• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• From Cape Cod/ Need help

Hi,
    This is my first posting. I was recently diagnosed with Blepharitis
    about 4 mth ago, I have seen two Ophtalogists who both same the same
    thing. I have been on the following course of treatment. Omega 3 supplement,
    dox, warm moist compresses, Restasis for 7 weeks. Had one trial of steroid
    eye drops and at one time antibiotic ointment. I understand that a lot of people on this web sight have been going through this a lot longer than I have, but I really do not know how much more of this I can take. I am crying
    all the time and so stressed out. I feel hopeless. I think that I have had all
    of the symptoms:

Burning
    Stinging
    Tearing
    Dry eye
    Feels like something is in my eye.
    Itchy

I have had a slight improvement, but not a lot.

I have ok days and bad days and my family is ready to have me committed. Any suggestions?

My eyes have improved--finally---after being bone dry for 7 years. Had all your symptoms, and the things that have helped me the most are: (kind of in order that they happened)

1. Using lots of Genteal Gel at night
    2. Using TranquilEyes sleep goggles (sold here)
    3. Got plugs for lower puncta
    4. Stopped wearing soft contact lenses.
    5. Stopped using Restasis (it never increased tears--I'm probably allergic, too)
    6. Started doing Meibomian gland expression and cleaning using Q-tips (described in Dr. Latkany's book "The Dry Eye Remedy"
    7. Found a pro-active and sympathetic doctor who has dry eyes himself

Doctors always prescribe Restasis, but it's not the "cure-all" that it's made out to be. Can be quite an irritant, in fact. They sure sell a lot of it---and with telling people that the benefits won't be seen for 8 months---well, you keep going and going, buying more and more. (My experience and opinion, of course). Even my eye doctor says the castor oil in the drop causes a bad reaction in some people.

I benefited from using the foam-lined Panoptx glasses (when I was still wearing contacts)---those or Wiley-X, or even the Onion-Peelers Glasses (Dry Eye Shop) have really helped people.

Calli

Comment

Hi , Jillian ,

I just wanted to say I am sorry you are feeling so bad , and to let you know that it is normal to feel sad about this . I haven't had this that long, either , and I have other issues to deal with , but i can say that it does get better , as many on this site told me it would . The advice Calli gave you is good , and I hope you try some of the things she's listed . I thought it was the end of the world , but life goes on and we learn to pick ourselves up , dust ourselves off , and find a new normal and even happiness (: My thoughts are with you ! Good luck , and God bless ! Nancy

Comment

The biggest point I want to make is to urge you to keep seeking out help. There is a whole array of things that can be done. Get yourself to a doctor who understands dry eyes and who will take THE TIME
        required to get you more help. Until you have done this, there is a tremendous amount of hope. We have dry eye docs on here that you can travel to see if necessary. You didn't mention plugs at all. That is a whole avenue that could solve the problem entirely. It did for me.

Dry eyes are such a tedious problem for doctors to deal with. They need a lot of time to work with you and try different things. Most doctors don't have an interest in doing this. They don't have the time, want to take the time and have much bigger and more lucritive fish to fry. Dry eyes will not make a opthamologist rich. Therefore, you do have to look for the needle in the haystack. We can steer you to one of those types of doctors that will give you the time to find a way to make you feel much better.

Finding the underlying problem causing your dry eyes is most important. Sometimes a reason can't be found like with me. But I was lucky enough to have a doctor that cared about my pain. She took her time and we tried many many things. We found what worked for me. Today I live in comfort. I do have to maintain my lid scrubs 4 times a day to prevent the burning using a diluted baby shampoo solution. I also have been wearing plugs in all 4 punctums for 16 years. Plugging the lowers did nothing for me at all. Plugging all 4 made a difference between total pain and almost total comfort.

Don't despair, there is help to be had. But you will need to advocate for yourself and push forward until you find someone who can help you.

Comment

Cape Cod, Ma

Hi,
          Thank you all for your comments and I will try some of the things
          mentioned. It is nice to know that I am not alone.

Jill

Comment

Jill,
            Please see my post today in the success section.

I also suffered terribly from blepharitis, so I know how low you can get.
            I had resigned myself ,to just being content ,whenever I was not in a major depression.
            But now I have hope again. I don't know if what worked for me will necessarily work for you,
            but just keep trying till something improves.
            It can happen!

Comment

Working...
            X