Been reading awhile, I just got scleral lenses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Been reading awhile, I just got scleral lenses

Hi! My name is Andrea. I have lived with dry eye for many years. When I was in high school my vision really started to change, then I couldn't wear contacts--it was kerataconus. My vision deteriorated rapidly and severely. I had cornea transplants during my senior year of college. It was great to be able to read and recognize people and drive again. It was a miracle.
    I continued to struggle with dry eye, frequent erosions, abrasions, and filaments. I like to refer to it as living with "carpet burn of the eye." I got married, have five great kids, and still a lot of eye problems.
    After another sad visit to the optometrist in December--he had said that he couldn't really help me with vision correction in my glasses anymore because my eyes were so oddly shaped--I came home and spent some time online--i found The DRY EYE ZONE and DRY EYE TALK.
    I heard about Dr. Gemoules in Dallas and how he was using a scleral type lens to help people with refractive issues and dry eye.
    Well, on Monday, I came down to Dallas. He used several amazing instruments to take measurements of my eyes. I saw on the screen what I think I have always known--I have very wacky eyes.
    On Tuesday, I got to try on a first pair of lenses made especially for my eyes only. Instantly, I could read the 20/25 line!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Currently, I am experiencing the euphoria that comes when the darkness is ushered away by clear and beautiful light. THe second set of lenses he made today now allow me to read the 20/15 line.
    I am on a journey and there are many days to walk ahead. For today, I feel great excitement and hope for tomorrow.
    It's such a gift to be able to even sit down at this computer and write.
    Thank you for reading,
    Andrea
    Walkin' by faith, not by sight

Your story is great!

Hi, Andrea.

Thanks for telling your story; I cannot believe that you have had a transplant at such a young age. Have you been diagnosed with a specific condition? Your story is really inspirational, and it speaks to what this site can do in its connecting people with the information and resources they need. I'm so grateful to Rebecca for creating and helping this community.

I hope that you keep us posted on further improvements.

--Liz

Comment

Wonderful! Wonderful!

I loved your story! I sincerely hope I will be able to do the same thing in the coming months. As most of you know I was diagnosed with early basel cell skiin cancer on my lower eyelid. I developed a small erosion in the cancer right after getting my bandage lens. I was lucky enough to have my wacky immune system decide to heal the erosion just a week before I was scheduled to have pretty serious surgery to remove it. If it stays in remission I will hopefully get my sclerals from Dr. Gemoules sometimes this summer.

Congradulations to you Andrea! And thank you Rebecca for bringing this place to us to learn about Dr. Gemoules.

Billye

Comment

Working...
      X