Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tired of dry eyes, but glad to find this site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tired of dry eyes, but glad to find this site!

I was so happy to find this forum! I have been taking cod liver oil and flaxseed oil capsules for dry eyes, and I did a search to see if that is a safe combination. That's when I stumbled across this site. I had no idea so many people have this. I'm the only one I know that has it, so I guess it is comforting to know I'm not alone in this.... Sorry that you all have to suffer, too!
    I have no idea what caused the dry eye, but I've tried everything: tear duct plugs, Restasis, and every OTC eye drop know to man. All of these things aggravated my eyes, and actually made them even drier than before. I've been to three different opthamologists; none of them have been very helpful. Oh, well. I know you all are experiencing similar problems, so I'll stop now! Thanks to everyone for sharing all of this info, I have found some useful info on this site.

Hi nymaddie and welcome.

Originally posted by nymaddie View Post
    I've tried everything: tear duct plugs, Restasis, and every OTC eye drop know to man.
    Well, the good news (well, in a twisted sort of way ) is that what you've listed... "plug & drop", essentially... is just scratching the surface. For some types of dry eye that is ample, for others far from it.

On this page (which badly needs updating but is still better than nothing) you can get some ideas about some of the additional things some of us use.
    Last edited by Rebecca Petris; 12-Feb-2008, 19:17. Reason: Oops. No pun intended on the scratching thing, honest!
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

Comment

include a stop at the Dr. Holly section

Welcome, nymaddie. . .and so glad to have you among us. . .

I hope that when you get a chance, you will take a good look at a new section that Rebecca has opened for us, which gives Dr. Frank Holly a venue for explaining the wealth of scientific information he has amassed on the true nature of the human tear film, the human cornea, and our conjunctivae.

Most ophthalmologists today were trained on theories and materials that utterly fail to touch the biophysical issues that determine how out tear films operate. Possibly this area is the missing link in your doctors' training, and, therefore, in your treatment, so far.

I've tried every drop and ointment manufactured in the U.S., and also been through clinical trials of a variety of medicines. All of this was done under the supervision of some of the biggest-name docs in dry eye. . .Nothing made a difference for me until I came to this site and learned about the products that Dr. Holly conceived of. . .These work primarily through high oncotic pressure. . .Though their ingredients resemble those of some products on drugstore shelves, they work entirely differently. . .Anyway, please stop by Dr. Holly's section here, to get a sense of all this, and then think about a trial of Dwelle or Dakrina. . .If these do not appeal, you will still get lots of great info. on why ointments may be problematic, and on why hypotonic drops are not necessarily the only or best approach to cornea epithelium problems. . .
      <Doggedly Determined>

Comment

Working...
      X