Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Found this site when searching for Sjogren's symptoms.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Found this site when searching for Sjogren's symptoms.

Hi - I have been seeing my internist, ophthalmologist, dentist, and ENT - all for symptoms I now understand are part of Sjogren's. My ophthalmologist actually diagnosed it a couple of years ago and put me on Restasis. My internist ran blood work - testing for ANA. That came back negative and I assumed it was a bad diagnosis. I saw my ophthalmologist again a few weeks ago and he was adamant it was autoimmune. My left eye was ulcerated. He said my eyes are as dry as he sees in his practice and not from just being a post-menopausal woman. My dentist has had me on a prescription toothpaste and Biotene. He diagnosed burning mouth/tongue syndrome as well as dry mouth with a propensity for cavities. My ENT saw me as having a "swallow" and nasal membrane problem. The swallow test did show an abnormality in my throat but not such that it would cause the occasional choking I experience. It did show GERD and he put me on Nexium He also put me on a nasal corticosteroid.

After doing research on my own, it became clear that SS doesn't necessarily test ANA positive. The doctors saw me as "parts" - fortunately my ophthalmologist put those parts together. He has prescribed a couple of topical corticosteroids (FML and Lotemax), Salagen (actually the generic, pilocarpine) and placed a punctal plug in my left eye. He couldn't get one in the right eye because the duct is too small for the dilator.

I have used eye drops and ointments, vaporizers and humidifiers, and taken fish oil and flax seed oil for several years. I was probably receiving the right treatment for my symptoms but it still somehow feels better knowing what is wrong rather than thinking I had a lot of unrelated problems.

It was good to find this site. I hope I can learn from the experiences of others and will willingly share mine.

Thanks for listening.

LMM

Hi LMM,

I just noticed your post in the Welcome thread and I moved it into its own thread because sometimes add-on posts from new members don't get seen as easily. Anyway, WELCOME and hope you can find lots of good info and help here!
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

Comment

Hi IMM........I'm also from Michigan and have Sjogrens syndrome. Welcome to DEZ...........Lucy
      Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Welcome Lucy

Hi Lucy and welcome to the site. I noticed along with DES you have a burning tongue
        / mouth. I too have the same problem but have not found a definite reason for the symptoms. I use both Biotene toothpaste and mouth rinse and Oasis moisturizer by my dentist recommendation. I do have Type 2 diabetes with peripheral neuropathy. Any suggestions . . . please advise! I take Restasis for DES plus NutreTear and Dakrina when needed. Janumet, Neurontin, and alpha lipoic acid for Type 2. I take Omega 3 and flaxseed. Good Luck

Comment

I have Sjogrens Syndrome and that's the reason for the burning/numb lips. I'd not say it was my tongue. I have terribly dry mouth from SS. Lucy
          Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Working...
          X