entry on the sides and top would be good but I have not found anything like that. Anyone have any good suggestions?

That's what I am wearing now. I wished I could paint my lenses darker just to help with the light, but of course that's not possible......It's a despairing situation for sure, my husband doesn't understand either.
                          Have you thought about maybe wearing a hat that might help shade the face more?

Comment

That's what I do - I wear a visor.

Comment

Working...
                            X