Glad to finally be able to join this forum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glad to finally be able to join this forum

I have attempted to put my treatment regime in the profile box several times and it does not save all of it. So I assume it is too lengthy. I have a current subject I am very anxious to post and get responses for, so I didn’t want to take up too much space here.

In short, I have an extremely severe Chronic Dry Eye Syndrome. It was first diagnosed 15 years ago. At that time I had to stop wearing contact lens. It was initially caused by very high doses of anti-inflammatory medicines used over more than a year. I was not physically bothered by it in those earlier years as long as I didn’t wear contacts.

Tens years later, I had been on other medications such as anti-depressants and anti-convulsive, for an ongoing neurological condition. When this disorder began aggravated and landed me in the hospital, the extensive treatments with high doses of medications by I.V.s completely destroyed what ever lubrication and moisture I had left.

The most unbearable pain and discomfort began and never seized. Even many years later, after completely eliminating all medications. I first became addicted to Vaseline and gave up wearing eye make-up. I would flush my eyes with saline solution, but it never lasted or helped much.

For a few years now, I have been under the treatment of an Ophthalmologistand have been told I was doing everything possible medically. Drops, eye masks, warm compresses, Restasis and other drops, etc. And finally punctal plugs in the last couple of years.

I have never found enough relief, to feel even close to normal however. I am amazed at how much discomfort and pain this condition delivers every hour of every day. It has been very helpful to read the posts and see the open discussions here. I have been trying to participate for a few months now, but could not get the sign-up process to work for me.

Please see my additional post about difficulty with ongoing infection from my Smart Plug.

Thank you so much, everyone here, for being willing to talk about this.

Rose

Holiday weekend

Rose,
    see my other post. In the meantime I just wanted to welcome you. The daily treatment by some of the longtime members may give you some pointers on how to get some relief. It's really a trial and error for each person because each person is so different.

Others will answer after the holiday.

Billye

Comment

Welcome! The drops sold on this site are worth trying when you get the chance. I'm having a better spring season than normal, and I've increase my usage of Dwelle in the past couple of months. I appreciate every bit of improvement I can get.

Diana
      Never play leapfrog with a unicorn.

Comment

Rose: I second Dianat's recommendation. Try ordering a bottle of Dwelle from the Dry Eye Shop, and give it two weeks to work. I think you may be amazed at the results.

Also, if you don't have them already, I'd recommend you pick up a pair of moisture chambers or goggles, like 7EYEs or WileyXs (try them on locally first, though, since getting a pair that fits and creates a good seal is important). The goggles will give you great relief, especially when environmental conditions are adverse for DES.

Please keep us posted on your progress!
        Terri

Comment

Which Drops to try first?

I am considering trying the Dwelle, even though my Dr. never heard of them. I am following the thread on these drops also. (Which to try first Dwelle or Dakrina, so I can still see when using them?)

I dislike any thick drops and all the residue I get when using, but I have to give it a try, cause I am having so much vision difficulties and changes. Dr. says it from the irregularity in the surface of my eye and the tear content, from constant dryness. I don’t know though, just put the lighter Naturale drops in my eyes and I can barely see to read this post.

I think I’ll ask questions on the Dwelle thread too. I’m open for more suggestions, ‘cause by evening I can barely focus.

Thank you all, please keep the comments coming.

Comment

Hi, Rose.

If your doctor thinks it's okay, I'd try NutraTear or Dwelle first. My mom has dry eyes (undiagnosed and untreated by a doctor), and she was watching me with my problems. Then, she visited, and I gave her a bottle of NutraTear, because she wears rigid gas perm. contact lenses. She said that she used it twice in the mornings and before she went to bed at night, and in three days she could see the ticker tape running at the bottom of CNN's screen from across the room. She couldn't when she first came.

So, she went home and bought Dakrina, thinking that more is better. I never tried Dakrina, so I cannot speak to it. However, Rebecca has some good things to say about the differences on the product pages, and Dr. Holly's article that I keep re-reading does a fantastic job of explaining the differences in the three drops, considering various causes of dry eye. Because Dakrina was formulated for people with Sjogren's syndrome, and I don't have that (yet), I went for Dwelle.

While my mom is switching from a combination of Dakrina and NutraTear to Dwelle and NutraTear, I just stick with Dwelle. I use it about five times a day and in the middle of the night, if I wake up. It took about two months for me to notice a real difference.

I sure hope that you find something that works for you. I was unable to read a computer screen clearly around this time last year, and it is frightening.

All the best to you,
            Liz

Comment

Working...
            X